Lewis Hamilton - Double Standards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like to give my two cents worth on this...

Many of the Hamilton fans here have pointed out that Hamilton has been accused of being guilty of many things by neutral fans and by pundits (or someone with good F1 knowledge), this is the first time ever I have heard that neutral fans believe that Hamilton was at fault for the spy-gate, and a few other incidents. There are always going to be those that will make up stuff and come up with weird claims towards a driver, be it Alonso for being a "multiple cheater" because his team has been involved in many gates, Raikkonen being "lazy" and "unmotivated", Vettel for being the "crash kid" but to categorise them as "normal" fans when it comes to Hamilton I don't think so...

He has been involved in a fair few controversies, and doesn't help himself, in incidents he tends to make contrasting statements after a while, so we are all left confused as one interview he will say one thing, the next in another.

My view on the incidents that have been mentioned in the OP

Monza 2010: Hamilton's fault as he braked too late and went into a gap that was going to disappear quickly. Also don't get Brogan's point on how Massa should have passed him around the other way, when Massa was already ahead going into the corner, and it certainly wasn't Massa's fault that Hamilton came from a long way back, and went into a small space that was going to vanish.

Singapore 2010: that to me is clearly Webber's fault, why didn't he get a penalty? It still puzzles me to this day, as does no penalty for Australia 2010. But the stewards then were more lenient then than this year, and Webber for some reason tends to get away with a lot of incidents. I don't remember Hamilton getting blamed for that from neutrals or pundits, at worst it would be 50/50, but I still think that was Webber's fault.

Canada 2011: Both drivers at fault in my opinion, Button closed the door too early, but then he said he couldn't see where Hamilton was, Hamilton got too excited. And I remember Button getting as much criticism as Hamilton did for that.

Belgium 2011: Same as Canada but the roles are reversed, the difference here though, is Button couldn't see where Hamilton's car was because of the conditions, Hamilton didn't look in his mirrors, and Kobayashi could have backed out earlier. I fail to see how many here give Kobayashi full 100% blame, and vice versa.

Reading this thread, one would get the impression that double standards have never existed until Hamilton came on the scene.

How about the treatment of Schumacher (dick dastardly to some) vs Saint Senna.

Or Bennetton, those low-life cheats who unquestionably used illegal traction control, vs McLaren who were persecuted for merely being in possession of vast amounts of pilfered Ferrari specs and data?

Double standards are commonplace, even on CTA and among those that take most umbrage to penalties give to Lewis. In a way, double standards are in the eye of the beholder, and will always be with us.

Reading this thread, one would get the impression that double standards have never existed until Hamilton came on the scene.

Or Bennetton, those low-life cheats who unquestionably used illegal traction control, vs McLaren who were persecuted for merely being in possession of vast amounts of pilfered Ferrari specs and data?

Double standards are commonplace, even on CTA and among those that take most umbrage to penalties give to Lewis. In a way, double standards are in the eye of the beholder, and will always be with us.

This thread is not about history. It is about the present.

Yes, of course. There are a few oddities in that one, aren't there...

Lets take Schumacher at Adelaide in 1994. A dispicable cheat, he deliberately crashed to win the World Championship. OK, thats never been proven. But his card was marked when he definitely attempted it again in Jerez in 1997 and was thrown out. Deserved it too. Scum of the earth.

Its not like Senna ever deliberately crashed (and admitted it) in order to win a World Championship. Except for that time he did.

I admit, I'm noticing my own double standards here. Lewis was absolutely not to blame for Belgium 2011, but of course Seb was 100% at fault for Istanbul 2010.

I cant help but come back to Lauda when double standards and lewis hamilton are in the title thread. I got to wondering about lauda's take on Shumacher, an aggressive driver guilty of some dangerous and premeditated moves. he must have criticised about him too. But no. He defends his aggresive driving. Says F1 would be boring without it and that when he himself drove he would often drive competitors off the track:rolleyes:. He says the only difference now(now being 2001) is that cameras will see you:o.This is an article where he's defending Schumacher for driving aggressively at Coulthard after making a poor start. Am I allowed to post a link to the article? It has to be read to be believed!

I cant help but come back to Lauda when double standards and lewis hamilton are in the title thread. I got to wondering about lauda's take on Shumacher, an aggressive driver guilty of some dangerous and premeditated moves. he must have criticised about him too. But no. He defends his aggresive driving. Says F1 would be boring without it and that when he himself drove he would often drive competitors off the track:rolleyes:. He says the only difference now(now being 2001) is that cameras will see you:o.This is an article where he's defending Schumacher for driving aggressively at Coulthard after making a poor start. Am I allowed to post a link to the article? It has to be read to be believed!

I always get the feeling with Lauda he is a bit like RTL's EJ, except EJ admits when he is wrong and his ego is under control.
I know other (slightly mad) people on 606 perceived the BBC to be wildly biased towards one driver or another...but I have heard foreign stations are a lot worse?? Can anyone clarify that? I think its relevant as Lauda being one of the talking heads at RTL may feel to appease the station and its viewers he might have to share some of his....erm...(mental?) opinions?

Nice one, racecub, an excellent example:thumbsup:.

I particularly like his remark ""In my day we used to hit each other off the road but if somebody complained afterwards, we'd just say, 'I don't know what happened'. Now you cannot really do that".

Now we know why Lewis apparently never remembers what happened ... he learnt that one from the old masters! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom