"Not racing him today" an expletive filled rant.

cider_and_toast

Exulted Lord High Moderator of the Apex
Staff Member
Valued Member
Our story begins at the Monaco GP in 2001. David Coulthard had an electrical fault on the warm up lap and had to be restarted so ended up starting from the pits. As he made his way back through the field in his McLaren he came up to the back of Brazilian Enrique Bernoldi in his arrows. Try as he may over the course of many laps, Bernoldi held Coulthard off. Coulthard eventually forced his way through and went on to finish 5th.

Coulthard had been going batshit on the radio, Ron Dennis had been going batshit on the pit wall (and would later have a quiet chat with Enrique) and, more importantly for our story, Martin Brundle had been going batshit in the comm box. This in my recollection is the first time a commentator wheeled out the line "he should just let him pass, he knows he's not racing him today"

Why am I bringing this up? Because 22 years later, Anthony Davidson said exactly the same thing in Austria on Sunday, and it was also heard at the Canadian GP two weeks ago and it's been said many times before that.

To this statement I say loudly, **** off and keep ****ing off until you reach a large field. **** off across that field until you arrive at a gate with a sign that says "you can't **** off past here". Climb over that gate and dream the impossible ****ing dream"

Could you imagine the manager of a football team telling his players before a match halfway through the season "**** it lads, we're not going to finish top four and our opposition are, so don't bother trying as we're not really in their league "?

If you're not in a race then what the hell are you doing on the track?

As you may be able to tell, I despise thst attitude. This theory thst drivers should jump out of the way of other cars just because they are supposedly out of position behind them.

Utterly bollocks.

I think the reasoning behind the not racing or holding back a faster driver/car is if they either have a chance of catching or dropping back into the clutches of a rival, a slower car holding back a faster car will inevitably slow both down. If they have nothing to gain or lose then by all means go for it, especially if it's a Red BullLOL

its annoying that it happens & annoying that i would do the same. because i remember loving gene in his minardi fighting for his life over 5th v hakkinen or Davidson in super aguri fighting alonso in the mclaren.

but its boring but i see the logic in why are losing 10 secs keeping perez behind when you know he will overtake any way. youve probaly cost your self points finishing 12th instead of 9th

Isn't also that with the current marshmallow tyres if you hold up a faster car for a lap or two you cook them, still get overtaken and then they're ded ded for when a car you're close to in the championship appears in your mirrors?

Nothing wrong with DRS, just the rules restricting it's use.
It should be free for everyone to use whenever they like.
Agree almost.

I want it used anytime anywhere on track but limited to 12 uses per GP.

That's just another Mario kart invention then
Il_leone - in essence, there used to be a system like this during the turbo era - with a "boost" button. You could only use it for limited amount of time during the GP, because using it would increase fuel usage, and potentially affect the reliability of the engine.

Currently, there is no cost to DRS, and it is heavily weighted in favour of the chasing car. The car at the front of the DRS train has no defence, unless they have a very swift DRS-less car.

I'm not sure what the perfect solution would be, but, something that can be used tactically for both attack and defence would be great...

In formula E, I detest the fact that drivers are forced to drive through the attack zone twice. It would be much better if it were an option - but that it had much more impact on the power of the car...

Just on the issue of back markers, I remember the Australian GP in 1989 Boutsen was having a fairly easy time leading the race when he came to lap Pirro in the Benetton. Second at the time was Nannini in the second Benetton and Pirro held Boutsen up for a number of laps to try and allow is teammate to get closer and overtake. Pirro certainly wasn't racing Boutsen and his actions were very "unsporting". Viva la blue flags as far as I'm concerned with back markers. If racing for position, all is fair.

And this is my point mate

If you are being lapped then get out of the way and stay out of the way.

My examples are where they are racing for position. 7th trying to pass 6th for example.

Anthony Davidson and Martin Brundle to name two but there are others, seem to be of the opinion that a Haas in 6th should leap out of the way and wave through a Red Bull in 7th because hey, the Red Bull is faster and will get by anyway.

It's like saying a non league team should throw an FA Cup match against a top flight team because hey, they're not going to win the cup in the long run so they may as well concede now and save the big boys the bother of actually having to compete for something.

And this is my point mate

If you are being lapped then get out of the way and stay out of the way.

My examples are where they are racing for position. 7th trying to pass 6th for example.

Anthony Davidson and Martin Brundle to name two but there are others, seem to be of the opinion that a Haas in 6th should leap out of the way and wave through a Red Bull in 7th because hey, the Red Bull is faster and will get by anyway.

It's like saying a non league team should throw an FA Cup match against a top flight team because hey, they're not going to win the cup in the long run so they may as well concede now and save the big boys the bother of actually having to compete for something.
No, a Haas better move out of the way of a RB to save tires for fighting other midfield cars with less tire deg. If the Haas fights RB for a lap or 2, will finish probably last...

Back
Top Bottom