Current Max Verstappen

2015 sees the arrival of the youngest driver ever to sit in an F1 car. Max Verstappen was born on 30th September 1997 and, assuming he makes the grid in Australia, will only be 17 years and 167 days, beating Jaime Alguersuaris' record by 1 year and 323 days (assuming my maths is correct).

How can such a young man be ready for F1? As the son of former F1 driver Jos Verstappen Max started racing karts at 4½ years old. In 2006 he won the Belgian Minimax Championship in the KF5 category and in 2007 he won both the Dutch and Belgian titles as well as the Belgian Cadet Championship.

In 2009 he won the KF5 Flemish Championship and moved up to International Karting. In 2010 Max finished 2nd in the KF3 World Cup, won the Euro Series and the WSK World Series. In 2011 he again won the WSK World Series and moved up the KF2 class winning the WSK Master Series and the South Garda Winter Cup in 2012. In 2013, at 15 years of age, Verstappen won the World KZ Championship, which is highest level of karting.

For 2014 Max moved up to European Formula 3. He finished 3rd in the Championship winning 10 of the 33 races, more than those who finished above him in the title race. Max was recruited into the Red Bull Young Driver Programme in August 2014 and only 6 days later was announced as one of the drivers for Toro Rosso in F1 for 2015. Apparently he was also being courted by Mercedes for their young driver programme so you have to wonder how much the pull of an F1 seat at Toro Rosso drove the decision to go with Red Bull.

Having already taken part in 3 Friday sessions as a test driver Max Verstappen is the youngest person ever to take part in a Grand Prix weekend. If he acquits himself well during 2015 many will say it is an inspired decision. If he turns into a mobile chicane or treats F1 like a destruction derby I'm sure many questions will be asked as to why someone not even old enough to qualify for a driving licence in his home country is allowed to get behind the wheel of a car at the pinnacle of motorsport.

Future Champion? One season (or even one race) wonder? 2015 will be very interesting for Max Verstappen.

If I was Verstappen I would be furious with Masi.

There was a very good chance that Verstappen would have won without the manipulation but we'll never know.

Instead, his reputation and "win" is tarnished forever.

If I was Verstappen I would be furious with Masi.

There was a very good chance that Verstappen would have won without the manipulation but we'll never know.

Instead, his reputation and "win" is tarnished forever.
Off course it will but he won't show it

Max is alleged to have signed a new "Super" Contract with RBR - 4-5 years long and allegedly €50 Million a season.

A) I hope it has a painful get out clause.

B) I hope RBR produce a lemon LOL :whistle: 🍋

i wonder if its on similar contract, to previous 1. where they had performance based contract, & that if red bull finished below 3rd in constructors or hadnt won a race that year. he was allowed to leave. as im sure i remember Martin Brundle discussing this at a Austrian GP,

If that is true then Red Bull have probably got a works engine deal somewhere agreed then otherwise he would not commit to it

and also its a death knell to whoever is No 2 unless they can force Verstappen out like Hamilton did to Alonso

I hope he gets put in his place because Hamilton gets accused having a No 2 that can't challenge then the same argument should be thrown at Verstappen until he beats a quality teammate

Red Bull drivers tend to peak early in their career and tend to fall away like Vettel has somewhat and Ricciardo.

At the moment Verstappen is lucky that the next Red Bull junior needs about 3 years to get it right - there are 5 in F2 this season so be interesting to see which one Marko sees as a potential successor to Verstappen and how Verstappen will deal with it

Marko treats his drivers like Sith Apprentices - he quickly moves onto the next one when he sees their potential

Last edited:
I should add Verstappen's deal screws Gasly's future further within Red Bull if he wants to achieve more with his own career

i agree on pure talent. he is the equal best driver on the grid with Hamilton
I still honestly don’t understand this pure talent thing. He can’t brake into corners and his ultimate near perfect lap actually resulted in him binning it. His overtakes or defences are also at least 50% sloppy.
There is nothing to suggest to me that he’s the best driver when we have the likes of Norris and Sainz on the grid. I’d also put Le Clerc as good if not better than Verstappen. What is it about him that I’m missing?

i cant go into specifics, because i dont have telemetry. but i think he's fantastic, i just go off his performances. i think extremely talented constantly putting cars where they didnt belong. i always point to 2020 as Mercedes was on a par with most dominant in that era, Verstappen was unlucky to not take 2nd in championship as bad luck was against him. & between 2017 - 2020 when red bull were the 3rd best car for most it. he won 10 races to Bottas 9. or 2015 finishing 4th twice in a toro rosso, winning on his debut under quite a bit of pressure

that saudi lap was for 23 of 24 corners as close to perfection as your going to get that few seconds away from being up there with senna monaco 1988 & Hamilton singapore 2017. yes he crashed but its on a street track if your not going to push it to the absoulte limit on your final qualifying lap i dont know when you will, he's not the 1st great driver to be caught out by a wall its how the wall of champions got it name, then senna, Hamilton, not a world champion Leclerc in monaco last season

but in a way he is at fault for a lot of the struggles that red bull have faced. because verstappen has been setting impossible expectations. he there driving at 125% & making what without verstappen would be decent performances but because hes stuck on the front row & beat 1 of mercedes. 4th place 50 seconds looks like a disaster

He's Dutch?
He has a Dad called Jos who failed to live to his true potential and so is living it through his son. His Dad saw first hand how Schumacher was like at Benetton so enforces the same principles to Max - win at all costs mentality if you have to and that includes screwing your teammates

He may Dutch but some consider him Belgian

Back
Top Bottom