Nicki Lauda - Chump of the Weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

You've lost me there tby - lots of threads on Lewis, one on Lauda - this, I think, is the Lauda one

Yeah that he's a chump because of his comments about Hamilton :s

I think TBY thought you were making a joke originally Jen as the thread is all about Hamilton

You've lost me there tby - lots of threads on Lewis, one on Lauda - this, I think, is the Lauda one

I wondered what I would post in a Lauda thread ;)

I suppose its notable he won the title by half a point, thats even less than [...]

[...] Raikkonen.

The thread is about comments Lauda made about Hamilton and how he's dangerous and is going to kill someone with his reckless driving, so it's entirely relevant :s
Perhaps, if you think about it, you now understand the problem other regulatory bodies have when deciding what goes where!

I have no idea what that's supposed to mean :dunno:

Anyway, I've said my piece so I'll bow out of this thread.

Perhaps, if you think about it, you now understand the problem other regulatory bodies have when deciding what goes where!
I've got to admit Jen I didn't really get your comment about the media but thought I was probably being stupid, but I don't get this either.

What is it you are saying (sorry I've always been rubbish at cryptic clues)?

Yeah that he's a chump because of his comments about Hamilton :s

I think TBY thought you were making a joke originally Jen as the thread is all about Hamilton

Thread title, Niki Lauda - Chump of the week - it is actually about Lauda's comments on Hamilton - subtle difference, I think.

If I make a joke, I usually use a smiley so there is absolutely no confusion

I'm not sure why people are surprised at the poor quality of much of our great nations sporting media. We've been putting up with this cromagnon (no offence meant to prehistoric people's) crap ever since the tabloid format came to dominate our press. It's symptomatic of the whole dumbing down thing. In my view their duty should be to educate the masses as we can all buy nice soft toilet paper in the supermarket, thank you very much.

Thank the stars for CTA where (most of the time) we can get some facts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2011/06/all-action_button_thrills_in_c.html

A poor article imho, seems to be following the crowd, rather than anything useful.

I don't get it at all. I know I'm a Hamilton fan and will freely admit sometimes I try to back him up even when i think it's a little dubious, but I think I can be reasonable.

That article baffles me it really does. Interestingly enough Moss has also made some statements. Ignore the sensationalist title, just listen. I think he is being reasonable and he is someone of an era a long time ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13747578.stm

Also please read this from Button (a man who is outspoken when he wants to be):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755503.stm

"I don't agree with Niki," said Button. "I think Lewis's driving style is aggressive and he always goes for gaps.
"Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's not, but it's the same for all of us."

Jenson was there. He tells as he sees it. Everyone else can just shut up now .. and I mean that in the nicest possible way.:) Okay?

Yeah. One of the forum members on teamspeed was on the plane to LA with Jenson afterwards, and he also said that while on the plane Jenson was also defending Hamilton's driving. It shows it wasn't just for the press.

I've read through some of this thread and I think personally, it's interesting because, usually, in the past, I would be jumping in, sticking up for Hamilton if I thought others were being harsh, but I really haven't got involved lately because I think that quite frankly the criticism he has had over the last 2 weeks has just been ridiculous and completely unjustified. The reason I don't even feel angry or wound up when I hear interviews like that of Niki Lauda, or some of the comments by the BBC commentary team (before they sit back and watch the footage properly) and obviously the comments by some people on forums like this, is because I really think they are completely unfounded. I don't think Lewis did anything wrong in the Canadian grand prix other than have bad luck. He was involved in 2 racing incidents, and if he didn't go for those kind of maneuvers then he would not be the driver that many people love and support. Everything Lewis does always comes under the spot light and it has been like that ever since he joined F1, especially from 2008 onwards. I have got to the point where I can see people criticising him when he is clearly not in the wrong, or hear ex-drivers calling him dangerous and literally just laugh at them because I know within myself that he is a great talent, in-fact more talented than anyone else currently on the grid. He is the most exciting driver and tries and actually completes more overtakes than any other driver on the grid (fact). I sometimes wonder what all these Lewis haters would think if he were not on the grid, because I can tell you, Formula 1 would be a dull place at times without him.

I am very happy with how he reacted after the incidents in Canada. Although he had the right to be very upset and even angry at what had happened, he took time to think about it and reacted correctly, giving Jenson the congratulations he deserved after the race and not throwing accusations at other drivers, more so, even taking personal blame, if any was nessecary.

I think Lewis is in a good place right now, I don't think he was in Monaco, but I think he is now, no matter what all the journalists are saying. I think sometime soon he will have his say and put on one of his sterling performances again. When he does that, they soon forget the past and commend him for the great talent that he is. All I'd say to Lewis is - you know you're the best, you have nothing to prove because millions of people out there, fans, commentators, pundits, analysts, drivers and engineers alike, all believe you are one of the best, if not the best driver on the current grid. All he needs to do is drive. If he does not win as many world championships as he deserves, then I still think he'll be remembered. He certainly will be by me.

Over and out :)

Great quote from Autosport 17 March 1994 (I have a couple of oldies next to the loo). Robin Herd speaking about the Larrousse driver line-up:

"Beretta we obviously don't know. Everything he's done so far is better than we expected. Some take time to acclimatise and some don't. Niki (Lauda) was an absolute tosser when he started, but I seem to remember he didn't do too badly in the end."

His comments were outrageous, and I'm glad some others (DC, JB, Jackie Stewart) have come forward to say the were too strong, but rather focussing on the appropriate debate whether he drives too aggressively.

There is a clear distinction. I don't think anyone, even his detractors, will say that any of his moves in the past 2 races were particularly dangerous (the Massa one did result in him having a specatcular crash, but this seemed unrelated to the impact and largely due to Massa'a stupidity; the Webber incident spun the latter around, but was low speed and minimal danger).
Too aggressive/ opportunistic/ ill-timed (3 attempts in 3 laps) - the discussion still goes on, and even as a Hamilton supporter, I'm not sure.

Lauda's choice of words is ridiculous also.
Exaggerating and likening his driving to the terrifying times (car, not driver) of 30-40 years ago is unfair, and not what you would expect from someone involved in racing at the time.

Lewis should have known Jenson was going to move to the left, it was the normal racing line into the right hand sweeper leading into the chicane. He had done so on the previous laps with Lewis following. Lewis should also have realized that Jenson probably wouldn't have been able to sight him in the spray. A little more foresight on Lewis's part and better racecraft would have saved the situation. It doesn't compare to the Schumacher episode in Hungary. Barrichello was already alongside Schumacher when he tried to squeeze him.

Kewee, Jenson should have realised after he made a mistake that Lewis would be right on his tail and that the orange colour he could see in his wing mirror wasn't his own car and therefore not moved onto a line that somebody else had already occupied. We can go on forever with this. Whitmarsh, Button, Hamilton, Brundle and the stewards all acknowledge it was a legitimate move and no fault lies with Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom