Michael Schumacher

The Vettel thread surprised me as such that when I searched for a Schumacher thread, I could not find one. So I propose this thread for Schumacher because regardless of your opinion whether his return is succesful or not, I think we can all agree that there's always something to talk about whether he's had a good or bad race.
Historical Discussion may be allowed on the thread as long as it's on topic.
Enjoy! :)

I know why Perez is in his 8th season in F1. Carlos Slim.

I do watch F3 and Schumacher is doing well against a field as inexperienced as he is. Thats not his fault really but the fault of the view that if you have more than 2 years in a catogry then your not good enough so it's now full of teenagers. Staying in a catogry and developing into a good driver is not allowed anymore. Also winning a catogry means nothing anymore either. You have to be exciting and popular.

As for race craft. There are dozens of drivers who showed great race craft and won things but never got anywhere near F1. Wickens, Bird, Rowland, Rosenqvist. Ask yourself why Schumacher is being talked about for a drive and they aren't.

Charles Leclerc by the way has won nearly every catogry he has been in against more experienced competitiors.

Bird was considered to be too old. Rosenqvist and Rowland lack the funding and connections to get into F1 and are now 26, so same as with Bird, considered too old.
For some reason drivers have to have their foot in the door by the age of 15- 18 nowdays or else they're not going to make it. In the case of all the above that didn't happen.

Depends. If your name is Schumacher you have the money but you don't need to give it to anyone as teams know running that name means the sponsors bring money anyway. Plus you know the right people in the industry to talk too. Guess I'm kind of suggesting that if his name was Mick Smith we wouldn't be talking about him being in F1 just yet.

Same with Verstappen really. His talent probably would have got him into F1 on its own (I say probably because talent is no longer a guarantee) but there is no question that the instant leap was down to name and connections.

Guess I'm kind of suggesting that if his name was Mick Smith we wouldn't be talking about him being in F1 just yet.
He's second in the championship standings and is still within a shot of winning it. Since when have people not spoken about drivers in a similar situation. George Russell and Maximillian Gunther were both regarded as potential F1 drivers in 2016 yet neither of them had won the F3 championship. The same applies to previous runner-ups, journalists and fans have always linked them to F1.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/michael-schumacher-documentary-film-family-075447438.html
ummm now :thinking:

what is this documentary going to be like is it going to be warts & all documentary about his home life including racing career or are we going to have polished documentary that bypasses Adelaide 94 jerez 97 & Monaco 06?

because it says The film will "explore the many facets of this complex man – the merciless Formula One driver, the ambitious boy with the dream, the down-to-earth mechanic, the dependable team player & the devoted friend and father, It will include interviews with his father, wife and children and previously unseen archival footage.”. but also “We are thrilled to have the trusting co-operation of Michael Schumacher's family and management. Without their support this film would not have been possible."

I was also wondering what kind of documentary it will be. I get that we should all feel sorry for the problems Michael has now but to gloss over the ruthless side of his racing career because of that would be totally wrong. Out of the car I like the guy, he seems genuinely nice, but some of his moves on track were well beyond questionable. It will be interesting to see what they will do with it and I do want to see it.

I saw this under the headline that it was just what we needed to hear.

I needed to hear that Michael Schumacher is making progress not about a money making venture.

chttps://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsport/formula-one/michael-schumacher-in-hospital-for-secret-treatment/news-story/ebd475ded5b236fe9deddc470f37df3d

has anyone watched the schumacher documentary on netflix just seen the preview they show on netflix, im worried because obviously their has been a emotion because of it. but i just hope its not a rose tinted view. as the preview was of ross brawn talking about the spa 1998 crash.
saying "he must have lifted off the throttle" amongst other things. blaming DC for this is ridiculous. schumacher the entire circuit to himself as he couldnt have gone more Left

Schumacher-Coulthard-Spa-1998_1a99097c0af81f6a6ca6472d239f3ccb.jpg

Watched it the other night. It gives you some insights in to the man away from the track but not to any great extent.

I thought it was very good. It didn't really do anything to change the narrative on his incidents during the 90's and quite honestly it didn't really dwell too much on the 2001-2006 Ferrari years. It did do a great job of giving some insight into Schumacher, the man, off the track. If you were a fan or not its hard not to feel for the current situation and the effect its had on his family. I'd recommend it just to be taken back to the V10 era.

On another note, I do believe there is a documentary in the works on Damon Hill. I'm all for giving this era of F1 some more attention and welcome these type of documentaries to get insight into what the people we like off the track and away from the spotlight.

F1Brits_90 - much of the focus was about the human element - but with racing thrown in.

Key takeaways
1. Schumacher suffered major mental health issues after Senna’s death.

2. Schumacher was almost dropped by Ferrari in 98/99ish to try to recruit Hakkinen
3. Schumacher loved to sing but had a terrible voice
4. Schumacher genuinely believed he never did anything wrong. In ‘97, he arrived back at the garage convinced that Villeneuve had driven into him, and it was only when he saw the tv that he started to doubt it

As an obvservation though, I don’t think people give Schumacher enough credit for 1994. Had the FIA not tried to artificially spice up the show - stemming from an offence that no-one has been punished before or since for (and the Spa debacle), the Schumacher would have likely won 13 races that season, such was his dominance.

The races that season he didn’t win:

Spain - technical issue
GB - he wouId have won had he not taken the stop go penalty (and later disqualified)
Germany - engine failure - wouldn’t have won this race
Spa - He won this race (DSQ)
Italy - I doubt that he would have won here
Estoril - Based on his performance at Jerez, there’s little doubt that he would have won in Portugal
Japan - beaten because of poor Benetton strategy
Adelaide - there’s a lot of what ifs here. Schumacher fell off the road because of pressure, and may not have done had he won the championship in Spa, as he probably should have done!

The Artist..... i agree on schumacher in 94 & that i always found weird that hill is often applauded for the 1994 championship battle as if it was even but schumacher got 92 pts from 13 races & hill got 91pts from 16 races. but then how much was the traction control helping him in win races is a gap ,what would the williams have done if benetton was legal & senna survived we will never know. i think schumacher will have won anyway probally

but 94, (like 97 & 06) for me has always been adelaide, how he deliberately cheated, knew he was out so he damaged damon hill car as well

on 4 - i know that 1 from beyond the grid, i remember ross brawn saying about the shock/bemusement on the faces as they couldnt believe someone could be so wrong LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom