Nicki Lauda - Chump of the Weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The facts I presume?

5 collisions in 5 years, 3 of them against him, 2 by him and he still gets called reckless and dangerous.

Niki Lauda's words uttered during his commentary for RTL and as reported in The Telegraph were:

"What Hamilton did there goes beyond all boundaries. He is completely mad. If the FIA does not punish him, I do not understand the world any more. At some point there has to be an end to all the jokes. You cannot drive like this - as it will result in someone getting killed."

Yes, Niki may well be a chuffing oldie who should hold his tongue (and he has never been a favourite with me) but the average thinking adult should cut him some slack.

He comes from a different era, an era when drivers were killed or maimed. Just look at the man himself, scarred inside and out, from an accident that very nearly killed him in 1976 at Nurburgring - the irony was that he had been campaigning to have the race cancelled on safety grounds.

Can you not understand why he is vociferous when he sees what he 'perceives' to be dangerous driving?

I'm not saying whether he is right or wrong, I'm just trying to understand his mindset

Well Button has defended Hamilton's driving. Check this article:- http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92332

"Lewis is in the headlines a lot, and a lot of it is because he is bloody good,"

"He's a racer, a fighter. For me that is the reason why I wanted to be here, against and with a driver that is super talented, one of the best drivers Formula 1 has ever seen."

"It's good challenging him on the circuit. We have a lot of respect for each other, we've raced each other a lot this year, and last year, and we've never touched. We've always given each other room. For me that's a great position to be in."

"So I don't agree with what Niki has said. I think his driving style is aggressive and he always goes for gaps. Sometimes he's right, sometimes he's not, but it's the same for all of us. He just finds himself in that situation more often than others."

"Initially it played on my mind because you never want to crash with your team-mate. It's the worst thing to do. But we spoke about it, and he was very good actually. He was one of the first people to congratulate me after the race, which was really nice to see."

Fair point, jen. I don't think he's right but I don't think we should underestimate the impact of his injuries and the deaths of his competitors on his worldview.

Fair point, jen. I don't think he's right but I don't think we should underestimate the impact of his injuries and the deaths of his competitors on his worldview.

well sterling moss was alot more sensible the lauda in what he said.he just basically said lewis sometimes goes abit too far.
whereas lauda went OTT.

well sterling moss was alot more sensible the lauda in what he said.he just basically said lewis sometimes goes abit too far.
whereas lauda went OTT.

Absolutely agree that Lauda's comments were OTT. I think had he posted that comment here someone would delete it and send him a note telling him to tone it down. But his history shouldn't be ignored.

Absolutely agree that Lauda's comments were OTT. I think had he posted that comment here someone would delete it and send him a note telling him to tone it down. But his history shouldn't be ignored.
History makes fools or saints of all of us.

As an old fart I have to, pretty much, agree with these other two - Niki Lauda (Niki, btw, not Nicki) and Sir Stirling Moss.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/13747578.stm

I haven't read all the comments on here but I would like to question a few of those (now including Button!!) asserting that Sunday's contact was just "one of those things" and others saying that you can't always blame the guy doing the overtaking.

Hamilton was behind looking forward at a car showing a bright flashing red light specifically to help following cars!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCakp0zK2rM
Button was in front with wing mirrors showing little more than the spray from his own rear tyres!

So, which driver should have been able to make the best judgement as to their best course of action?
...... and don't tell me it all happened in a split second; both of them have reactions I could only dream of 30 years ago. LOL

Button may not have known that ANY driver was trying to overtake him! .... no headlights in his mirrors!
Hamilton MUST have known he was attempting an overtake on a driver who POSSIBLY could not see him!

The instantaneous reaction "What's he doing!!!!!" is the best summation I can come up with.

I am getting really annoyed with this "if it was Hamilton he would have got a penalty"

Sly the reason I truly believe that Hamilton would have been penalised is because of his reputation (which is fairly similar to why Simoncelli got an unusual penalty in MotoGP) therefore it is legitimate to say he would probably have got a penalty.

Each incident should be assessed as separate however everyone is so quick to jump the gun to say it's Lewis fault. You say both were to blame in the Hamilton/Button incident, I along with others including the stewards and Whitmarsh and Jenson believe Button would have been in the wrong had it not been for poor visibility and therefore the decision was right. He also went for a decent gap with Webber having seemingly good grip, but he understeered.

I'm sorry but to say he needs to make allowances for other drivers experience level isn't really on when laying blame, they've all been racing for years and have superlicenses.

Lauda basically was a very undiplomatic version of Brundle/Coulthard yesterday. I didn't think the Massa and Webber moves were particularly sensible given the conditions but I am sick to the back teeth of everyone saying every touch is Lewis' fault. Sometimes yeah it is, but also sometimes it's not. The rest of the time (the usually's) he's pulled off an amazing move that others can only dream of having the ability to do.

Button may not have known that ANY driver was trying to overtake him! .... no headlights in his mirrors!
Hamilton MUST have known he was attempting an overtake on a driver who POSSIBLY could not see him!

The instantaneous reaction "What's he doing!!!!!" is the best summation I can come up with.

And you don't think Hamilton had poor visibility being right up Button's rear end? Button also knew he'd made a mistake and should have expected Hamilton to be right there. Button also said he saw the orange in his mirrors but assumed it was his own. Hamilton had also been catching him very quickly which I very much doubt he didn't know from his race engineer.

So given Schumacher was able to defend so well from Hamilton despite the spray and Button had all these factors at his disposal plus lightening reactions as you've correctly commented on - why on earth would he not assume the orange colours in his wing mirrors (presumably not angled to look straight on at his rear wing) belonged to Lewis?

I know I have thrown my tupenny in, but why is this such an issue?

I feel I should qualify why I've made my last post. I stand by this being a racing incident. I cannot understand why people are so intent despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise that Hamilton is to blame.

I said what I've said to prove that if you look hard enough you can find fault with x. There should be no blame.

I said what I've said to prove that if you look hard enough you can find fault with x. There should be no blame.

I do feel stewarding is currently overzealous. Not as overzealous as it was in 2008, but overzealous all the same.

I cannot understand why people are so intent despite all the evidence suggesting otherwise that Hamilton is to blame.
I've been asking that for several years now when it comes to Hamilton.
All I've heard is half excuses and false reasoning.

As Brundle said, "he's perceived as likely to be guilty before he does anything", and that seems to just stick even when evidence to the contrary comes to light.

I do feel stewarding is currently overzealous. Not as overzealous as it was in 2008, but overzealous all the same.

I almost think Hamilton's outburst after Monaco may have been a bit of a wake up call to be honest. That said I think Di Resta is the new Hamilton for stewards inquiries!

I've been asking that for several years now when it comes to Hamilton. All I've heard is half excuses and false reasoning.

You're right, I guess for some people it's trying to make sense of the situation and I've been guilty of this. If this were school it would be bullying. In fact I met someone whose kids went to school with Lewis and he was referred to as "as a bit of a weirdo kid". You can see clearly from his book that he's been fairly alone in all of his endeavours.

With Schumacher, Alonso, Senna etc some of their more questionable on track moves were premeditated. I've yet to see that from Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom