Inconsistent stewarding is still an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.........& Monaco can be boring, but
Schumie overtook LH........no contact
Lewis took the place back from MS......no contact.
Felipe defended his position...contact with LH
Maldanado defended his position by turning in....a car length early...contact with LH
On both occasions LH was racing, not sitting in a procession.
'Lukin after mi points'...

....... quote from Felipe, at Spa 2008. ......not trying to gain position...just hoping to hang on to third.....Kimi went into the wall...so he was gifted second. That wasn't good enough for Ferrari....Post race he was promoted to first, and the win was taken from LH.....Who showed what a master he is in changing conditions.

No, you are wrong.

I am not sure about having different driver stewards each race

Take A McNish the other-day, he has been thrust into the alien fray, how objective is he going to be?

Better to have several ex F1 drivers as a permanent council

Can we expect a Mansell to exclude personal bias from important decisions?

Sigh...

Another thread hijacked by the Hamilton crew :rolleyes:

In what way is it a hikack? A thread about inconsistent stewarding in Monaco is perfectly relevent to Hamilton who has often been controversial situations with stewards including this year at Monaco. Also rather than deriding remarks labelling members one thing or another, why not point out where you think they've left the subject at hand and try to get things back to what it is in particular you want this thread to be about?

Personally I've never been a fan of the stewards (you should see some of my Muzz rants!) and this sums up alot of what it is I don't like.

Too much effort on racing incidents and not enough on actual safety concerns.

I am not sure about having different driver stewards each race

Take A McNish the other-day, he has been thrust into the alien fray, how objective is he going to be?

Better to have several ex F1 drivers as a permanent council

Can we expect a Mansell to exclude personal bias from important decisions?

What exactly is your problem with Allan? He's got no connections with any current teams or drivers, as far as I can tell, and a damn sight more contemporary racing experience than the likes of Fittipaldi, Prost or indeed Mansell.

What exactly is your problem with Allan? He's got no connections with any current teams or drivers, as far as I can tell, and a damn sight more contemporary racing experience than the likes of Fittipaldi, Prost or indeed Mansell.

No problem with him personally, just that it might be better to have permanent stewards as recent F1 drivers who know the characters and the situations instead of drivers from sports cars etc where considerations might be slightly different

Yes racing is racing but its hard to have consistent stewarding when the stewards have different attitudes to things

Too much effort on racing incidents and not enough on actual safety concerns.

Once the track has been homolgated for use as an F1 venue there shouldn't be "safety concerns" at the track per se, apart from incidents as a result of racing. I really don't see how you can differentiate between racing incidents and safety, the stewards have to look at what happens on the track and decide is there is a potentially a safety problem or if the driver transgressed the rules.

Allan is a recent F1 driver. How recent do you want? Bruno Senna or Romain Grosjean would be worse choices.

3 years would be ideal, however 5 years might be more practical

So get a few ex drivers with contemporary knowledge of actual driving conditions, Give them a contract to steward for a year or 2.
The same guys each race, they have to agree collectively, like a jury

Bingo much less farcical decisions and random ridiculous outcomes

You cannot think that its better to rotate the driver steward every race and have drivers who haven't driven in F1 for 10 years and have since become more accustomed to a different racing environment

So get a few ex drivers with contemporary knowledge of actual driving conditions, Give them a contract to steward for a year or 2.

You cannot think that its better to rotate the driver steward every race and have drivers who haven't driven in F1 for 10 years and have since become more accustomed to a different racing environment

I can and I do. Having the same stewards all the time risks allegations of bias and makes them vulnerable to influence or, at the worst, bribery. Far better to have random ridiculous outcomes than systematic ridiculous outcomes.

The FIA's permanent stewards have a lot more experience of making judgements on racing incidents in all forms of motorsport than any ex-driver does. Most of the rules relating to driver conduct are not specific to F1 and apply across the board.

My feeling is that the current system, while not perfect, is about as good as it can be, and certainly better than it was in the Mosley years.

They have no power as individuals. They are used as an expert witness.

A driver of recent may well have influences inside certain teams, so i think thats a pretty bad idea. Coulthard, Villeneuve etc

Or you're gonna get the same farcical outcome each time instead of only a few times. To be honest I can't really think of a driver who stopped 5 years ago and is not affiliated to a team in any way? Unless you want to get rookies on the stewarding board!

Theres an idea, a panel of driver stewards drawn from the support race series

Sounds odd but these drivers will have driven on the circuit the day before and will be completely in the zone to fairly judge whats aceeptable. You could have the same panel every race over the season. Maybe to avoid team biases, each F1 team could nominate a driver. 12 drivers having to agree on penalties etc

Probably too complicated to implement

12 drivers having to agree on penalties etc

Eeek!

12_angry_men.jpg

Once the track has been homolgated for use as an F1 venue there shouldn't be "safety concerns" at the track per se, apart from incidents as a result of racing. I really don't see how you can differentiate between racing incidents and safety, the stewards have to look at what happens on the track and decide is there is a potentially a safety problem or if the driver transgressed the rules.

Personally I don't see how Schumacher's overtake on Alonso endangered anyone (anymore than a 100% legal overtake) or how the Hamilton/Raikkonen incident at Spa was dangerous. A steering wheel being thrown onto the track is very different. There has been at least one tragic example over the past few years showing drivers aren't safe from flying objects striking them.

Personally I don't see how Schumacher's overtake on Alonso endangered anyone (anymore than a 100% legal overtake) or how the Hamilton/Raikkonen incident at Spa was dangerous.

They weren't dangerous but, in the opinion of the stewards, they broke the rules and that's what the stewards are there to enforce - much like a football referee or cricket umpire.

Sure, I'd just prefer to see safety concerns take precident over racing incidents that, in all honesy could be left alone without much fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom