Is the Radio Complaint Becoming F1's Version of Diving?

So the problem is not that it can't be done just that the existing technology requires a computer controlled system? Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we go back to cars like the Flintstone's used but there has to be a happier medium between the excesses of the cars today and the amount of input the driver could or should be making.

I thought people wanted drivers to be more human instead of robots? Isn't complaining and getting emotional, you know, human?

And then what if there's something wrong with the car that the driver is unaware of? You know, something that coud potentially be dangerous?
I don't think anything more sophisticated than the black flags and pitboard are necessary. I would be intrigued to know of the circumstances under which a driver or spectator was saved from injury through the use of pit to car radio.

I HATE diving in football cause its blatant out and out cheating.... so on that basis having a whinge on radio is not its equal since you (the whinger) have not done anything (i.e. the diving) and the other chap (the whingee?) may or may not have done something but at least the race stewards have loads of TV replays and data etc to review to see if he did actually "trip you up".....

Nevertheless it winds me up so I'd not miss it if the TV stopped broadcasting it. However pit to car and back radio should be retained - let them talk, discuss tactics and the price of fish - I don't care.

BUT to follow some of the other comments just a little off topic... I'd support manual gear-changes and a manual clutch.

Ya there is a big difference between whining and diving. I think radio whining is much closer to players begging the refs to call fouls in a verbal manner rather than by acting.

I like the idea of reducing the influence of computers and increasing the influence of the drivers. I don't cheer for a guy named Mac or PC, I cheer for Lewis Hamilton. Put warning lights on the dash for the important bits and leave the rest for the drivers to sort out.

So at what point does a 'Nico* is faster than you' become giving instructions? (* insert preferred driver)
Nice gesture but the teams will just find codes to get around it.
That's the trouble with this sport...too many very bright people.
Surely Article 20.1 "the driver must driver the car alone and unaided" is an impossibility in this day & age unless you take away all the electronics & go back to manual stick shift and normal clutch.
Sounds like a lot of pacifying noise that will come to nothing...again.

If diving/flopping is done in soccer to draw a penalty, then radio complaints are certainly not the equivalent in F1. Rarely is a radio transmission the impetus behind a stewards decision. In fact it seems the Stewards are more likely to issue a verbal warning if a complaint is lodged over the radio.

In Monza we never heard a peep from Bottas, and not a single commentator on the 3 broadcasts I've seen thought Magnussen was in any danger of picking up a penalty, yet there it was.

On a somewhat similar note, I've seen the theory advanced since the World Cup that part of the reason the US gets so completely dominated in international play is because they are simply awful at diving/flopping. Even the best teams in the world draw multiple fouls with expert acting skills. American players have a tendency to keep playing and eschew the theatrics.

One thing that surprised me when Hamilton was chasing down Rosberg was the difference in gear selection for the first chicane; Hamilton was always taking it in third, whilst Rosberg was always taking it in second.

I was also surprised the engineers didn't come on the radio (or at least weren't broadcast on the radio) telling Nico this!

In the NBA they had to resort to assessing the defender a foul if the referee suspected he was embellishing at all.

And at the risk of ruffling a few feathers, it was undoubtedly the increased international flavor of the NBA that led to the rise of "flopping". Not exactly a new phenomenon in football/futbol is it?

The NBA also introduced a fine for flopping, but the NBA isn't a fair league and the stars never got hit with fouls or fines. The league made an absolute ridicule of that rule in the Eastern Conference Finals Pacers vs. Heat series, in which the Heat flopped like crazy and after the games the league would announce flopping fines for Pacers players who may have flopped once.

I'm kind of biased about this, but its still true. I probably over exaggerated though.

Being told how to drive the car will be banned from Singapore onwards.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-keine-fahrhilfe-mehr-ueber-funk-8593497.html

Will try find an English link but google translate gives you an idea..

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115776
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-to-ban-radio-instructions-to-drivers/
It's never gonna work, they have to ban pit-to-car radio to enforce this. Otherwise the teams will find other ways to get the message across.

Even the suggestion "lif and coast to save fuel" could be regarded as a driving instruction.

Back
Top Bottom