McLaren to do rain dance?

Mezzer

A fine chap if ever there was one.
Contributor
Prior to qualification Whitmarsh stated that McLaren were planning for a wet race tomorrow, with a 60% likelihood of rain, and with Lewis 5/10s and Jensen 8/10s off Seb can we hope that the difference in speed is only down to a wet-oriented setup? :unsure:

It's a stupid strategy.

They've compromised qualifying in the hope that it's going to rain tomorrow.
If it doesn't then they'll be at a disadvantage again during the whole race.

If they'd gone for a normal set up and it does rain, then all teams would be equally affected.

Having said that, the difference is not just due to a wet setup.
Red Bull are just the complete package at the moment and no matter what McLaren do, they're not going to beat them this season.

It's not a 100% dry set-up just one that can go either way. It's still only a few 10ths difference, its not the massive second gap we've seen in previous races.

It's a stupid strategy.

They've compromised qualifying in the hope that it's going to rain tomorrow.
If it doesn't then they'll be at a disadvantage again during the whole race.

If they'd gone for a normal set up and it does rain, then all teams would be equally affected.

Having said that, the difference is not just due to a wet setup.
Red Bull are just the complete package at the moment and no matter what McLaren do, they're not going to beat them this season.

It does seem to be a bit of an act of desperation. Certainly Lewis' win came off the back of good strategy, maybe Whitmarsh feels the only way to beat RB is to take chances. Can't say that I totally disagree with him if that's really his take, I agree that the RB seems to be in a class of its own. When does the exhaust ban come in?

but that extra few tenths would have got lewis up into 4th,maybe even third.
and with mclarens usual race pace,that would have given lewis a massive chance of a podium finish.maybe even a win after a strong start,off the line.

Under Whitmarsh and Button Mclaren are going nowhere, they have now adopted Button's penchant for gambling and have got absolutely no confidence in their own car, Whitmarsh will go down in history as the worst team principal Mclaren ever had!

What was slightly reassuring though was seeing Ron Dennis there, hopefully he'll put an end to the pitstops shenanigans!

I'm pretty sure we were all talking about how qualifying doesn't really matter anymore due to the overtaking possibilities presented by the tyres and DRS. McLarens race pace has been better most of the year so it's quite possible that they have done the right thing.

I don't think we should go into the pro's and con's of this strategy until it all plays out at 6pm tommorow.

Martin Whitmarsh is making too many mistakes (that is if they are mistakes). Mind you even before this race I think he is making too many mistakes, the errors from mclaren in the past 18 months have been astounding under his watch! Ron Dennis must do something about this guy before its too late!

Conflicting statements from Button and Whitmarsh but if they have significantly changed their setup in anticipation of rain tomorrow I think it's very risky and a bit silly really. I think Whitmarsh said there was more than a 50% chance of a wet race. So lets call it 50% and say that means 50% of the race will be wet. That would mean they'll be sitting ducks on the straights for half the race tomorrow and they've lost out a few places today already.

Really I think you'd want something like an 80% chance before sacrificing qualifying.

I know a lot of us would like one or other (or both) of the McLarens to do well, but we are getting a bit quick to put the boot in. Let's judge this at 8pm tomorrow when we know if it did rain and if the tyres were better off for the extra downforce.

It is perhaps a strange decision on the face of it, but would they have beaten Ferrari (let alone Red Bull) with a full dry setup? How much did it really cost them? Maybe JB one place, but to beat Massa and Alonso, Lewis would have needed 0.35s. What do they stand to gain... lets find out tomorrow!

I think the real story is the pace of the red cars... I will comment on that on the race thread.

Funny how Button is recently always contradicting the team or pointing fingers on strategy

I think MW is losing the focus of his alternative approach, his champion is not a believer anymore

Back
Top Bottom