Le Mans Le Mans 2015

Cheers for that mate. Other than the criteria leading to a classification, it doesn't amount to much else then.

Apologies if you knew this, but it bears repeating: the ACO place restrictions on who can be part of a driving combination in each of the different classes. This is to prevent "professional" crews undermining the competitiveness of the designated privateer classes: LMP2 and GTE-Am.

LMP1: Only Platinum, Gold and Silver drivers can participate
LMP2: At least one of the three drivers must be either Silver or Bronze
GTE-Pro: No restrictions
GTE-Am: At least one of the three drivers must be Bronze, and another of the three must be either Silver or Bronze

Last edited:
The Porsche vs Audi aspect is particularly interesting as it amounts to fratricide.

-------------------------------------

Are there any precedent to that kind of situation? There must have been but I can't really think of an example off the top of my head?

At Le Mans, about a decade ago Bentley were the chosen ones for the victory, and up against some privateer Audis - but the works Joest team was rested.

In world rallying, Citroen competed against Peugeot for some time. Not sure of any other examples right now, though...:thinking:

Predictions of poor weather tomorrow, so tonight's qualifying session could set the grid. 1 minute to go...:ok:

...and on the first lap in qualifying, Jackie Oliver's 44-year-old lap record has finally been broken! Timo Bernhard sets a 3:17.7 in Porsche 17, immediately bettered by team-mate Neel Jani on a 3:16.8.

LMP1 standings after Qualifying Session 1:
1. Porsche 18 3:16.887 (Neel Jani) - new record
2. Porsche 17 3:17.767 (Timo Bernhard)
3. Porsche 19 3:19.297 (Nick Tandy)
4. Audi 8 3:19.866 (Loic Duval)
5. Audi 9 3:21.081 (Marco Bonanomi)
6. Audi 7 3:21.839 (Benoit Treluyer)
7. Toyota 2 3:23.543 (Stephane Sarrazin)
8. Toyota 1 3:23.767 (Kazuki Nakajima)
12. Nissan 23 3:38.468 (Jann Mardenborough)
21. Nissan 22 3:41.400 (Harry Tincknell)
31. Nissan 21 3:45.807 (Lucas Ordonez)

GTE-Pro standings:
1. Aston Martin 99 3:54.928 (Richie Stanaway)
2. Ferrari 51 3:55.306 (Gianmaria Bruni)
3. Aston Martin 97 3:55.466 (Stefan Mucke)
4. Aston Martin 95 3:55.783 (Marco Sorensen)
5. Corvette 63 3:55.963 (Antonio Garcia)
6. Corvette 64 3:57.081 (Tommy Milner)
7. Porsche 91 3:57.192 (Jorg Bergmeister)
8. Ferrari 71 3:57.216* (James Calado)
9. Porsche 92 3:57.667 (Frederic Makowiecki)

*faster time deleted for exceeding track limits

All the quick times in LMP1 were set at the start of the session, when there's the least traffic around. Porsche were fast down the straights with their 8MJ of hybrid power and Neel Jani set a new lap record for any configuration of circuit at Le Mans, beating Jackie Oliver's 1971 time of 3:18 on a circuit without the Mulsanne chicanes, the Porsche Curves, Ford Chicane or Dunlop Chicane.

Audi couldn't match Porsche on one-lap pace, but Benoit Treluyer lapped consistently in the 3:22-3:23 range on a longer run towards the end of the session, only slightly behind the Porsche pace at that point. Treluyer twice went off at the first Mulsanne Chicane, however, and team-mate Rene Rast spun avoiding another car at Mulsanne Corner, precipitating a 25-minute red flag delay in the middle of the session.

Interestingly Toyota are, so far, slower in qualifying than they were last year: an inquest looks likely. Neither economy or reliability look likely to make up the deficit in the race.

The new Nissan lapped broadly on pace with the LMP2 cars, and spent longer in the garage; the car is almost a match for the Porsches down the straights, proving the low-drag concept with only 2MJ of energy recovery on board; but is losing a lot of time in the curves. 2015 will be a learning year in preparation for the originally planned, "full fat" concept making it's debut in 2016.

Aston Martin dominated in GT, but as ever there wasn't a huge amount to choose in the times. Ferrari look to be the closest on pace, Corvette are thereabouts and, in one class at least, Porsche have some work to do.

Woah just seen times from Q1 & 3:16 already ive never known LMP1 so quick in the many yrs ive watching its always been 3:20's shows how quick they are that last yrs "record" pole (according to eurosport ) wouldve come 7th

. Looking fwd to this weekend should be great race audi v porsche v Toyota & possibly a shock in nissan. I still think Toyota/ Davidson has a chance at this because last few yrs audi have been on 2nd/3rd row of the grid gone on to win with great race pace

Galahad, no need to say sorry mate. My knowledge of endurance racing is sadly lacking. I manged to watch a great deal of the 24hrs a couple of years ago but little else. Having said that, your write up on Le Mans that you submitted to the site many moons ago remains one of my favorite pieces of writing to grace these pages and I remain determined to cross the ditch one day and watch the race trackside.

I wonder what it would look like if you viewed it through 3D glasses?

It looks 5D when viewed through 3D glasses.

Anyways, I find it hard to believe Nissan is losing that much time in the corners alone. They might have top speed, but I'm guessing they are taking way too long getting up to that speed.

An uneventful second session has ended under a red flag, after Jan Magnussen's Corvette hit the wall heavily in the Porsche Curves. Initial impression is that he appears shaken but not severely hurt.

Other than the Nissans making small improvements, there was no change to the status quo at the front of the field.

Anyways, I find it hard to believe Nissan is losing that much time in the corners alone. They might have top speed, but I'm guessing they are taking way too long getting up to that speed.

You could be right. They're underpowered, and somewhat underprepared.

They're not running their hybrid system which would explain the lack of power.

Who's the smart money on in the GTE classes? Some really interesting names crop up at that end of the grid. Pedro Lamy, Oliver Gavin, Ryan Briscoe, Mathius Lauda, Giancarlo Fisichella, Olivier Berreta all well known names.

Who's the smart money on in the GTE classes?

GTE-Am is easier, the Aston #98 driven by Lamy, Mathias Lauda and Paul Dalla Lana won both of the WEC rounds thus far this season, and is probably overall the strongest driver line-up in the fastest car. If they run into trouble, expect the #83 AF Corse Ferrari of Emmanuel Collard, Francois Perrodo and Rui Aguas to pick up the pieces.

As for the Pro class, it looks as if Aston Martin have won the Balance of Performance lottery this year, but there isn't much in it. My opinion would be that the driver lineup of Turner, Mucke and Bell in the #97 "Art" car is the strongest of the three, so therefore favourites for victory. However the Gimmy Bruni Ferrari #51 is always there, and having won all three WEC titles so far, as well as Le Mans in 2012 and 2014, should definitely not be counted out.

Corvette are close enough on pace, but I'm not completely convinced by the driving lineups; Ryan Briscoe replaces Richard Westbrook, and that might not be an upgrade for the #63 car, while similarly I don't know that the lineup in #64 is up with the very best from Aston and Ferrari either. Having said that, the same #64 crew were well in contention for victory last year, and really it depends on who spends the least time in the pits.

At this point I would rule out a Porsche victory. Jorg Bergmeister has just said on Radio Le Mans that they're hoping for rain! Really it'll need to rain for about 16 hours to give them a chance.

Galahad's picks:
1. Ferrari #51
2. Aston Martin #97
3. Corvette #63

Im disappointed that Martin plowman & bertrand baguette haven't returned, as them as teammates did give a laugh last year or 2 yrs ago. Also a craving for cheese & pickle sandwich

Sorry to hijack the thread with morbidity but it's 60 years to the day since the terrible Le Mans accident where 84 or more people died and over 120 injured. Let's hope this weekend is completely safe.

Last edited:
Ford GT back at Le Mans for 2016. A bit late for this weekend, but I had to post the promo pic though because this looks pretty sexy!
FORD_LE_MANS_9.vadapt.955.high.0.jpg

I watched Allan Simonsen's crash and it seemed fairly low impact so when it was announced that firstly he was in trouble and then later that he'd passed away it was a real shock. It was the first Le Mans I'd actually watched from the start and then went on to watch for the remainder of the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom