Lewis Hamilton - Double Standards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, who fancies updating Lauda's wiki with a few quotes? :snigger:

"What Hamilton did there goes beyond all boundaries," Lauda told RTL television. "He is completely mad. If the FIA does not punish him, I do not understand the world any more.

"At some point there has to be an end to all the jokes. You cannot drive like this - as it will result in someone getting killed."

And

"In my day we used to hit each other off the road but if somebody complained afterwards, we'd just say, 'I don't know what happened'. Now you cannot really do that.

"What Schumacher did and what Coulthard did was just human reaction and I can fully understand it.

"If you are on pole position and make a bad start you think you'd better move over to defend your position.

"People complained but it is part of the show of Formula One and I don't think that FIA should interfere.

"If they do and make things more strict then in the end there will be less action and the sport will get more boring."

Nb;
In Laudas day 35 years ago cars and tracks were infinitely more lethal than now
Lewis actually went into the wall to avoid a swerving car
Schumacher tried to push a car into the wall

Just before everyone and their dog has a go at the "sub standard officiating" does anybody really consider this from the stewarding point of view?

Sure there are times where you sit and wonder why the stewards are percieved to be out to get Hamilton, particularly of such fair weather circumstances, and in this case I tend to feel that Lewis does from time to time draw the short end of the stick.

Then when you ponder deeper, and look at it from the stewarding perspective, when they are officiating a "crime scene" (fender bender, prang, coming together, illegal move etc etc etc) why do they get the feeling that in some way or the other Lewis Hamilton's name is going to be involved? Sure Hamilton seems to be stigmatised as the F1 badboy and there are times when it is justified and times when it is borderline a crusade/head hunting, but surely if you constantly put yourself in that position, you are going to draw the unwanted criticism/rebuke.

I feel that if Lewis is punished for something and another driver is called up for a similar incident, then the same letter of the law should be applied, if there is a different scale of liability apportioned then it is avert to any principle of justice, in short what Lewis is punished for should apply without any prejudice to every other driver appropriately.

Grizzly said:
So, who fancies updating Lauda's wiki with a few quotes? :snigger:
"What Hamilton did there goes beyond all boundaries," Lauda told RTL television. "He is completely mad. If the FIA does not punish him, I do not understand the world any more.

"At some point there has to be an end to all the jokes. You cannot drive like this - as it will result in someone getting killed."

-----------------------------------------------------------
Cookin

If Lewis had done the Fly-over.....high speed take -off over Heikki .....that Mark Webber did last year.....I could maybe understand N Lauda's comments were made about him.

Nigel Mansell has said Lewis is a manufactured driver...but that.he had to struggle, like J Button........ to win WDC

Jealousy?
Or do NL & NM both see Lewis...... a likeness to Ayrton Senna?..... he trounced them both.....memories get clouded

Yup, its just mad jealousy from both of them, its no coincidence that they were both underachievers in the 'brave aggressive' mould of driver

Lauda said that about Canada where Lewis went into the wall to avoid a Button who admitted to not having seen him before swinging left.

The race was hardly over before he started on the BS

Jealousy?
Or do NL & NM both see Lewis...... a likeness to Ayrton Senna?..... he trounced them both.....memories get clouded

This could be a good point. Maybe they will automatically take a dislike to a man who is most like the person who wiped the floor with them all those years ago. Especially Lauda, being stuffed by Senna in his first year in a Toleman at Monaco.

And

"In my day we used to hit each other off the road but if somebody complained afterwards, we'd just say, 'I don't know what happened'. Now you cannot really do that.

I suppose there in a nutshell is double standards relating to Lewis Hamilton.

I never hear of Lauda or Mansel mentioned too often when we speak of the greats, both were champions and therefore underachieved in the hall of champions

Mansell threw away more Championships than he won, so yes.

But Lauda? He was twice champion in the 70s, which would have been 3-in-a-row had he not nearly died in an accident at the Nurburgring. He only lost that Championship by 3 points.

Then there was his comeback from retirement, when he took on Alain Prost in the same car in the World Championship. And won!

I think you're deluding yourself if you think "three-time world champion" and "underachiever" should go in the same sentence.

And Lauda's ability as a driver has little bearing on his opinion of Hamilton.

This is what grates me. If you really think that Lauda's and Mansell's comments are just merely them blowing hot air, and amounts to nothing, why not shrug it off and move on as in the greater scheme of things it is quite literally BS. So Lauda and Mansell make comments about Hamilton whether right or wrong (or somewhere in between, over the rainbow be it as it may) because you don't like the remarks/rebukes you feel the need to rebuke the said experts for I don't know having an expert opinion on the matter.

If you really find the comments so destable to the core, why not have your own opinion instead of turning it into a "no holds bared" slagging fest about two experts that have an opinion on your favourite that when the dust settles means absolutely nothing anyways.

Here is a little list of incidents Hamilton has got the blame for:

• An incident with Webber in Singapore 2010
  • Hitting the back of Massa at Monza 2010
  • Hitting the back of Jenson Button
  • Being hit by Kobayashi
  • Cutting a chicane and giving the place back to Raikkonen at Spa
  • 243 drive through penalties at Monaco 2011
  • Causing the Spa '98 pile-up
  • Making the original Team Lotus' uncompetitive and forcing them out of F1
  • Jean Marie Balestre
  • Laying the gravel in the pit lane in China
  • The closure of 606
  • Allowing Casualty to still be on TV
  • Being Sepp Blatter's dad
  • Hacking into people's phones at the NoTW
  • Shooting JFK
  • Shooting Archduke Franz Ferdinand
  • Moving an iceberg right into the path of the Titanic
  • Telling Churchill that 'Galipoli is a great idea'
  • Baldrick from 'Blackadder'
  • John Button's incontinence
I maybe exaggerating here, but this is the kind of blame Hamilton gets. Sure, he makes mistakes- don't we all- but some of the incidents that he's had, particularly the mystifying Spa '08 one, often use Hamilton as a scapegoat for problems unfairly.

Sorry, I may have seemed a little 'fanboy'-ish there! But, I do think that Hamilton gets some unfair criticism when you consider the penalties he's had this year, and compare with races where other good drivers have had 'mares in recent times. E.g. No penalties for Vettel at Spa '10 for taking Button out and hampering Liuzzi's race by crashing into him. I remember a few ridiculous penalties similar to the Spa '08 one being applied to Fernando Alonso back in '06 as well. So penalties have been applied needlessly at times to others, and they haven't been applied when they perhaps should have been.

Mansell threw away more Championships than he won, so yes.

But Lauda? He was twice champion in the 70s, which would have been 3-in-a-row had he not nearly died in an accident at the Nurburgring. He only lost that Championship by 3 points.

Then there was his comeback from retirement, when he took on Alain Prost in the same car in the World Championship. And won!

I think you're deluding yourself if you think "three-time world champion" and "underachiever" should go in the same sentence.

And Lauda's ability as a driver has little bearing on his opinion of Hamilton.

I agree TBY, their driving careers are without question and I'm not denigrating that. It's just they should know better having being in the exact situation that Hamilton is himself. I may be wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time) but I don't recall Jackie Stewart or Emmo Fittipaldi constantly laying into either of these two while they were driving in the 70's/80's. Thats the point I'm trying to get across. Fair enough some of Hamilton's actions in the past have drawn criticism (and rightfully so) but everytime there is an incident it's like there is a green light to paint him as the villain by the pundits without considering all sides of the story. I can't remember who but on the Stewards thread someone has posted a brilliant breakdown of the results of the stewards enquiries with the Hamilton/Button incident which contrasts greatly with what Mansell and Lauda have said.

Yup, its just mad jealousy from both of them, its no coincidence that they were both underachievers in the 'brave aggressive' mould of driver

images

I never hear of Lauda or Mansel mentioned too often when we speak of the greats, both were champions and therefore underachieved in the hall of champions

Oh so there is a great hall of champions and Lauda is not welcome....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom