Head To Head Jenson Button vs Lewis Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also worth pointing out that in Korea Jenson got boxed up on the first lap by Massa and lost a lot of positions, yet still clawed his way back to 4th, and in Abu Dhabi he was plagued with KERS gremlins and still managed to keep Webber at bay & attain the podium.

Cook, I do not have any absolute proof that the pole sitters start place was any cleaner than that of the second driver. However, numerous commentators have said that the pole position on the great majority of circuits is on the clean side, from what I saw of qualifying and the race (the BBC didn't show it all) the preferred line for the drivers was on the pole position side of the circuit, so the natural assumption is (imo, as ever) that the pole position for this year's Australian GP was on the clean side.

Do you have any proof that it wasn't? If so I would not mind being corrected.

riskitall said "didnt button win a race before lewis in 2010 and lewis win a race before button in 2011?
and lewis beat button in 2010 and button beat lewis in 2011.so so far the driver that hasnt won the first race has gone on to beat the other driver over a season."

Had he written "pole position" then I would have responded likewise (except that in both those seasons Hamilton had the first pole of the pair so riskitall's premise would not have worked).

All this is, of course, my opinion. However I will give you one FACT. There are a number of Hamilton supporters who seem to be having difficulty with Button beating Hamilton by driving faster on a dry circuit. They are coming up with all sorts of statements which they cannot prove and are also unlikely.

The will be races which suit Button more than Hamilton, there will be races which suit Hamilton more than Button. In these the tendency will be that the faster driver of the pair on that day will beat the other fair and square.

I have had my say and, unless something new comes up, I will read the responses to this thread but am unlikely to reply.
Of course it's the bloody clean side of the track what are people jabbering on about?

On a new related topic, surely we should wait till 6/7 races in or at least the midrace point of the season before comparing? It might be a game of you win I win, battling out at the top of the championship. If this does happen, podiums will be much more important, especially 2nd and 3rd

Yes Hamilton had a poor start but if you were watching carefully (Well not that carefully because it was as plain as day and it was being explained at the time) Jenson also had a poor start he shifted to early into second gear and got bogged down slightly, so it is even more surprising he got to the first corner first...

Edit

This was seen on the onboard footage after the race...

Yes Hamilton had a poor start but if you were watching carefully (Well not that carefully because it was as plain as day and it was being explained at the time) Jenson also had a poor start he shifted to early into second gear and got bogged down slightly, so it is even more surprising he got to the first corner first...

Edit

This was seen on the onboard footage after the race...

My powers of observation may not be at your high level, but Hamilton's clutch problem wasn't his fault, and without that problem he stood a better chance of taking advantage of Button's mistake into the first turn.

Especially after his poor start was determined by his engineers to may have been caused by a small issue with his clutch, and possibly could have been a major reason why Lewis lost the race too the first turn.

ttp://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98230

Well well well

That rather changes the complexion of the battle between the two so far. I think we can safely chalk 'car issue' into the mitigating circumstances and dnf column

Also explains his downbeat demeanour after the race until he was debriefed by his engineers

Game on

Well I'm not sure that's the reason he was uncompetitive in relation to Button apart from into turn one. The comments are in relation to a clutch issue at the start inability to switch his tyres on and the safety car. He needs to work on his tyres then.

"Afterwards, I sat down with my engineers and we went through all the data. There was a small issue with the clutch at the start: it wasn't my fault, but we now understand and know how to improve in the future.

Hungary = 0.1 behind, beats Lewis in race
Spa = Jenson qualified well down field
Monza = Less than 0.1 behind, beats Lewis in race
Signapore = Less than 0.1 ahead, beats Lewis in race
Suzuka = 0.1 ahead
Korea = 0.3 behind, finishes close behind Lewis
India = 0.4 behind, beats Lewis in race
Abu Dhabi = Less than 0.1 behind, Finished well behind Lewis
Brazil 0.2 ahead
Oz 2012 = Less that 0.1 behind, beat Lewis in race.

So more often than not Jenson has been slower slightly slower in quali, but has beaten Lewis in the races. This trend has carried on into 2012. I hope Lewis is aware of this and must stop this to have any chance of beating Jenson this year.

I think the reason that many are surprised about the results of Round 1 is because when you look at that list, Australia 2012 is the first race where Jense was slower in Quali, yet won the GP in a straight fight without incidents.

HUN - Spin, penalty, extra stop for wets
ITA - Held up and chopped up for lap after lap (Button finally caught up and passed right before SCH pits)
SIN & IND - Massa

So aside from Oz, I don't think that list tells us much about pure pace. Oz is very important mind you, and right now I cannot say with any certainty that Lewis will come out on top this year. I'm eager to see what happens in Malaysia though.

My powers of observation may not be at your high level, but Hamilton's clutch problem wasn't his fault, and without that problem he stood a better chance of taking advantage of Button's mistake into the first turn.
I was just making an observation that's all nothing more nothing less..

The only time the clutch is used is at the start and during pit stops Lewis had no such clutch problem at the pit stops and any clutch problem would not affect his race pace.

When a driver talks about a problem with the clutch off the start he usually means he didn't set it properly during the start sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom