New engine regs cast in stone.

1.6 litre turbo V6 rev at 18,000 rpm sounds perfect to me. I have gone away from the idea of KERS, not because of it's current limited power boost but because of the negative enviromental comments seen elsewhere. I read somewhere that the KERS batteries are used for one race before they are disgarded, this can't be good for the eco system.
Theres always this.No batteries involved and these are going the new Jaguar hybrid.
http://www.williamshybridpower.com/

Theres always this.No batteries involved and these are going the new Jaguar hybrid.
http://www.williamshybridpower.com/

Ford used a whole range of V4's in the 60's 70's from the Ford Taunus European Cortina and the Ford Transit.
images.jpg

I guess the thinking now is that F1 engines dont have to be related to the manufacturers most popular models and maybe to the sportier and high end ones. In which case the V6 makes sense.

I cant help wondering though that if the plan is for the F1 V6 is to be related to the road V6, surely it is just a matter of time till the F1 car starts to look like the road car.

What are the odds that in a few months we will have new new new engines - 2.4 litre V8s limited to 18000rpm. Why does that sound familiar?

Shame it has to be rev limited at all... rev as much as you like so long as you don't run out of fuel in the race.
Do we know if there will be an 'immediate' engine freeze with the only development work / costs going into KERS?
Are there restrictions on the type of KERS that can be used?
I'd like to see the fly-wheel / Williams system in place as I don't think this relies on batteries; therefore is genuinely 'greener' and closer to the aims of KERS.

In a new twist, it seems that the circuits have banded together to protest, with Aussie GP organiser Ron Walker as their spokesman. He has said that if engine revs are agreed at any less than 18,000 the circuits will abandon F1 and stage Indy races instead, at 1/10th of the cost.

http://www.pitpass.com/44056-Exclus...ill-go-to-IndyCar-if-F1-uses-15000rpm-engines

An interesting development, but I can't see Silverstone for example turning their back on F1 just a year or two into their 17 year agreement, all for the sake of 3,000rpm.

A unified circuits voice is the only thing missing from the perfect storm. And Ron Walker was always the likely spokesman.

If it is 17 circuits, though, who's not involved? Likely to be newer Bernie/Tilke ventures?

It all sounds ridiculous I know. But the idea of the circuits joining forces for more effective clout in payment negotiations etc. might have some mileage in it.

Anyway, back on the topic of engines, I was quite interested by what Adrian Newey had to say. Apparently not many thought that a four cylinder turbo was a good idea, but it was seemingly requested by VW Audi as a condition of them potentially coming back into F1. When they ruled such a move out, there was no more reason to stick to the concept, and the V6 was agreed instead.

Many thanks FB...:thumbsup:

With all the "Pros and Cons" it's obviously not a forgone conclusion that Diesel will be introduced. And for those that are concerned about 'wussy' engine noises, look out if we go Electric! :p

Circuits making demands about engines? that is so ridiculous its not even comical.

If they stopped to think about things for a minute, they would know that revs vs boost are a very difficult area. The previous generation turbos revved several thousand rpm lower (about 11krpm, Honda managed 12.5 with their last generation engine with McLaren) because you hit detonation way faster under boost and there is 2-3 times the amount of fuel and air to combust vs a naturally aspirated equivalent... 14-16 is likely (just speculating, i have no experience, obviously) similar to hitting 20-21 with an NA setup. So these new rules could well be putting the engineers back to the forefront of power vs durability. Great i say. :thumbsup:

Run Indycar instead! I am beside myself with amusement at that suggestion. What does Ron Walker think it is - 1994?

You and me both Galahad.Thats about the most ridiculous statement Walker has ever made.ROFL

If F1 was all about the noise we'd all be going to Santa Pod instead to watch the drag racing.

Sure, the noise is an important part of F1 but it's only a part of the package; there's also the skill of the drivers, the engineers and the strategists; the sheer speed of the cars; the crashes and most importantly the glamour... and it is glamour that sells tickets in these corporate times. After all the ticket price alone makes it a significant (and unaffordable) luxury for the majority of fans.

Also, how do they measure the quality of the noise?
I can't believe it is in any contract...
Is that farting sound under braking an integral improvement on what we've had in the past?

There are many more things that will impact on attendance figures for the circuits to worry about...

Sorry, but this is all bovine excrement and nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom