Perez move on Räikkönen at Monaco 2013

I just watched this again and I think Perez just got carried away with himself. Kimi however sort of half blocked and did it too late. He should have known that he would try the move again as he had done it on him before. I reckon Kimi thought, "Well, he won't try that again", and then when Perez did go for it again he thought, "Well bollocks to that, you're not pulling that one on me you little shit", and then squeezed him late.into the move.

In conclusion, Perez was taking the piss with attempting that overtake again but Kimi was the one who caused the colision and I'm sure he fully expected a collision as he moved over to the right. Perez was over racing and Kimi was driving with red mist at the audacity. 50:50, the scamp and the bully.

Watched it again. Immediate reappraisal.: If Checo had made it round the apex on the first attempt at Kimi then it would have been the same as the other moves and he would have been in front. That was where his mistake was. He needed to make the corner to make it a legitimate attempt. The second incident was Kimi's fault for defending too late and moving over in a braking zone.

Perez could have backed out of it

And that's a point I think is in dispute - could he? I thought you had to commit quite early on if you are going for a move in that corner. He was completely reliant on Kimi not taking a defensive line through there and unfortunately that didn't happen.

Kimi's entitled to defend but if it was really as cut and dry as all Perez fault, why didn't he get a grid penalty this race? If Kimi new what Perez's game was why didn't he take the inside line that Perez had been taking rather than cut in?

Yes. By commuting to the overtake, Perez had effectively claimed ownership of that piece of track as there was nowhere else he was going to be. It's not the nicest type of racing to be on the receiving end of when the track in front of you is claimed by the driver behind you but it's perfectly legitimate.

Hamberg, I suspect he didn't get any penalty because he DNF'd quite soon afterwards, which to my mind is the perfect finish to a bloody silly move.

Checo had tried it once against Kimi and just got away it. Did he imagine that Kimi wasn't going to see it coming again - stupid, stupid boy.

In both of Perez's attempts Kimi followed virtually the same trajectory into the chicane. Since the first attempt didn't work the second stab was never going to work either. In addition, in the second incident, since Kimi was leaving even less room it was obvious to Perez that he was not going to make it. So much so that he (Perez) was already braking before his front tyre was level with the rear of Kimi's. Attached are some screenshots of in car footage with graphics: In no way had Perez claimed the chicane in the second incident and he knew it even if a lot of punters didn't.

Perez Raikkonen crash Monaco Slide 1.jpgPerez Raikkonen crash Monaco Slide 2.jpgPerez Raikkonen crash Monaco Slide 3.jpg

Thanks Fenderman and I guess this illustrates why I like Alonso so much (no I'm not kewee in disguise), he doesn't go for it every lap but usually stalks his prey, understands their lines/movement and adapts to get the better of them when ready. A skill of patience that may not be in Perez repertoire which will be a shame as he's certainly got the aptitude to make ballsy moves.

Indeed, and I think that he does have the capacity to do that, providing his team ensure that he does recognise when an error is his. I was somewhat perturbed by comments form the team that he did no wrong and that Whitmarsh saw no need to talk to Sergio about the incident. Having found footage with the graphics I think Sergio probably doesn't need telling as such but I would have thought that constructive criticism from his manager wouldn't be out of place. Of course what the team say in public is not necessarily a reflection of how they dealt with it in private.

Fenderman - I would hope, as you rightly point out, that Whitmarsh has dealt with the matter differently in private. Crucifying his driver in public rarely achieves anything and can lead to a certain level of antagonism; the maximal example of this acrimony being the fall-out between Nelsinho Piquet and Flavio Briatore which cost both men their Formula One careers.

Perez said:
"There's no point in blaming just Kimi. Of course, I tried a risky move but, at the end of the day there was one who could have avoided the collision. In my opinion, that's Kimi"
I actually agree, entirely.

What can I say other than at least he tried to overtake someone which is more than most of the rest of the grid did. It didn't work and it takes two to have an accident.

I think victim is a little harsh in the F1 accident sense. Perez probably tried a bit too hard but Kimi could have yielded. Grosjean's attack on the back of the Toro Rosso was perhaps more one sided.

It's a fine line. I can't argue that a lot of overtaking moves require your competitor to cede or crash, but going into that chicane at Monaco Perez was lucky to get away with it as many times as he did.

I have never been a fan of racing crashes and that was the situation Perez was courting in livening up the race.

IMHO, Perez and Grosjean are exhibiting two entirely different mental characteristics. Perez exhibits excitement and exuberance with a bit of miscalculation. Whilst he occasionally falls victim to the consequences of a miscalculation, he will probably learn to dial that sort of thing out and become a better driver for it.

Grosjean on the other hand is exhibiting clear symptoms of a psychological deficit with regard to spatial awareness. He appears to be compensating for his "SA" deficit by doing much more on a conscious level so his planning and reaction times are too long. Even Eddie Jordan has noticed Rogro's issue but doesn't know the name for the condition, saying "... he seems to have a problem with his peripheral ...". It's called spatial awareness, Eddie :D.

Back
Top Bottom