First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

Jos you've complete confused me. In your first post you appeared to be slagging Marussia and Pic off and in your second saying they did a good job. no comprenda!
Oh no I like Marussia and the look of an old ferrari from afar colour scheme! I think they did do a good job, but that does sound like I meant to criticise them! I just thought it was some nice data! Pic can only get better! I don't think he can do better than D'ambrosio who did finish 11 of his first 13 races

We're only pleasantly surprised because they had such a bloody awful winter, which was their fault. The car is still pitifully slow and Pic didn't make the flag due to an oil pressure issue.

Glocks 14th place today could be vital by the end of the season, it could possibly see them finish ahead of Caterham in the championship,.. hey you never know! Didn’t Caterham (I mean Lotus,.. or do I?) score a 14th position last season and subsequently finish ahead of Marussia (I mean Virg.. oh give up!).

No, that was HRT I think. Caterham got three 13th places and five 14th places. HRT got one 13th place and finished ahead of Marussia thanks to that. Marussia didn't finish higher than 14th.

Charles Pic didn't set the world alight and Michael Schumacher's fastest lap was faster than both Marussia's, And I think Pic was a couple of laps down right?

Charles Pic was 6 laps down, but that is probably because I think he retired, as before that he was ahead of Glock, then the safety car came up, I would be totally confuzzled on how he would be 6 laps down after the safety car period which came out in the last third of the race.

Oh no I like Marussia and the look of an old ferrari from afar colour scheme! I think they did do a good job, but that does sound like I meant to criticise them! I just thought it was some nice data! Pic can only get better! I don't think he can do better than D'ambrosio who did finish 11 of his first 13 races

Sorry Jos! Me that got totally confused there.

I too think Pic will be hard pushed to do better than D'ambrosio did last year but having said that Pic comes with a much better junior record and looked very quick at times in GP2. Lets hope he gets chance to show it a little - at least by taking Glock on!

Charles Pic was 6 laps down, but that is probably because I think he retired, as before that he was ahead of Glock, then the safety car came up, I would be totally confuzzled on how he would be 6 laps down after the safety car period which came out in the last third of the race.

Pic retired a few laps before the end, I think it was 5.

Why did Glock join V Racing :dunno: This guy has to be the most underrated driver out there by a country mile
Call me wacky but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Ferrari alongside Alonso, he deserves a shot in a top team

V Racing did great at Aus but they, like HRT and even Caterham are just making up the numbers at the moment.

I'd like to see him in a Williams, but that's a digression.

The link-up with McLaren had a lot to do with him agreeing to stay for 2012, if I remember rightly. Obviously the fruits of that collaboration, if there will be any, are yet to be realised.

Why did Glock join V Racing :dunno: This guy has to be the most underrated driver out there by a country mile
Call me wacky but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Ferrari alongside Alonso, he deserves a shot in a top team

V Racing did great at Aus but they, like HRT and even Caterham are just making up the numbers at the moment.

I think Glock was promised his own weight in Jelly babies back in 2010 - not that I think he had many options elsewhere at the time. You have to remember that Manor/Virgin were big mates of Max, they made a lot of fuss about the revolutionary new way they were going to do things and the backing of Richard Branson made them look like they could made an impact. By the time he realised it was all baloney he'd all ready signed a contract.

I used to rate Glock quite highly too - I remember him having a great drive in Hungary one year - and their have always been rumours of him moving to bigger teams but they've always fell through. Makes you wonder what the F1 teams know that we don't.

He had an option to go to Renault after 2009...

Never actually rated him that much, his 2008 season was impressive but afterwards not so much.

Of course it's hard to take much from his performances at the back of the grid, he usually runs well at Monaco and Singapore, but in 2009 I thought he was fairly average.

He had an option to go to Renault after 2009...

No he didn't. They speculated over him but they never offered him a contract - just like last year. Being considered for something isn't an option. Believe me if Glock was offered the Renault/Lotus seat even now he'd jump at it. In fact there is a specific clause in his contract that says if a bigger team come in for him then he's allowed to leave.

Marussia are currently 10th in the constructors championship on the back of Timo Glocks 14th and Charles Pic 15th in Australia.

Believe it or not this is the highest the team have ever been in the constructions championship and Glocks 14th is there equal best result.

They've only scored a 14th 4 times before - Di Grassi at Malaysia 2010, Glock at Japan 2010 and D'ambrosio twice at Australia and Turkey 2011

You look at it that way Glock has done bugger all for them when you think about it!

Back
Top Bottom