Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

Rosberg has won his first Grand Prix a whole 2 races before Button managed it! Their careers look similar to me - signs of promise in a succession of less than promising cars, hidden by a raft of less than promising team-mates. Then they went to Brackley to team-up with, and beat, an ex-Ferrari driver. They won the team's first Grand Prix in its new guise, and then...

I hope for Rosberg's sake that there isn't an "Earth Car" on the horizon and he can skip straight to Brawn!

Button considers Rosberg a threat for the remainder of the season ...I can only see this if Mercedes get the race pace right...Bahrain could be telling

Also a true test of the Mercedes potential is on tracks where aero is more important than power like Barcelona and Hungary

Problem with Button was he had to wait two more seasons before his built on his first win thanks to Honda and Nick Fry's incompetence

Nico I think is ahead of him on that count they;ve got the speed now just need to fine tune the race pace but don't write off Schumacher who will know the car is good enough to win and will be doubly motivated now.....I see him re-signing for another year now

What was the odds on Nico being world champion in the same season he wins his first race just like his dad ?

Whilst I'm enjoying my huge slice of humble pie I shall take a break between mouthfuls to say I'm going to wait until I see how the Mercs perform in Bahrain before I consider them and Nico championship contenders.

I remember a certain Robert Kubica and BMW being declared championship contenders and up with the big boys after their first win. A year and a half later BMW weren't even in F1 anymore and unfortunatly it looks like Robert will never have the chance to add to that one victory.

So lets wait and see before we start having the "do it like Dad" convo's on Nico. I got the impression somewhat that Nico and his Dad don't always see eye to eye on things where his career is concerned.

Well done to Barbie for his first win, but he did get lucky on two occasions, one with Button's pitstop, and also Schumacher's stop. You might say "Why Schumacher's stop? He wasn't fast anyway", when Schumacher pitted, he started pulling away from Button, and on the same lap as Schumacher pitted, Rosberg had that massive off, losing 4s or so, add to that the old man had a relatively poor pit stop bringing him out behind Button, then retiring.

If he was still in the race it could have been a different story, as he would have been on fresher tyres and gained on Nico who was on the old set.

But after that one mistake he didn't put a foot wrong, and his pole lap was sublime, didn't put a foot wrong.

I had to laugh though when he jumped out of the car, it was quite camp :snigger:

But well done nevertheless

I remember a certain Robert Kubica and BMW being declared championship contenders and up with the big boys after their first win. A year and a half later BMW weren't even in F1 anymore and unfortunatly it looks like Robert will never have the chance to add to that one victory.

Kubica was still in the title hunt up until the Chinese Grand Prix of the year he took he took his first win.

Kubica was still in the title hunt up until the Chinese Grand Prix of the year he took he took his first win.

I think you missed my point Sly or are you saying that the predictions about Kubica being a future world champions and BMW being a top title challenging team were correct? :)

Well, I think Kubica well could have been in 2008 if his car was developed, as for BMW, the less said about them, the better, I'm still bitter at them for leaving :(

I wasn't suggesting Kubica couldn't matey. I was saying lets be a bit cautious in tipping old Rosberg for multi-titles as like with what happend with Kubica you never know whats going to happen!

Whilst I'm enjoying my huge slice of humble pie I shall take a break between mouthfuls to say I'm going to wait until I see how the Mercs perform in Bahrain before I consider them and Nico championship contenders.

Well can Nico emulate his dad and be champion in the same season as he won his first race .

I do think though Mercedes are not quite championship contenders yet as it will be interesting to see on tracks where aerodynamics is more important like Barcelona
I expect them to show strongly like last year at MOnza, Spa and Suzuka

Firstly will he regain his 0.5 seconds a lap advantage over Schumi in quali

Has Nico's form suddenly wilted, or has Schumi suddenly improved? I've heard nothing to account for Nico's sudden lack of pace.

siffert_fan
I have to say I noticed this recently that since Mercedes have got worse much like Button Nico's performance has really fallen away...getting two wet qualis completely wrong and only scrapping for minor points

At the same time Schumacher has outraced him... I am not sure if that is down to because Nico has got a contract and Michael is upping his game or down to the car being set up more to Schumacher or a change in engineering team

Its like Nico has become the forgotten man since his 2nd place in Monaco and his other point score was Valencia again minor points

Yes Il_leone, I was really hoping that his win would be the making of him, a little like Mansell. Sadly, he seems to have gone the other way. Here's hoping.

Back
Top Bottom