Poll Out of Ten - 2014 Spanish Grand Prix

2014 Spanish Grand Prix Out of Ten

• Total voters
one team and one driver has already won and that is the problem, we are only 5 races in of a 19 race series..

I guess that would be a problem, if it were true... :twisted:

In reality, the Mercedes drivers will be scrapping for every single point this season and the Driver's Championship will likely go down to the final race. The WDC may hinge on a single retirement, which is why we're likely to see a number of battles for the race win going forward. A rather enticing prospect for the unbiased viewer.

Quintessentially,

The difference is that this year the FIA, being total idiots, have banned development,thereby casting the Merc advantage in stone. I fully expect that most teams will give up on their this-year's car within two to three more races and concentrate completely on next year's sled.

I also predict that the viewership numbers will be down at least 25% from last year for the final races, which will undoubtedly cause Bernie (assuming he isn't incarcerated) and the FIA no end of heartburn.

Looking back a bit, if the FIA ban had been in effect in 1978, there would never had been a Brabham BT46B "fan car" to break up the Lotus 79 dominanace (which was no where near as total as this year's Merc anyway".

Quintessentially the drivers get an extra set of tyres for Q3 now so there is no harm in doing two runs in that session like there used to be...
Yes but everyone else was doing two runs back then without spare rubber except Redbull. It doesn't surprise me that people are happy to pick holes in the current Formula yet were happy to put up with Redbull's crap for 4years.

siffert_fan - I predict that won't happen as long as the Merc drivers continue to fight each other. FIA obviously haven't banned development, engine freeze excepted. Aero still has a big role to play in the pecking order and the whole Mercedes engine superiority argument is a bit of a red herring. BRDC have reported record ticket sales for Silverstone this year and viewing figures are much healthier than they were last year. Just look at the many battles up and down the field
  1. Hamilton v Rosberg
  2. Alonso v Kimi
  3. Vettel v Ricciardo
  4. Williams' resurgence
  5. Double points in last race (I’m coming round to the idea)
  6. Canada – always a great race
  7. Vettel to prove that he's more than just a one trick pony
  8. Sutil v Maldonado
  9. Bailiffs in Lotus garage
  10. Whitmarsh possibly emerging from his bolthole
  11. Bernie possibly banged up and relinquishing control
How could the above not keep even the casual fan interested??

I also predict that the viewership numbers will be down at least 25% from last year for the final races

This is quite bizarre. TV figures reached a nadir last year during Seb's second half waltz. This year, with an actual title battle brewing you can be sure that this years figures will dwarf last years.

I know you and Meph want to sound the death knell for Formula One, but you're both so completely off base that's it's nearing comical status. You both act as if F1 has never seen an all-conquering car. We're fortunate that Mercedes have no interest in team orders that guided Vettel and Schumacher in their dominant seasons that quickly became snoozers.

Is there really a title battle brewing though?

I would have said yes if Rosberg won either Bahrain or Spain, but he's won neither and lost out on tracks that he's supposedly better at than Hamilton. He's getting hyped up for Monaco, I'm afraid, whoever gets pole in that race is the winner, just like the rest of the season.

The driver behind can't go for the undercut because he's in the same team, all he can do is alternate his strategy, and before he does it, his team mate can easily cover it.

People are quick to hype this season up, before and currently.

We've had four shit races, and one good one, yet people are clinging on to Bahrain and saying this season has been great so far.

No, we haven't. It's clear that there's one team way out front, then a second team with a margin over the rest.

The biggest cock up in the rules this year has got to be the ban on engine development.

Last edited:
The biggest problem I have with this year is that the rule changes were hopefully going to level the playing field and give us some close racing and for whatever reason the exact opposite has happened, there is an even bigger disparity between the teams than there was before and that is not only disappointing it is bloody annoying as well, knowing we have to sit through another year of the same old shit and just hope that things get better for next year..

Last edited:
If Hamilton has one or two more retirements than Rosberg, then Nico is actually in the pound seat for the title. The Driver's Championship is FAR from decided. Anybody telling you otherwise has a bone to pick...

The Renault engine is just as powerful as the Mercedes, if you set it up that way. Toro Rosso showed that a Renault power unit can head the speed traps if they want. But don't tell RBR that!

Spain was another good, fair race at the front between teammates, something that the RBR duo rarely gave us and was of course forbidden in the Ferrari years. It's utterly amazing how people are scoffing at six tenths!! The race was decided by six freaking tenths!! Ho-hum I guess :facepalm:

The biggest problem I have with this year is that the rule changes were hopefully going to level the playing field and gives some close racing

That was never the goal, nor should it ever be. The FIA is not there to ensure a three team title fight.

And there it is. Your problem is actually with who may win the Championship. I've known this for a while, but I'm glad you have finally come out and said it so bluntly.

Because of this, your opinions carry absolutely no weight as far as I'm concerned.

I don't really care what you think of my opinions, I could say the same about you wanting a certain driver to win no matter what it costs the sport as a whole...

Last edited:
The fact that you think it is "costing" the sport speaks to your blind hatred.

Hamilton fans should never feel ashamed that they are enjoying this season. Like it or not, he's paid his dues.

I think you will find that trying to make F1 a competitive sport is exactly what the FIA try to achieve..

Nope. Not at all. Not even sure how you would go about ensuring that everyone comes up with a solution that provides identical lap times across the field. You're in fantasy land.

I didn't say that Hamilton fans aren't entitled to enjoy their driver winning but If the sport is noncompetitive the rest of the fans will walk away and they don't watch then the sponsors will walk away and if the sponsors walk away F1 will be dead on its ass and so it is in the FIA's interest to try to ensure that this does not happen and that is the plain and simple truth of the matter..

And I notice you are trying to put words in my mouth where did I say I hate Lewis? And where did I say I wanted all the teams to have identical lap times? Nowhere that's where..

siffert_fan
The FIA is no longer the dictatorial organisation like it was under Max. The teams agreed and signed up to the engine freeze and they’ve had nearly 3years of lead time for the switch to hybrid power. There is no guarantee that those lagging behind in engine power would catch up if development was allowed. The front runners are not going to stand still. Redbull’s advantage was often put down to the blown diffuser yet they maintained a significant performance advantage for 4years and in between despite the fact that most teams run the system.

I think freezing engine development was the right thing to do as policing in-season development would’ve been impossible and thrown up too many political storms (see fuel flow meter). It’s bad enough keeping aero development in check as it is without ending up in a farcical situation like we had with Redbull and the engine mapping business at Silverstone a few years ago.

Last edited:
Here's my final word on the Spanish GP.

It was a true race to the finish that resulted in a 6/10 second margin. It's sad that some people are so blind that they can't recognize this result, and are in fact using at as a justification that F1 has turned into complete shit because five drivers (of their choosing of course) from five teams (once again their choice) are not battling hammer and tongs for the lead on every lap.

I wish Monaco was this weekend

Ok - Lewis may only have finished 6 tenths ahead of Nico on Sunday, but it wasn't as if he was seriously threatened for the win, was he? Certainly not from where I was sitting, anyway. Nico has never really demonstrated that killer overtaking instinct, as far as I can recall, so I never felt that he would have been able to make one stick on Lewis anyway (or, to be quite frank, at any time for the rest of the season). His only chance is more unreliability for the 44 car, or a brainfart by Lewis in quali - and even then I'd back Hamilton to overhaul him by the end of the race!

No - I tend to agree with Mephistopheles on this one - F1 is tripping itself up in it's eagerness to please all of the people all of the time, and is ultimately failing to deliver the edge-of-the-seat, sweaty-palmed excitement enough of the time. even the 7-winners-in-7-races at the beginning of 2012 was more to do with teams coming to terms with disintegrating tyres than genuine racing excitement.

I do feel that there is too much of a tendency to look back on distant seasons with rose-tinted specs though. We have an F1 spectacle every other week that draws us in and encourages these endless circular discussions/arguments - without the frisson of disagreement, it really would be dull, wouldn't it?

Back
Top Bottom