Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

Just to put this discussion to bed a Hat is defined as a "Shaped covering for the head" which, to my mind, should include helmets, caps, bonnets, beenies, berets, skull caps, tupperware bowls and various other accoutrements which you can stick on your noggin'. However, I would exclude tiaras, fascinaters, ribbons and bows, budgies, bees and wasps or spray paint, in fact anything which doesn't "cover the head".

Now, can we get back to the topic?

One with a Pirelli sticker and gold laurel leaves?

Nico-Rosberg_AI_2604500b.jpg

RasputinLives

I see what you are saying but this is a risk that Nico will need to consider then leaving a team who are now front runners to a team in transition unless off course he has certain guarantees which we've seen does not mean anything unless you exert yourself in a team just ask Piquet and Alonso that

Having said that all the attention at Mercedes is on Hamilton whilst Rosberg has delivered the results

I think Mercedes may change their minds about having Vettel seeing they have a German driver capable of delivering now

Ross Brawn seems to be backing Nico's corner but we know he will be leaving at some point and Paddy Lowe appears to be favouring Lewis

a difficult one for Nico and the only solution I see for him is to make sure he beats Hamilton and then I think Mercedes will look silly to drop him

Merc won't drop him but he won't keep beating Lewis in the same team. Unless he truely believes he can and will be allowed too he currebtly has the choice between settling in a top team as a support driver or take a risk at going somewhere to have a go at the title. I know what I'd chose.

Basically Nico has to decide if he wants to end up like Rubens Barrichello or not.

RasputinLives

On what basis do you think Merc will not drop Nico Rosberg then

If Norbert was there previously perhaps then the push to promote young drivers or academy would have opened up for Di Resta
Now Toto is sort of lurking in the background and he is manager of Bottas :thinking:

In terms of other teams I think Nico knows at least he will get a race winning car to challenge and he made it clear after Malaysia he was not happy so he would not lie down like Rubens did you know

I thought Nico was going to end up like Rubens given the fact that Schumacher's return made a lot of noises about pay difference and car number status but he handled it well to concentrate on the track despite being rubbished and referenced to Nick Heidfeld's career

He copped a lot of flak in 2011 suggesting he' won't win a grand prix and reminding everyone that the Mercedes he had was not a great car

Difference between Nico and Rubens is the way they respond to adversity... Rubens will simply just crumble whilst Nico has come out fighting . I should Rosberg is at the moment on cloud nine knowing he can win races now against the best

Considering Ross Brawn et al believe they have the strongest line up on the grid, what possible reason would Mercedes have for dropping him? He's won three races and numerous podiums for them. it would be a faux pas on a scale almost as high as McLaren losing their grip on Hamilton.

Fenderman

Mercedes did not really bother keeping Button when could have been carrying car No1 for them and won 6 races and drivers the title the season before

and Rosberg's out of contract this season and they may not want to meet his wage demands if he asks for a raise

Well Mercedes didn't drop Button, he walked.

As for Nico it's not at all unusual for a driver's contracts to be finalised quite late in a season. I should have asked "What good reason would Merc' have for dropping Nico?" If Nico prices himself out of his seat that will be his own doing.

Fenderman he walked because they offered him an insulting offer and showed no desire to keep him anyway because they cited cost control so he was not getting a raise . Its only when Mclaren came in they counter offered with a raise

Mercedes drop Nico because he is not the best German driver out there nor is he a world champion and no doubt a certain M Schumacher will endorse Vettel if he was available

the other reason is if Mercedes want to develop their own drivers as they have always encouraged so someone like Sam Bird or unless Toto decides he wants Bottas in the other car being his manager

As I've referred to Hamilton that some members of the board would rather see Vettel in a Merc

As for Nico's wages that depends what he demands .. it would be interesting to see if he gets the same pay at Lewis or still be paid less

If cost control comes into it there are other drivers who would be willing to drive for less just to get the seat

----------------------------

the men in the boardroom sometimes make illogical decisions when signing drivers someone might say he is not world champion material to drop him- I've only seen Ross Brawn back Nico's corner

Like Williams dropping Damon Hill and hiring Frentzen because they thought he could beat Schumacher - similar logic to apply against Vettel by hiring Di Resta based on past history

So Merc have German driver who has good technical knowledge has shown great pace and willingness to play the number 2 role and do what the team asks. On top of all that he's one of their lead drivers closest friends and will be more than pleased to see him do well. Do you know how many teams would kill to have Mercs current driver situation. Why on earth would they drop him?

Now Nico might chose to leave but at this stage why would they risk bringing in someone to upset the apple cart. Drive is there if he wants it. Whether he does or not is another question.

RasputinLives

I am sure Nico expects a raise for his performances this season alone whether he will get it is another matter as he does not seem to spoken of highly within Mercedes during Schumacher era

Like I said the men in grey suits are only interested in business - see hiring Schumacher and not keeping reigning world champion then. They do tend to make some peculiar decisions although not as terrible as Toyota did in F1 signing the wrong Schumacher (

Vettel is the one they would like to have given his current status if you were thinking as a business person and the marketing that goes with it potentially.

Also Toto's position and influence on driver line up . Should be interesting to see who decides ultimately between Toto, Ross and Paddy

Back
Top Bottom