Off Throttle Diffuser Ban is GO for Silverstone. So who will be on pole ?

Who will take pole at Silverstone

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tend to agree but I'll wait a while before I make my mind up as I think the car issues, especially those regarding upgrades to those of his competition, have so much to do with his current dominance. I have to say though, it seems to need the patience of an Ox.:rolleyes:

Not to sure of exactly what Marko means with this statement.The OBD will cost them 0.5 seconds a lap.That much is clear.
Then he goes on to say they have taken other measures to make up for that.
So does that mean that in fact their performance will be effectively unchanged.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92717 Red Bull's motorsport advisor Helmut Marko says the team will lose half a second per lap with the introduction of a ban on off-throttle blown diffusers from the British Grand Prix.
But Marko is adamant the team has taken the right measures to make up for that with new set-ups and aerodynamic updates.
The ban, which is likely to affect most teams to some degree, will kick in in next week's race at Silverstone.
"We expect to lose approximately 0.5 seconds per lap without the blown diffuser," said Marko.

On the evidence of Valencia, it pains to me to admit that my ghast will be flabbered if anyone other than Vettel is on pole at Silverstone.

(That's not to say I'm not hoping that something different will happen - I'm starting to lean towards the idea that qualifying should be abolished altogether...:unsure:)

Helmut Marko reckons Red Bull will lose around 0.5 secs a lap. If this is true than the McLarens and Ferraris will be 1.5 seconds slower ;)

He sounds as though he has been "burning the midnight oil" on this.It will be interesting to see just how the weekend pans out.
Some of what he is saying is though I think brought about by frustration with the FIA for changing the goalposts mid season.
As usual I will adopt my "wait and see philosophy" on this.

Interesting how Newey almost suggests that he thinks Ferrari could have a big influence behind the reg changes as their exhaust system isn't the best:-

"The obvious parallel is when active suspension was banned at the end of '93, where there was no regulation change. Ferrari couldn't get their active to work and suddenly it was illegal for the next year.

"It's easy to fall into the Machiavellian conspiracy theories. Whether that's true or not, I don't know and I can't comment. My read of it would be that, of our main competitors, which are clearly McLaren and Ferrari, then Ferrari probably haven't got their exhaust to work that well so they are quite happy to see the back of it.

"McLaren probably don't know whether they are going to lose more or less than us. But probably on the basis that they could probably do with a wild card thrown into the pack, they are probably relieved to have something that is different," he added.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92870

Here we go with the "Reds under the beds" conspiracy theories again.
The facts are that Colin Kolles just before Monaco stated that HRT would protest that the system was illegal.
Charlie Whiting responded by telling him that he would look into the legality of the OTBD and consequently Kolles did not protest.
For the Valencia race the FIA introduced a stop gap solution by partially enforcing the regulations by banning hot blowing but allowing cold blowing ie the throttles could remain wide open off throttle but the engine mapping could not be changed between qualifying and the race.
Now at Silverstone the full ban has come into effect which bans cold blowing off throttle.
So the it was HRT that triggered this.Not Ferrari or McLaren.
The FIA are applying this regulation to it full effect.
2011 Technical regulations.
5.5 Engine throttles :
5.5.1 The only means by which the driver may control the engine throttle positions is via a single chassis
mounted foot pedal.
5.5.2 Designs which allow specific points along the pedal travel range to be identified by the driver or assist him
to hold a position are not permitted.
5.5.3 The minimum and maximum throttle pedal travel positions must correspond to the engine throttle minimum
(nominal idle) and maximum open positions.
5.6 Exhaust systems :
Engine exhaust systems may incorporate no more than two exits.
5.7 Variable

But wasn't there some kerfuffle about this before Monaco? I've forgotten the chronology, but I thought the FIA initially proposed a ban, then deferred until discussion with TWG (or some similar acronym), and Kolles spoke of protests after it was decided to postpone the ban.

Even as a McLaren fan wanting to see as Newey put it so well a "wild card thrown into the pack", I do see his/Red Bull's point; if it's not dangerous, why a mid-season ban?

Essentially the ban is a diplomatic solution to a problem that sportsman has noted.

Kolles campaigned against this in Barcelona/Monaco time, and it seems the FIA concluded that Kolles complaint was right and the engine blown diffuser was illegal.

I believe that the Cosworth teams were the only three not to run EBD, so the FIA would have had to disqualify the top 8 of the finishers of the Monaco Grand Prix and announce that the 15th placed finisher actually finished 2nd. Quite clearly, this would not be a sensible idea.

Originally, the changes were to be made before Canada, but the FIA were asked to give the teams time to change their cars, thus it was agreed that hot blowing was to be banned for Valencia, and cold blowing for Silverstone.

In this case, Ferrari have not sought or received any favours from the FIA, and although all the designers have a pretty good idea how much pace they will have lost, they do not have any way of knowing how much pace their competitors have lost.

I actually do think Newey's comments are genuine and it would be perfectly logical to believe this will affect Red Bull and Renault more than any other team, for the simple reason that their cars' entire concept was designed to fit around around the device. You can't remove a device governing a car's entire aero characteristics without the whole of the car in motion being negatively affected, you have to think of the car as a whole, and every alteration made to one part of the car affects every other part too...

Back
Top Bottom