Nico Rosberg

Nico Erik Rosberg, son of Keijo "Keke" Erik Rosberg, is about to have his 100th Grand Prix meeting this weekend in Hungary.

I was about to write my "best wishes" to him in 'his' thread...but I couldn't find one...so, I figured I might as well start it off.

What is very interesting is that his father, Keke, took part in 114 Grand Prix races in his entire Formula One career, winning 5 of them - all for Williams from 1982 to 1985 - as well as a World Championship.

It's interesting in that Nico is approaching that number quickly and he's already about to finish off his 6th season in a few months...but without a win to his name...and no win in sight given the current pecking order of the cars.

Some say Nico is a great talent...while others say he hasn't fared well against quality teammates in their prime, so it's hard to judge. Mark Webber is, seemingly, his only reasonable benchmark and that was way back in his rookie season in a car that was one of the worst ones ever constructed by Williams.

What are people's thoughts on Nico Rosberg?

Regardless, Godspeed to Nico on the occassion of his 100th Grand Prix this weekend! :)

Has Nico's form suddenly wilted, or has Schumi suddenly improved? I've heard nothing to account for Nico's sudden lack of pace.

After eating humble pie about Nico never winning a GP I can't help but feel a little smug that he seems he's been determined to prove me right that he's just an above average midfielder ever since. Why I've had him in my Fantasy team for such a long period whilst I've been off line I have no idea!

With EJ suggesting that Hamilton is making the move to Merc for 13, is everyone sure that he'll be joining Nico or is 1 race win not enough to retain a Merc seat?

Nico will stay for sure. The drivers haven't been the problem, that car has had terrible reliability and doesn't like the tyres at all.

I'm pretty sure Rosberg has a contract with them and I'm pretty sure if they bring in Lewis he'd stay. If Lewis didn't come I think they might drop him though. He hasn't done himself many favours since that win.

It'll all come down to finance.

If they do sign Hamilton, I think it may depend on how much they have to pay him and what is left over for the second driver. Not suggesting team orders here though.

Having said that, Merc do like their German drivers - Rosberg is OK, but might not survive this round of shuffles.

As I remember last year Nico had signed until 2014 but yet was still linked to the Ferrari seat in 2013..that is why there has been little speculation about his position but he has had some 3 dreadful qualifying performances and struggled in races following the decline of the Mercedes since his victory in China

Would Mercedes simply swap Nico for Lewis..not really because Schumacher's reputation would be at even more risk and Mercedes don't want to see their man thrashed .

Nico I think will stay at Mercedes unless the swap does go ahead and Mercedes also put DI Resta or Hulkenberg in the other car

I'm not saying this as a fanboy, but I feel absolutely certain that if Merc had hired Heidfeld for 2010 he would've brought in more points than either Shumi or Nico. He was coming of a season in which he outpointed Kubica. Rosberg was coming off a season in which he outpointed...Nakajima was it? When the performence is there to be used, Heidfeld would use it and he's one of the most consistent drivers of recent times. Rosberg clearly isn't.

But that's in the past....

Hamilton would be an improvement, and he'd bring more pace to the team than Nico, but why would Hamilton leave Mclaren for Mercedes? Remember that Spa 2012 is only one weekend and after Hungary 2012 there was nothing wrong at all. Also the Merc rumour came from EJ, so it isn't true.

I'm wondering if Nico was consulted about becoming number 2 driver before Lewis signed his contract?

If not, what are the odds that Merc might have to find a second driver for 2013?

I'm not so sure that Rosberg will be easily brushed aside, at least not to start with. He knows the team, has a good reputation on track and supposedly is very knowledgeable on the engineering and set-up side of things. Also, all the pressure will be on Lewis to be quick out the box - a year in an average car would be very disappointing for him but being beaten by Nico would be devastating.

Granted, Rosberg's performances for most of 2012 have been mediocre, but so has the car he's been driving.

I think it will be the lift that Rosberg needs. I bet his performances will improve a fair bit next season. He has a far better measure of his ablities than he's had against Nakajima and Schumacher.

Nico's greatest ally is Keke and, I believe, Keke will always be in the background helping his son to win and surpass his new team mate.

Depends who gets the odd number on the car!

And no, please no. Let's try the Hamilton & Rosberg thread. The Hamberg thread :)

I think Rosberg has shown some frustrations this year but give him a good car and he's pretty damn special. Give him a competitive team mate and I think we'll see him shine. This isn't Hamiltons team and I think we'll see a closer relationship between these two that will allow them to bounce off each other. They both know what they're dealing with, each others strengths and weaknesses and they are compatable. Lewis has already beaten Nico and he coped. This can only spur him on!

Back
Top Bottom