First Entered 2010
Races Entered 19
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Manor Motorsport

When F3 team Manor Motorsport were given a place on the F1 grid in 2010 they commissioned Wirth Research to build them a car. Brawn sponsor Virgin became title sponsor and Virgin Racing was born

Virgin Racing

With Cosworth engines, Xtrac gearboxes and drivers Timo Glock and Lucas di Grassi Virgin Racing embarked on their first F1 season. The VR01 chassis was the first ever F1 designed entirely using CFD, with designer Nick Wirth believing computer simulations were sufficient to not need expensive wind tunnel testing.

Inevitably the team had reliability issues early on and they also discovered the fuel tank on the car wasn't sufficiently large enough to allow the team to complete full race distance. Wirth Research got a dispensation from the FIA to homologate a new chassis and by Spain both cars finished the race.

The team regularly finished races but barely troubled the mid-field. By seasons end the team were placed 12th and last in the Constructors Championship based on a count back of minor placing’s having managed a highest finish of 14th.

Russian carmaker Marussia have taken a controlling interest in the team for 2011 and Belgian Jerome d’Ambrosio replaces Lucas di Grassi. With the VR02 chassis Virgin will be hoping to move further up the grid in 2011.

You might seem to think it's just dodgy dealing by Bernie but that solution would be the best result for all, especially when it comes to the employees of the two troubled teams. It also solves the 3 car team problem. It doesn't mean the back markers will get any quicker, there will always be someone at the back, just have to hope these new investors are willing to put enough money in to make it work.

It won't solve the problem for the employees of both teams as there is noway they'll keep all of them on.

As for Bernie - I'm sure he is working towards the best solution. Its just a shame he didn't work harder to keep Marussia afloat whilst they were going. Lets face it he activly disliked them and isolated them so it seems a bit two faced now he is swooping in to save them. The only reason he has is to get someone he would rather have in F1 in the sport. If he'd really cared about Marussia he'd have 'lent a hand' a long time before this or even better made the teams agree to share the money out more so things like this didn't happen.

Just thinking from a Haas perspective that it might have be wise for them to buy the Marussia entry for 2015. They could have run round at the back under the Marussia name but gaining data for their entry as Haas in 2016. With the lack of testing I'd have thought a whole season of testing would have been invaluable. Expensive but really the only way the team can get anywhere near the level of the other teams.

Autosport said Haas had purchased the site only and they were waiting for the kit inside to be removed.

Yes. Just the name. They will be allowed to change that too though - especially as the current entry is under Manor F1 who have never been in F1 in the first place.

Well if it was to be a Ferrari junior team then I suggest the fact that both the top of the pile Ferrari junior drivers announced deals in other Formulas today is a sign no deal has been done!

Maybe a Honda junior team?

Marussia will be exiting administration on the 19th of February and are planning on competing in the 1st race. They will get their prize money but no buyer as of yet.

They are planning on returning as Manor so I think a thread name change will be needed if they make it to the grid. Further information is coming out that Haas may be leasing their own facilities back to them for this season.

Last edited:
It is unclear who the investors are willing to fund Marussia's F1 return, but suggestions that McLaren could be behind it are believed to be wide of the mark.
So it is definitely a McLaren junior team then, I expect Kmag to be one of it's drivers

McLaren have strongly denied association with the deal according to twitter. That doesn't mean Honda aren't interested though.

Interesting. I thought they really were dead and gone but instead they will be a zombie team driving around at the back hoping that somehow by continuing to plod around something will bring them back to life. You can't fault them for trying.

I fully expect two high paying pay drivers to be in the cars so my money is on Johnny Ceccto Jr and Sergio Canamasas joining the F1 grid. Which will be massive fun for anyone who has to lap them!

Poor old Marussia - lets hope some sort of miricale happend during the course of 2015 and hey can be a proper team again for 2016.

I really don't see how they can compete this year.

First: who would supply them with engines, given the massive amount of money they still owe on last years power units?
Second: Since they would be using last year's car, it is doubtful that any of this year's power units will fit, given how much they have been revised.
Third: I don't see how they could even lure pay drivers. Who would be willing to cough up huge amounts of cash just so they could have the "honor" of driving around at the very back of field and trying to stay out of everybody's way?

It all sounds highly unlikely to me.

Its already been stated that Ferrari will supply them engines again which to me indicates that all the teams are pitching in a hand on this front which I think may be motivated by Bernie who has got involved. What exactly Bernie's motive is when he used to hate Marussia I have no idea.

As for the pay drivers - the practice of pay drivers paying for the honour of driving round at the back is a time honoured tradition in F1

Back
Top Bottom