Is the Radio Complaint Becoming F1's Version of Diving?

My worry is I don't think the stewards are wise to the tactics. I think they are far more worried about second guessing public opinion.
...... or, more likely, second guessing the media, who then indoctrinate large sections of the public to their opinion.
Have to agree that it would be better to ban all radio chat from the live broadcasts.

It is sad that personal, private and individual thought is fast becoming ridiculed as a thing of the past.

Read an article yesterday by DC trying to convince us all that LW is totally beloved by the whole of the UK (or maybe not Scotland) because he has now exited that stage of his life where he was a conceited, whinging, muli-millionaire, ****-wit.

I think I posetd in the German GP thread that sitting track side Rosberg, in particular, looked very serene as he ran through to win but my wife (who was watching at home (on the DVR) thought that both Mercs were in trouble because of the radio messages being broadcast. We don't need them, they add nothing to the viewing experience, don't broadcast them.

As a complete aside, do the FIA publish any details on the total fuel usage of the cars during the race? It would be interesting to know which engine is most efficient and who would run the risk of running out of fuel if they spent the whole race on banzai laps.

The computer in my little Honda Jazz tells me how far I can go on the amount of petrol in the tank. If I slow down, it tells me I can go further. If I speed up, it tells me I won't get so far. It would not be difficult to add this to the steering wheel display on an F1 car.
(I would recommend that it is more accurate though, as once I get down to about 30 miles remaining it drops like a stone!):D

They don't mention whether this applies to the whole weekend or just qualifying and race day. Which IMHO is pretty important consideration.

When is radio between a pilot and the team appeared in Formula 1?
I saw somewhere about the 60th
But in the TV broadcast of radio brought not so long ago: I think in 2010.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am with the FIA enforcing this. I got very frustrated when Rosberg would ask over the radio for driving help, knowing that the engineer just had to look over at Lewis's data. This is a step closer to putting driving back into the drivers hands and taking it away from the engineers-awesome!

What happens in a situation like Hamilton had at the start of Monza, if there is an software problem with the car are the team allowed to issue instructions on how to fix it?

Edit:

Some answers to the radio questions:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...er-muss-verbrauch-selbst-ablesen-8600105.html

FIA race director Charlie Whiting clarified new radio rules
The announcement by the FIA to stop the tutoring session on radio in the future, has taken care in the fandom for heated discussions. What is allowed, what is not? How are sinners punished? Applies the rule only for the race or for training? We have FIA race director Charlie Whiting confronted with the questions and doubts the most frequently asked. Here are his answers.

How are sinners punished?
Whiting: This is at the discretion of the Stewards, but I think it will more likely be a sport penalty as a fine.

The teams are cautioned with a misdemeanor or punished immediately?
Whiting: Assuming our guidelines are clear, I see no reason for a warning.

Applies the rule only for the race or for training sessions?
Whiting: . Entire Event

What happens if the command status to the driver tells the time of the pit stop?
Whiting: This is allowed.

Keep the box to warn the driver that he save fuel is to?
Whiting: That would violate the rule. The operator can see the consumption on the steering wheel. So how do you even in their private car.

Are recommendations for the engine range, the fuel mixture or the charging mode allowed?
Whiting: Absolutely not. This is clearly contrary to Article 20.1.

Can the driver be warned that wear too much brakes or tires?
Whiting: Also this information can be displayed on the steering wheel.

What about the instructions for the driver during the formation lap before the start?
Whiting: The falls like all other information on the operation of the car under Article 20.1. So not allowed.

What's the deal with team orders: to let So to overtake or pass the command?
Whiting: That should be okay.

As the FIA is to information to the driver about the traffic on the track?
Whiting: We have no problem.

Monitor all 22 drivers, or only study the cases that are actually heard in the TV?
Whiting: We listen to the entire conversation and draw them on.

And of course sniffs take on the news...

http://sniffpetrol.com/2014/09/11/f1-teams-react-to-fia-radio-ruling/

Last edited:
Some teams are a little unhappy about relying more on telemetry being relayed direct to driver because they opted not to go for large displays on their steering wheels! Williams and RBR are two such teams. Looks like they'll have to buy some new steering wheels...

Also how's this for a scenario? Last race of the season, driver wins championship only for protest lodged after the race regarding illegal radio instructions. You just know this could happen don't you!

WTF is the difference between telling it the driver on the radio, or telling him through the screen on his steering wheel. In both cases you're giving him the same information, just through other means.

According to the article above the expected punishment will be fines for any infringements, I'm pretty sure any team would risk a fine in the last race if a strategy call means they can win a title.

Back
Top Bottom