Current Max Verstappen

2015 sees the arrival of the youngest driver ever to sit in an F1 car. Max Verstappen was born on 30th September 1997 and, assuming he makes the grid in Australia, will only be 17 years and 167 days, beating Jaime Alguersuaris' record by 1 year and 323 days (assuming my maths is correct).

How can such a young man be ready for F1? As the son of former F1 driver Jos Verstappen Max started racing karts at 4½ years old. In 2006 he won the Belgian Minimax Championship in the KF5 category and in 2007 he won both the Dutch and Belgian titles as well as the Belgian Cadet Championship.

In 2009 he won the KF5 Flemish Championship and moved up to International Karting. In 2010 Max finished 2nd in the KF3 World Cup, won the Euro Series and the WSK World Series. In 2011 he again won the WSK World Series and moved up the KF2 class winning the WSK Master Series and the South Garda Winter Cup in 2012. In 2013, at 15 years of age, Verstappen won the World KZ Championship, which is highest level of karting.

For 2014 Max moved up to European Formula 3. He finished 3rd in the Championship winning 10 of the 33 races, more than those who finished above him in the title race. Max was recruited into the Red Bull Young Driver Programme in August 2014 and only 6 days later was announced as one of the drivers for Toro Rosso in F1 for 2015. Apparently he was also being courted by Mercedes for their young driver programme so you have to wonder how much the pull of an F1 seat at Toro Rosso drove the decision to go with Red Bull.

Having already taken part in 3 Friday sessions as a test driver Max Verstappen is the youngest person ever to take part in a Grand Prix weekend. If he acquits himself well during 2015 many will say it is an inspired decision. If he turns into a mobile chicane or treats F1 like a destruction derby I'm sure many questions will be asked as to why someone not even old enough to qualify for a driving licence in his home country is allowed to get behind the wheel of a car at the pinnacle of motorsport.

Future Champion? One season (or even one race) wonder? 2015 will be very interesting for Max Verstappen.

How dare he allow himself to be considered Belgian? Appalling behaviour, he should be sacked immediately. And for having a dad called Jos. Utterly unforgivable. Disgusting.

F1Brits_90, if he crashed then he failed in the lap, it doesn't matter whether the previous corners were on the max or not, like drivers are gauged by their last race so Max is judged by the last corner, yes he is renowned for putting a car where it shouldn't be, in the side of the opposition or even on top as well as the odd wall here and there.

F1Brits_90, if he crashed then he failed in the lap, it doesn't matter whether the previous corners were on the max or not, like drivers are gauged by their last race so Max is judged by the last corner, yes he is renowned for putting a car where it shouldn't be, in the side of the opposition or even on top as well as the odd wall here and there.
Exactly the same could be levelled at Hamilton, Senna, Schumacher, Prost and more.

Focusing on Hamilton:

Crashing out on the last lap:

Crashing out on his first flying lap in Interlagos:

Simply throwing his car up the inside, and expecting other cars to move:

He has a Dad called Jos who failed to live to his true potential and so is living it through his son. His Dad saw first hand how Schumacher was like at Benetton so enforces the same principles to Max - win at all costs mentality if you have to and that includes screwing your teammates

He may Dutch but some consider him Belgian
Obviously wrong thread, but I think Jos definitely delivered on his potential!

Yes fine, but one dodgy WDC make him the messiah
he did things wrong over the season but both at times were as bad as each other in Silverstone & Monza. but Verstappen didn't do anything wrong in abu dhabi. its not his fault its tainted

also the original point was about "pure" talent, thats everything stripped away & we focusing purely on laptime. you can be critical of him crossing the line of what acceptable & sometimes his conduct. but i dont see how you can question his talent for me like Hamilton its indisputable. you ask pundits from around the world if you could pick dream line up from 2022 grid vast majority would pick verstappen as 1 of them. along with Hamilton

Last edited:
he did things wrong over the season but both at times were as bad as each other in Silverstone & Monza

but Verstappen didn't do anything wrong in abu dhabi. its not his fault its tainted
But does this make him equal best driver? For the avoidance of doubt I don’t care if that equal best is against Hamilton or not but I can’t see for the life of me why he’s considered worthy of a 2028 contract and declaration of best driver now or ever. What utter PR tosh.
A driver that cannot late brake and make the corner in a battle is never in my book going to be great/the best. And this is a driver that openly admits he doesn’t bother.

Last edited:
Hamberg equal best certainly as i couldnt spilt them 2. if i was ranking drivers i would say
1 - Hamilton, Verstappen
2 - Leclerc, Sainz, Norris, Russell
3 - Gasly, Perez, Riccardo, Alonso, Vettel

which makes it a completely different story, because i interpreted things as questioning his talent & best driver on the grid are 2 different things. i dont think he will be best ever because i dont see how anyone hits the heights of Schumacher or Hamilton historical achievements

2028 is simple. he needs Red Bull & Red Bull needs him. you look at the potential front running teams. & its full. Mercedes have George Russell, Ferrari have Leclerc & Sainz, McLaren Norris. all great drivers. he clearly doesnt want to do a Jenson button in 2010. go into the lions den & be equal number 1

Last edited:
Simply throwing his car up the inside, and expecting other cars to move
Do you think this was intentional or a mistake? A lot of drivers went wide at this first corner in that race.

Also he was punished for it, unlike Max in Brazil where it was clearly intentional.

I'm not saying Hamilton or others are saints compared to Max per se but just pointing out the big differences in the examples you've quoted.

We know how Lando and George perform in lesser cars, they could be as good as Max, hopefully this year we may find out, certainly Leclerk, Hamilton, Russell Verstappen and Norris are possibly the quickest five which is the best driver will always be down to opinion.

Last edited:
Do you think this was intentional or a mistake? A lot of drivers went wide at this first corner in that race.

Also he was punished for it, unlike Max in Brazil where it was clearly intentional.

I'm not saying Hamilton or others are saints compared to Max per se but just pointing out the big differences in the examples you've quoted.
Hamilton‘s signature move for overtakes or defending is to get his car ahead, and edge the other driver off the track. The stewards have deemed that it’s ok to do that, so others also do it. (As far as I can see, the only reason Hamilton was punished in Fuji was because Raikkonen lost a lot of ground because of it. In Brazil, neither driver lost anything)

However, this does come back to bite him every so often, when other drivers won’t be bullied off the track. Maldonado at Valencia and Verstappen at Monza were drivers edged off the track by Hamilton, who held their ground, and ended up taking Hamilton out of the race.

F1Brits_90 - I tend to agree with you. I've been rewatching some of the 1980s GPs, and what I'm struck by is just how similar Verstappen is to the styles of Mansell and Senna at the time.

Neither gave an inch, and would end up hitting rivals than concede the corner. I actually think that much of Verstappen's racecraft is actually better than you would often see from Senna or Mansell (but the cars back then were different beasts, and were much more difficult to drive).

The Artist..... Getting your car Infront and under control is how you claim the corner legally, driving partially alongside and running a car wide isn't legal, though some get away with it sometimes

I saw an article earlier asking whether Verstappen is the best ever.

Seriously?
He was gifted a WDC in the best car and suddenly he's better than two 7 times WDC winners?

Give me a ****ing break!

🙄

I saw an article earlier asking whether Verstappen is the best ever.

Seriously?
He was gifted a WDC in the best car and suddenly he's better than two 7 times WDC winners?

Give me a ****ing break!

🙄
In his own words FFS who wrote the article Christian Horner or Nelson Piquet

Back
Top Bottom