Martin Whitmarsh

Well he's the man that's incharge at Mclaren but what do we all really know about the man named Martin Whitmarsh?

Well i can tell you that he has a degree in Mechanical Engineering. He started his career at British Aerospace (best known as BAE systems these days) as a structural analyst engineer at Hamble-le-Rice.

But in 1989 he was joined Mclaren as Head of Operations. In 1997 he was then promoted to Managing Directors role in which he was in charge of the F1 operation and it's partners and sponsors. In 2004 Martin was again promoted this time his position was CEO of the companies F1 operations.

It wasn't until the 1st March 2009 when Ron Dennis was stepping down from his position, as Team principal that Whitmarsh was promoted into that position.

Ever since Mclaren have had the following Championship standings since 2009:

2009: 3rd
2010: 2nd
2011: 2nd

All and all Whitmarsh's teams have been constitantly improving and he'll produce a championship winning team.

But why does Whitmarsh divide F1 fans opinions of him? Is it because he's not the loud and bouncing team principal that others are? Or is it the fact that he's not as good as Ron Dennis?

RasputinLives Mephistopheles This news has almost gone unnoticed due to the furore surrounding Mercedes drivers

He has probably served his garden leave and been paid off no doubt handsomely for his years of service at Mclaren

We will not know what has gone on . All will be revealed in time when he does book probably about life under Ron Dennis

A victim of Ron's coup as part of internal power struggle between Ron and the other sharesholders

Book title ... already have the copyright ... "Martin ... The Forgotten Man" ...

Hope he pops up somewhere ... I am going to suggest that p'haps his last 12-18 months in charge there was a certain other individual(s) with shovels and backhoes searching and digging for minerals under his feet just about every step he took ....

There comes a point when money is no longer the goal of a mans life and I'm sure that no matter what pay off he has been given will not dull the sense of betrayal he has suffered..

Last edited:
no matter what pay off he has been given will not dull the sense of betrayal he has suffered..
Codswallop. Motorsport is like any other professional sport, it's a dog eat dog world and results count. Whitmarsh didn't bring the results hence he was out. Betrayal my arse. Grow up. :facepalm:

I will clarify my opinion.

Whitmarsh has been an integral part of the McLaren team in partnership with Ron for the last 30 years of his life Ron gets discredited and Whitmarsh is left to run the team, a few years later Ron resurfaces and sacks Whitmarsh, so on what planet is that fair play..?

Last edited:
I think Whitmarsh's contribution to the Mclaren team before he became team principle seems to be forgotten easily.

One of the biggest ironys is that one of his greatest achievements at Mclaren was managing a driver youth programme that developed a talent like Lewis Hamilton perfectly. He didn't let him push up too quickly and made sure he raced in the right catogrys at the right time in order to get in that race seat when he had the chance. The irony is that most people will say Whitmarsh's biggest failure was managing Lewis Hamilton when he was team principle.

F1 is a funny old world.

Back
Top Bottom