Current McLaren

Arguably one of the big teams in Formula One but lately they don't seem to be able to get the basics right.
Some of their strategy and decisions in the last few years has left more than a few observers scratching their heads.

Just a few for starters:
  • Leaving Kimi out on a badly flat-spotted tyre, resulting in it exploding on the last lap.
  • Leaving Hamilton out on tyres so badly worn they were down to the canvas; Bridgestone themselves demanded that McLaren bring him in and McLaren refused, keeping him out for a few more laps. That decision arguably cost Hamilton the first rookie WDC and is one which will haunt him and McLaren for the rest of their days.
  • Not sending Button and Hamilton out to get banker laps in during Q1.
  • Sending Hamilton out on used tyres in Q3, with rain forecast, meaning it would be impossible to set a fast lap time on his second attempt on new tyres.
Their major updates seem to send them further down the grid, instead of challenging for pole positions and wins. As the season progresses they tend to get worse before getting better, by which time it is generally too late.

It's often said of them "write them off at your peril", but is this necessarily true?

The last time they won the WCC was in 1998 and their last WDC was 2008, before that 1999.
Their days of regularly winning championships seem to be well and truly behind them.

It's all well and good coming up with reasons why they haven't won championships.
The fact remains though, they have won just one WDC in the last 12 years.

So where to now for McLaren?

(I wrote this in rather a hurry so I will flesh it out when I have more time.)

Looks like Hamilton is carrying an issue again. A lot of brake dust coming from the front and wild under steer into the last corner. The car doesn't look great and a lot of concerned faces on McLaren's pit wall.

Regarding those updates by Gary Anderson on the Beeb's website. Yes he's a very experienced engineer but they often don't tell the full story and can be very misleading. He criticised McLaren in Canada for failing to change Button's gearbox in 30minutes or so until it was pointed out to him that tight packaging in modern F1 means it takes a lot longer than the last time he was in F1. Looking at the updates during FP3- they posted at 0723 - "Hamilton is now on the softs but backs out of a flying lap after making a mistake". There was no mistake, the car just wouldn't turn in and I've just posted above that there was a lot of brake dust coming out of the front, something which BBC have failed to mention. There was also a lot of traffic towards the latter part of the session which affected lap times. You need to watch the session to get a clear picture of what's going on.

A problem for Mclaren. They are staying in the new Hilton hotel.......because Hilton sponsor them. But it's near water where mosquitoes are breading. Some of these mosquitoes Carry dengue fever, which puts you out of action for 18mths. Staff are frantically swatting mosquitoes in the lobby and the Authorities,somewhat belatedly are misting with insecticide. Buttons manager , despite covering arms and legs, has been bitten on his ear.

Is that valid when your trying to test upgrades or setting up a car? Gary Anderson is saying consistent lap times are far more useful for data gathering and most would agree.

I wonder why more teams don't use a Friday morning Badoer to test their upgrades then?

Gary Anderson column: Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel favourite for title
_60185899_1329947-high_res-formula-1-2012.jpg
By Gary Anderson BBC F1 technical analyst
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/1994181

"Since leaving Jordan in 2003, Anderson has worked for several television broadcasters including Setanta Sports and ESPN Star Sports as a technical analyst and commentator[6]. On 12 January 2012, the BBC announced that Anderson has been recruited as technical analyst for their coverage of the FIA Formula 1 Championship.[7]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Anderson_(motorsport)

Bill Boddy.....They clearly don't have an exclusive deal with him Bill. As I said he's been providing Sky with pit lane technical analysis for as long as I can remember. Sky is my only live link to F1 over here in NZ.

Interesting indeed. It sounds as though having a staid image is more important to him than winning championships. :( well i wouldn't think that was a good stance to take in this competitive field.

Gary Paffet is whaffling for Whitmarsh.....
They are really making themselves look a right load of :censored: heads.
Lewis has been without his race engineer ...Andy Latham, for several races. He is due to be back for the next race...
What the :censored:happened to Lewis' car today?
Well now whitmarsh is whiffling away on sky...scuse me ...

Not heard Mr. Whitmarsh yet, not on BBC. I wait with bated breath :snigger:

Oh he's on now. Eddie putting him on the spot about reliability. I think Whitmarsh is blaming Mercedes for this one.

Back
Top Bottom