Pirelli 2013 F1 tyre range

Because long races are never about driving as fast as you can, they always require tactics and sometimes that means driving slower than you can to save tyres, fuel or mechanical components. Like Galahad said, back in ye olde F1 drivers needed to protect their machinery which meant that they couldn't as fast as they could all the time. It's always been this way, F1 drivers have always been limited by their cars(/car components). If you really want to see drivers going as fast as they actually can then you're probably better off watching drag races.

EDIT: Also what Galahad said :)

No, I want to watch F1 races like this.

As for the criticism of the tyres, it's all rubbish really. The teams are all in the same boat and at the end of the day (or race ;)) the team that does the best job wins.

Here we go again. So never mind that it's Formula 1, supposedly the pinnacle of motor sport, the quality of the equipment doesn't matter as long as all teams have the same to deal with.

Let them all drive 1970's Beetle cabriolets with 165R15 road tyres then.

Just because it's articficial why is it silly? F1 uses 2.4 litre V8 engines, these engines are not at the pinacle of drivetrain technology but no one compains about them.

Because the tyres are mandated to not last very long to make it more of a 'spectacle'. I'm not aware of the engine manufacturers being forced by the FIA to specify their engines to not last a whole race.

I think that tyres are very different to engines, and the comparison is a good one. Next year however, the engines are changing, and although the power output may not be the greatest, I am sure that in terms of specific outputs, and technology they will be right up there.

That said, I have no real issue with the current tyres, I do think that they got the selection wrong for China, but hey ho. I would certainly not like to see one team running away with it because they are no longer required to compromise car performance for benefits in other areas.

Am I the only one who thinks that a track (not to mention the cars and drivers' helmets) littered by huge chunks of tyre debris, euphemistically called 'marbles', is not exactly displaying the pinnacle of motor sport in a positive way?

And how can it be good that the driveable portion of track is now so narrowed by this debris to barely more than the racing line, that drivers hardly dare pull out to overtake? Even good old fashioned rain didn't do that; a skilled driver on a wet track could actually find more grip by exploring other parts of the track in order to gain an advantage. The build up of 2013 tyre debris off the racing line prevents even that possibility.

More durable tyres would result in less marbles too.
It is bizarre as it is actually technically difficult for Pirelli to produce compounds that degrade easily and also in a consistent manner. I just think it would be better & more relevant to the outside world if their efforts could be directed at making tyres more durable, rather than less. And more in the spirit of cost-cutting too.

During the 2011 pre-season testing, when drivers began complaining of the golf ball-sized marbles the disinte-Pirellis were shedding, Pirelli remarked that they were due to the inadequate development time since the FIA let them the contract. Forty races later, they still shed clag by the tonne and dramatically narrow the racing line. Anybody else see a pattern here?

Just because it's articficial why is it silly? F1 uses 2.4 litre V8 engines, these engines are not at the pinacle of drivetrain technology but no one compains about them.
Au contraire, mon frère. I have done nothing BUT complain about the V-8s. The day they were mandated is the day F1 lost all pretense of NOT being a spec racing series.

The chief reason the 2.4L V-8 has such potential is its 300cc cylinder, which is a "golden mean" displacement (for the NA engine). But we only know this to a certainty because the era when V-8s, V-10s and V-12s all competed head-to-head provided apples-to-apples thermal efficiency data to prove it empirically. Which is the only reason Ferrari would have risked the wrath even of a dead Enzo Ferrari by sawing two cylinders off its V-12 racing motors (something they still have never done to a production automobile). Because the V-10s better thermal efficiency bested the V-12s better breathing. But developments of that sort now are a relic of the dustbin because the TR no longer permit the bold experiments that once allowed -- encouraged even -- teams to run everything from L-4s to H-16s to gas turbines (and would have allowed ****els, but no one tried them).

There is no financial benefit from the TR imposing technical limitations. It will not reduce a team's spending by one shilling. If a team have a €100M budget for R&D, and if the TR only allow any redesign or modification to the steering wheel, they will spend the entire €100M on steering wheel R&D.

The FIA are drunk with their own success. So long as the sport's revenues continue to climb, they think everything they have done was perfect. Which reminds me of a remark made concerning President George W. Bush, who was said to have been born on third base, but thought he'd hit a triple. No reflection on President Dubya, but the FIA do seem to believe they are entirely the reason for the sport's successes.

But I digress.

These tyres are un-raceable. They were when first introduced and remain so. What we -- the fans -- were sold was that the new Pirellis would allow more aggressive driving, but for shorter stints. It was billed as "the kind of breakthrough in terms of overtaking and on-track action that fans have been eagerly awaiting for years." But the only part of that promise that has seen fulfillment is the shorter life. And if there is an increase in tyre-inspired overtaking, it most commonly is happening when the overtaken driver has been told to "mind the tyres, do not fight for position."

As I've said before, F1 with disinte-Pirellis is like the Olympic 100M finals with all the best sprinters in the world wearing hobbles.

The epic on-track duels that once were the hallmark of F1 had nothing to do with the frequency of put stops. And long-lived tyres were never the cause of the dearth of overtaking. The two principle causes remain: 1) An overdependence on wing-generated downforce, which covets an undisturbed incoming airflow, and 2) The lack of disparity of performance between cars, which derives from an the lack of diversity permitted under the TR.

It is not possible to increase the number of pit stops but it also puts increased importance on the performance of the pit crew. If races are to be decided on pit stops, let's carry that principle to a logical conclusion: simply ban driving the cars -- except to and fro on pit road -- and base the WDC and WCC on a pit stop competition. That also should save the teams a few hundred million bob.

To the point, I care far more how fast Lewis Hamilton can drive a car around the circuit than how fast Mercedes can change a tyre. And I'd prefer, to the greatest extent possible, the drivers resolve the matter of who's best among themselves, without requiring their minions intervene. No Deus ex machina. No one would think no-stoppers were a problem, provided there still were back and forth, lap after lap battles for position. But that requires the FIA fix the root causes of the lack of overtaking.

Which is unlikely to the extreme, considering their actions would indicate they have no clue why overtaking ever became so rare to start with. And neither disinte-Pirellis nor DRS nor CURSE nor all the gimcrackery they ever could devise will relieve the underlying condition. Nothing they can do will, unless and until they first admit it was their own actions caused the problem.

Vettel set the fastest lap of the race, on the softs, on the lap immediately following their warm-up lap. The very next lap (54), they started going off and he was slower by 0.448. It also bears mention that Vettel's fastest lap of the race was near about a quarter of a second slower than his Q3 best time, which he set on the MEDIUM tyres!!!

Yet Button, who stopped 2 laps before Vettel, set his fastest lap of the race on the last lap...

1:53.549
1:40.306
1:41.090
1:40.738
1:40.741
1:40.729
1:38.058

There are 2 ways of dealing with the soft tyres... blast them hard on the first lap, and destroy them a la Vettel, or alternatively, make them last by starting with slower laps a la Button....

May I humbly suggest that folks who pine for the good old days before DRS, Pirelli tyres and with refuelling tune into SkyF1 now and watch the re-run of Bahrain 2009. I'd forgotten about the obligatory 1 second gap between cars. I guess some people like that sort of thing.

Vettel, for example, was all over the road but Rubens (in the double diffuser brawn) couldn't even get close enough to even have a look. I did see one overtake in the thirteen laps I have been watching so far.

Stop press: overtake number two, Rubens on Glock. Cue Brundle, "Timo must have a problem".

Yes, the pre-aero era was better but you can't unlearn that knowledge. Even a complete rewrite of the regs, as happened for 2009 to try and make it easier to follow, turned out to be futile.

Back
Top Bottom