McLaren to do rain dance?

What role do you think that the strategists based at Woking, are playing in Whitmarsh's decision making?

MW sets the optionality, asks for aggressive or conservative strategies and then approves the choice made

He might not program the Cray himself but he is the leader of the gang

Conflicting statements from Button and Whitmarsh but if they have significantly changed their setup in anticipation of rain tomorrow I think it's very risky and a bit silly really. I think Whitmarsh said there was more than a 50% chance of a wet race. So lets call it 50% and say that means 50% of the race will be wet. That would mean they'll be sitting ducks on the straights for half the race tomorrow and they've lost out a few places today already.

Really I think you'd want something like an 80% chance before sacrificing qualifying.

I don't think weather forecasting works quite like that. A 50% chance of rain doesn't mean it will rain for 50% of the time. It means that given these meteorological conditions, in 50% of cases there will be some measurable rainfall. So you might say that there's a 50% chance of there being some rain at some point over the course of the day.

Likewise a 100% chance doesn't mean it's going to rain all day, just that it will rain at some point during the day.

http://weather.about.com/od/c/g/chance_of_rain.htm

Which I guess make any wet-weather gambling all the more questionable :whistle:

Well with the weather report being has reliable has the poorest Lada ever bulit i think its fair to say there IS a 50% of rain.....
It either will or won't there for 50/50

If it remains dry will McLaren at least be able to break a bit later, corner a bit quicker and look after the tyres a bit longer with the extra downforce? - straw clutching here

So Button, not on a wet set-up, has been out-qualified ,again, by hamilton who is on a wet set-up? If you've heard of a conspiracy that Hammy's disadvantaged this may be exhibit A as now MW saying that its only 50% when before he said more than 50? Or does the weather monitors differ per driver? But anyway I'm hoping for rain and I have been all weekend!

Just because Button says he's not on a wet setup doesn't mean he isn't, for all we know Hamilton might not be on a wet setup either, might just be smoke and mirrors by Mclaren.

AMR, this being teh Intarwebs, I can't tell if you're being ironic... Please tell me you are!?!

im very tired so perhaps im missing the point here, but how many times in the past have we herd its going so and so into the race, its going to be a delugde and nothing happens, and even Malaysia 10, when the top teams waited 'cause there weather forcast said the rain was going to stop and it never.

Its either going to rain or not. judging any other percentages is just playing a blind mans hand. And yes there is a refence to MW comments about it 50% chance of rain.

I think "a 50% chance of rain" refers to the chances of there being rain at some point during the day, not necessarily at the time the GP is happening...

Whitmarsh said there's a 60% chance of a wet race tomorrow. What I did was a bit stupid in hindsight - we need to know what his definition of a "wet race" is tomorrow. If there's a 60% chance of every single lap or at least most of the race being wet then I would understand why they would move towards a wet setup but if there's a 60% chance of some rain at some point I think the decision is very questionable.

All the forecasts are still saying 50% chance or more of rain between 1 and 2pm local time. Radar shows it is raining there now, but likely to be dry for the next few hours. Search for Montreal rain radar, there are a few sites, not as good as raintoday.co.uk which i use here all the time (being a cricketer, you get to know this will it, won't it game...)

It would not be clever to set both cars for the rain, but one car for rain and one for dry could be. I think Silverstone 2008 might be partly down to that. Kovalainen had stunning lap in dry qualifying, almost a second faster than anyone else, Lewis then dominated wet race.

Back
Top Bottom