"I Don't Believe It!"

I thought it was funny that Button hinted that he had driven slowly at the start to conserve fuel

Maybe F1 can become a competition to see who can drive at 56 mph for the longest period. Then we could all find out who the most careful and smooth drivers are

It could be argued that this would be more relevant for manufacturers and the public in this day and age

Having an old lady passenger in the back with her shopping could also be interesting

Even if McLaren gambled all on that, Hamilton started saving fuel at the last third of the race, that must mean he was seriously under-fuelled.

Gary Paffet was saying they didn't do any long runs in Friday Practice, but looked at last years fuel consumption etc. Maybe they forgot the fact when looking at the 2010 data, that they have KERS and DRS which takes up more fuel.

...and here's a couple more of those
Piq8719.jpeg
1970-belgium-11.jpg

Attachments

• 1970-belgium-11.jpg
    1970-belgium-11.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Piq8719.jpeg
    Piq8719.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 85
What am I missing here? :s
The highest ever number of on track overtakes since records began :s

You need to look at the data again.
2010 was significantly higher than 2009
2011 is significantly higher than 2010

There are very few passes in the pits compared to the previous 15 years or so.

http://cliptheapex.com/pages/formula-one-overtaking/

Overtaking died when refuelling was introduced.

Pit stops were used to jump cars instead of fighting on the track.

Even so, the races where still exciting, many variables which could have affected a race, all the boring races we had in 2010, especially Bahrain would have been better with refuelling.

What is making F1 exciting now? High degrading tyres, just look back at Canada 08 with high degrading tyres, that race was more enjoyable than the all the races this season.

Today Pit Stops for tyres are used to overtake. I watched it on Sunday. I don't see fuel as being any different. What am I missing here? :s

------------------------------------------------

The fact that they are all on similar fuel loads and unlike the refuelling era, race-pace at any stage of a race actually does mean race-pace rather than being light or heavy?

The highest ever number of on track overtakes since records began :s

You need to look at the data again.
2010 was significantly higher than 2009
2011 is significantly higher than 2011

2011 is significantly higher than 2011???

I think you are forgetting that in 2010 we had a fair few more wet races compared to 2009....

Time.Pit stops today are are around 4 seconds.Refuelling pit stops were around ten to eleven seconds depending on the amout fuel taken on.

This is an excellent point. You can still overtake through the pits (DC's precious under-cut), but the work has to be done by the driver on track. Pushing like hell on your out-lap is quite risky, but the reward can be huge.

2011 is significantly higher than 2011???
Edited.

I think you are forgetting that in 2010 we had a fair few more wet races compared to 2009....
I haven't forgotten anything, there is a dry race data-set.
2009 - total dry passes (15 races) : 156
2010 - total dry passes (15 races) : 320
2011 - total dry passes (7 races) : 460

The point still stands.

This is an excellent point. You can still overtake through the pits (DC's precious under-cut), but the work has to be done by the driver on track. Pushing like hell on your out-lap is quite risky, but the reward can be huge.

You can do the same with fuel, under-cut or over-cut, we saw Schumacher do that many times, 3 stop strategy against a faster 2 stopping McLaren's. The reward can be huge as you have all to lose for...

With the undercut today, if you don't get him the first time, you can get him the second time, if not then, then the third time.

Only difference now, is that, more drivers are "under-cutting" rather than "over-cutting" (that isn't a word is it?).

I'm out.
Edited.

I haven't forgotten anything, there is a dry race data-set.
2009 - total dry passes (15 races) : 156
2010 - total dry passes (15 races) : 320
2011 - total dry passes (7 races) : 460

The point still stands.

Think it's unfair to add 2011 to that list, that isn't the ban on refuelling that's coming into play there, it's the high wearing tyres, DRS and KERS...if refuelling had all that, it would pretty much be on par.

Back
Top Bottom