Lewis contract situation

Lewis isn't allowed to earn as much as the other top drivers as he's not good enough according to some people here.
I think the general thinking is that some of the drivers demands seem the tiniest bit excessive in this day of cutting costs rather than about Lewis in particular, he just happens to be the one negotiating a contract at the moment and for some reason or other there seems to be a stumbling block.

In the day of Frank and the mighty Williams car a driver either took what was offered or he could naff off.

Last edited:
This could go here or in the Politics thread but my understanding of the US tax system is that if you are a US passport holder and live abroad you still have to complete a tax return every year. If you have paid less tax in your country of residence than you would in the US you have to pay the difference to the Federal Government. If you want to avoid this you have to renounce your US citizenship and give up your passport. I wonder how many British, German or whatever European nationality would become Monegasque citizens if this were the same in Europe.

That's a good system and because Monaco is a tax free country then they would have to pay the full value of the British tax I believe Italy runs a similar system.

I reckon we should adopt it..

Frankly, the tax-dodgers in Monaco make me want to vomit. For the 35+ years we had our primary residence in the United States, we filled tax returns in both countries, which seems quite fair to me since we benefited from both our citizenships and our foreign-generated incomes (pertains only to me).

If you want to be a tax dodger by living in Monaco, IMO you should be stripped of your native citizenship and face rather honorus screening when you try to enter the country you were born in.

It all comes down to a matter of greed. The middle class pay their taxes to their country of residence, yet the filthy rich run and hide. To me, that makes them truly despicable.

You have to play the negotiation game if you think you are in demand and deserved to be paid that much.

If you think with Hamilton - he is considered one of the top 3 drivers on the grid , and he is the current world champion . If both Alonso and Vettel are earning over $25m a season then Hamilton should expect that much.

He is in a strong bargaining position because i) He is driving for the best team at the moment ii) the 2nd best team may have a seat available and are improving

iii) Both Vettel and Alonso are tied into their contracts and really neither can leave their teams risking their reputation

iv) Of the young guns - the big teams won't risk them unless talks with Lewis fails

I would think that Mercedes is in a strong bargaining position as well, because:
1)Rosberg would have taken the championship last year if Hamilton wasn't there
2) If Hamilton were to go to Ferrari, the personality clash between him and Seb might well be large enough to totally unsettle the team, thereby ensuring that Mercedes holds the upper hand

If you think with Hamilton - he is considered one of the top 3 drivers on the grid , and he is the current world champion . If both Alonso and Vettel are earning over $25m a season then Hamilton should expect that much.
It is quite clear that he has already been offered more than that much the team have actually confirmed this, so that argument about why the delay on signing doesn't hold water.

Maybe it is a simple matter of both sides agreeing to a delay in signing to gain publicity and therefore are talked about giving them both greater exposure for their sponsors, after all why kill a good story over a signature.

The gossip columns love this sort of shit.

Personally I preferred the frankness of Vettel when he simply announced I'm off to Ferrari see ya..

Last edited:
rufus_mcdufus.......If Rosberg was teamed with Ricciardo, who possibly could offer him a serious challenge, which may prove your point.

Mercedes should be eternally grateful that you two aren't handling the contract negotiations for them, for if you were, it is obvious that Hamilton would be sole owner of Daimler Corp.

This is what I reckon Lewis wants written in his contract judging by the comments on here.
  1. A guarantee that he will win every race
  2. 70 million per season plus one million race bonus for every time he wins
  3. Be allowed to keep his championship winning car
  4. Be allowed to keep all the race winning trophies both driver and constructors
  5. Be allowed to keep the championship trophies both driver and constructors
  6. Have time off to make gangster rap records
  7. Never have to do any promotional stuff ever
  8. Be given 50% of all the Mercedes company shares including all subsidiaries
  9. To be tucked up in bed at night by a supermodel for every race weekend
  10. For the entire team to bow their heads when ever they are in his presence
Plus some other secret stuff that may or may not be deal breakers dependant upon how he feels at the time.

Last edited:
This could go here or in the Politics thread but my understanding of the US tax system is that if you are a US passport holder and live abroad you still have to complete a tax return every year. If you have paid less tax in your country of residence than you would in the US you have to pay the difference to the Federal Government. If you want to avoid this you have to renounce your US citizenship and give up your passport. I wonder how many British, German or whatever European nationality would become Monegasque citizens if this were the same in Europe.

This is true, however there are countries and banks which won't cooperate with US tax authorities - which then makes it an honor system. Cayman Islands for example.

Umm maybe, just maybe people should stand up and do the right thing and pay their ****ing dues life's been good to them but they prefer it to be better and avoid tax.

You've got wealth beyond what you could ever spend, you've got a job which is more than just a job it is your passion, you've got the adulation or your fans, you have everything that anyone could possibly dream of so why not give a little back for **** sake?

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly grotesquely-overpaid sports figures lose touch with reality.

How would he like to cope with the 5-day 50-week work year that most people face, and get paid 1-2% as much as he now makes (as most people do) as part of the bargain?

What really astounds me is that so many of the general public complain that their favourite sports figure is underpaid!!!!

The fact he said things were cool, amazing, surreal, he had to pinch himself etc... Shows he does acknowledge his situation.

How many of you worked your arse off from the age of 8 and forfeited a normal childhood and maintained that determination and work ethic to succeed in a way most adults fail, so he have this life? And you can't even bitch about his upbringing and opportunities, because they were made by two people. Him and his dad.

Without wishing to stoke the argument (OK then, why not), why are Alonso & Vettel immune from this criticism but with Hamilton it seems to be open season contanstly on how much he gets paid, where he pays his tax etc. Is it because he's British and most of the criticism comes from Brits? Are Alonso, Vettel, Raikkonen (who got paid a lot for not racing a few years back) similarly criticised in their home countries?

Back
Top Bottom