Pirelli 2013 F1 tyre range

Any one else think that the teams themselves should be able to choose what 2 compounds of tyres their bring to a race? It just seems silly this you have to have such and such tyres for this race and such and such tyres for another race. Why can't teams just choose the two compounds of their choice and live with the consequences of calling it right or wrong.

We could have in Monaco:

Mercedes: Medium and Soft

whilst Mclaren go for:
Medium and Super Soft

would be interesting to see which team goes for which compouds like :).

I just managed to sum up succinctly how I feel about the Pirelli tyres after this weekend and how Pirelli have actually failed to meet their brief. See if you agree:

"Pirelli were briefed with making the tyres so that it was a challenge for teams to be on the right tyre at the right time. What they achieved this week was setting a challenge to discard the wrong tyre at the right time. The extreme of the soft tyre meant that their emphasis was all wrong."

I just hope that Pirell will bring forward a tire, whereas drivers like Jenson doesn't have to ask his team, " can I race them " and being given a response of.....no.

I have no problem with the Pirelli tires since their introduction in 2011. The 2013 crop seem similar to 2012, the only difference I see is that Pirelli are being a bit more aggressive with their tire selection for the weekends (which they are now back-tracking on). Although in principle I like the idea of a large gap between compounds as it allows different drivers and teams to use multiple strategic routes, I dislike the fact that it means qualifying is effectively only half as long as it should be because it incentivises drivers not to run.

As for the criticism of the tyres, it's all rubbish really. The teams are all in the same boat and at the end of the day (or race ;)) the team that does the best job wins. It's mostly the leading teams that talk negatively about the tires because they have become accustomed to winning with the tires they had before. Teams will always talk and levy to have different pieces of technology banned, 'coincidentally' technology that they are not at the forefront of. Red Bull in particular were particularly vocal about the tires in Malaysia, notice how they also voiced their complaints at Belgium 2011 when they had cambered their tires beyond what Pirelli recommended, winners want to continue winning and if they can't do that they complain. On the flip side of the argument there is Lotus, a team that manged to set fastest lap and do it with only two pit stops in Australia, they have never struggled with tire wear. So naturally they like delicate tires because it suits their competitve needs.

Pirelli needs to ignore the political motivations of the teams and drivers (obviously if all the teams/drivers are saying the same thing then it may hold merit) and just make tires that keep the racing interesting and the fans happy. They are technically providing tires to be used by Formula 1 teams first and foremost, the tires they create should be for the overall good of the sport, which is basically to make fans happy(not an easy thing admittidly), their public image through the creation of these tires should come second.

Raikkonen baffled by tyre complaints

“I think you can push on these tyres, but it’s never perfect. You cannot always push 100%. I think they are very good in qualifying and have good grip, so it’s up to you and you have to look after them a bit more in the race,” he said.

“It’s not really any different from last year – at least for us anyway – so I don’t really understand why people are complaining.”

http://www.f1zone.net/news/raikkonen-ba ... nts/18539/

I guess that JB just couldn't make up his mind....:)

I've just looked through my notes...Lap 28 ..JB asks how old the tyres are on the Mercedes...he is told they are 2 laps older than his.....(LH in pits lap 22).. I guess JB..then made up his mind .. ...if LH had been on older tyres, he might have ...:thinking:

Just because it's articficial why is it silly? F1 uses 2.4 litre V8 engines, these engines are not at the pinacle of drivetrain technology but no one compains about them.

Because long races are never about driving as fast as you can, they always require tactics and sometimes that means driving slower than you can to save tyres, fuel or mechanical components. Like Galahad said, back in ye olde F1 drivers needed to protect their machinery which meant that they couldn't as fast as they could all the time. It's always been this way, F1 drivers have always been limited by their cars(/car components). If you really want to see drivers going as fast as they actually can then you're probably better off watching drag races.

EDIT: Also what Galahad said :)

Back
Top Bottom