Current Max Verstappen

2015 sees the arrival of the youngest driver ever to sit in an F1 car. Max Verstappen was born on 30th September 1997 and, assuming he makes the grid in Australia, will only be 17 years and 167 days, beating Jaime Alguersuaris' record by 1 year and 323 days (assuming my maths is correct).

How can such a young man be ready for F1? As the son of former F1 driver Jos Verstappen Max started racing karts at 4½ years old. In 2006 he won the Belgian Minimax Championship in the KF5 category and in 2007 he won both the Dutch and Belgian titles as well as the Belgian Cadet Championship.

In 2009 he won the KF5 Flemish Championship and moved up to International Karting. In 2010 Max finished 2nd in the KF3 World Cup, won the Euro Series and the WSK World Series. In 2011 he again won the WSK World Series and moved up the KF2 class winning the WSK Master Series and the South Garda Winter Cup in 2012. In 2013, at 15 years of age, Verstappen won the World KZ Championship, which is highest level of karting.

For 2014 Max moved up to European Formula 3. He finished 3rd in the Championship winning 10 of the 33 races, more than those who finished above him in the title race. Max was recruited into the Red Bull Young Driver Programme in August 2014 and only 6 days later was announced as one of the drivers for Toro Rosso in F1 for 2015. Apparently he was also being courted by Mercedes for their young driver programme so you have to wonder how much the pull of an F1 seat at Toro Rosso drove the decision to go with Red Bull.

Having already taken part in 3 Friday sessions as a test driver Max Verstappen is the youngest person ever to take part in a Grand Prix weekend. If he acquits himself well during 2015 many will say it is an inspired decision. If he turns into a mobile chicane or treats F1 like a destruction derby I'm sure many questions will be asked as to why someone not even old enough to qualify for a driving licence in his home country is allowed to get behind the wheel of a car at the pinnacle of motorsport.

Future Champion? One season (or even one race) wonder? 2015 will be very interesting for Max Verstappen.

It is what he's paid to do though. However, I do wonder how he can look himself in the mirror sometimes though with the level of BS he comes out with.

It is indeed, I'm not convinced that him turning up the "our driver is the most besterest ever" to 11 is the best approach at this point, but we'll see after the weekend.

He's treated differently because he drives dirty and Red Bull played dirty
I don’t buy that he’s dirty. As Brogan has said elsewhere the issue is Horner and Marko blowing smoke up his arse and telling him his driving style is okay. They should have been furious with the amount of penalties he racked up last weekend, but no.

My issue with Max is he considers what he’s doing hard racing and perfectly okay. It’s not. Not/late braking and knowing that means you’re not going to make the corner is not hard racing it’s bad driving. Why is nobody picking him up on this? The late brakers such as Ricciardo and Hamilton will do so with the intention of staying on track and often can in what are some stunning moves.

And as for Horner saying Max and his style has brought loads of new fans, that’s utter crap. That’s down to Netflix and the new audience liking drama over skill. So **** off Christian you vomit inducing cretin.

I'd forgotten just how partisan F1 fans can be. This is like being back on 6-0-6 :D
Perhaps, but that's only because Verstappen's an insufferable ****. :D

Even more so than Hamilton.

If he does win, he will be worse next year, as he will feel even more justified in the things he has done this season.

If you look at Verstappen's move at the the re-start where he went down the left side and overtook Hamilton, that has hard but fair. Hamilton had to move over to the right and try and use Ocon to block as much of the track as possible. He perhaps moved over a bit too much and left a gap on the left. Verstappen took full advantage.

The trouble with Verstappen is that I think it was hard but fair more by accident than design. If he was presented with a similar starting point 9 times out of 10 he'd either have collided with the cars to his right or forced everyone off track (as he did when he tried to prevent Hamilton overtaking at the same corner).

Move over or crash is not a fair way to race.

, he will be worse next year, as he will feel even more justified in the things he has done this season.
I guess that depends on how Red Bull develop their car and who, if anyone can challenge them.

If they find themselves as the unchallenged, dominant team in the manner of Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull in years past, then he won't need to drive like a cock because no one will be close enough to bother him at most races.

I'd add to that - putting your car in a position where the other driver has to cede the corner or have a crash is fine, as long as you yourself can make it around the corner within the white lines that denote the edges of the track - it's hard racing, it might not be "fair" but it is what it is. Spearing both yourself and them off into the next county is not.

Max and Christian is what Michael Schumacher would have been like if he had signed for McLaren under Ron.

Frankly I think the underdog card may be the long game plan and after recent press Max may take himself out leaving Lewis to cruise home - just to prove he wasn’t beaten….

My issue with Max is he considers what he’s doing hard racing and perfectly okay. It’s not. Not/late braking and knowing that means you’re not going to make the corner is not hard racing it’s bad driving. Why is nobody picking him up on this? The late brakers such as Ricciardo and Hamilton will do so with the intention of staying on track and often can in what are some stunning moves.
can we have you on stewards panel or replace michael masi. as that is the best explanion of what hard racing & what is cheating.

Move over or crash is not a fair way to race.

this is why i believe that verstappen was at fault for what happened at silverstone because of the culture verstappen had created. the particular incident happened at Silverstone was 50/50. it was as ive said before 2 drivers who refused to give an inch & it was unstoppable force v immovable object

but the culture verstappen had created. like you said move or crash, bred that crash. because of what he did in Imola Spain, Austria 2019 to Leclerc & France?? hugely out braking yourself. using your rivals as means to slow down & make the corner.

Hamilton at that point had tried to avoid contact. but he either realised or was told. at some point you have to fight back. because if you back out not only will you lose the championship but he attack the "weakness" & will only do it more. the only way to stop it is to fight fire with fire

Last edited:
1639671132582.png

Back
Top Bottom