Is overtaking overrated?

Is overtaking overrated?

• Total voters
Well it shouldn't matter anyway. Its exactly the same as heading into a corner holding your arm/knee/finger or whatever over the duct to stall it last year. Its only a minor reduction in downforce, not turning it off, so you might understeer into the gravel, maybe even clip a barrier on a tight track and end your race, but its not going to fire the car off into the air and explode over the crowd if that's a massive over exaggeration of what you mean...

One thing it could generate, that has already been pointed towards in another thread is a lot of minor shunts with differing closing speeds etc, or in other words..... Bumper Cars LOL

..oh' that AND a fresh batch of driver excuses :snigger: 'my KERS button this' 'my wing button that'

I don't like the moveable wing idea either. But can anyone tell me how it will actually be timed.I know that the the Race control will flash a signal to to the following driver that he can activate his wing.
I like most of you I suspect have live timing running during the race.I have seen cars closing on cars in front and in some instances passing them which is not shown on the live timing.The position change is only shown after they pass the next timing point.I am curious as to how this will work.Proximity sensors won't work due to time and distance plus speed differentials.
One other thought as this system works on all cars irrespective of position, the leader can find a handy back marker he is due to lap, simply tuck in behind him to be in the postion to activate his wing.
Without the wing he would pass him in the usual method.One less real overtaking manoeuvre

I rather have any form of passing (between close cars in non wet conditions) then no passing at all (like now).

There's never been much "real" passing in "the so called purist" term of the word in GP racing or any form racing in particular.

Most passing always meant drafting/ slipstreaming, (temporary) tire superiority, the faster car passing the slower one, equivalence passing (variations in braking vs. acceleration vs. top speed) or the elite driver Fangio/"insert-name-here" easily passing shitty pay-driver no. xyz driving the "insert-name-here" shitbox.

And perfectly fine by me, even the great Fangio said it racing means 75% car and mechanics (meaning team today) and 25% driver and luck.

F1 need to return to roots get aways from boredom.

F1 racecars need to use computer control wings and winglets front and rear with active suspensions controlled Ground Effects and active 4 wheel drive for overtaking to properly improve.

Till then it will be just wishful thinking.

sportsman said:
I like most of you I suspect have live timing running during the race.I have seen cars closing on cars in front and in some instances passing them which is not shown on the live timing.The position change is only shown after they pass the next timing point.I am curious as to how this will work.Proximity sensors won't work due to time and distance plus speed differentials.

The BBC here run a TV feed that shows the exact on track positions of each car, which I presume comes from GPS telemetry. On that basis, I'm assuming that a more accurate position indicator is available than just live timing screens.

sportsman said:
Thanks FJ.I don't get that on RTL.Only FOM's live timing.

You'd be able to get it if you could find a UK open proxy and then go to the BBC's website, it's streamed from there.

I know FJ.I tried that.But look where I live.Hackers paradise.Everytime I tried to use it I had big red warning from my interet security programme AVG 2011 "threat detected" and the firewall promptly blocked the stream.

sportsman said:
I know FJ.I tried that.But look where I live.Hackers paradise.Everytime I tried to use it I had big red warning from my interet security programme AVG 2011 "threat detected" and the firewall promptly blocked the stream.
Yeah, finding a proxy without trojans or viruses is a real pain, there are a few out there.. Alternitively, if you have friends in the UK, you could ask them if you could piggy back onto their connection. They would have to open a tunnel for you to do so though, so would at least need some knowledge of how to do this securely..

I voted that it's overrated but only in that I think too much emphasis is being placed on it. Of course we need overtaking but I'd rather have a few exceptional moves than a lot of mediocre ones. Overtaking shouldn't be easy, it should be skilful and I hope that the casual masses won't be catered for.
I don't know if anyone else agrees but the rules are so tight around when you can and can't overtake/defend driving tends to be more gentlemanly nowadays.

I voted that it's overrated but only in that I think too much emphasis is being placed on it. Of course we need overtaking but I'd rather have a few exceptional moves than a lot of mediocre ones. Overtaking shouldn't be easy, it should be skilful and I hope that the casual masses won't be catered for.
I don't know if anyone else agrees but the rules are so tight around when you can and can't overtake/defend driving tends to be more gentlemanly nowadays.

And I stick by this!

The one good thing about the days when F1 was dangerous was that you ddin't get people "chopping" because it's not just the race it could end, they could get each other killed if they were foolish on track.

Overtaking is not overrated because overtaking, IMHO, is the ONLY form of racing.

But not all overtakings are racing. Those mickey-mouse DRS and KERS don't count.

Back
Top Bottom