Is it time to go back to basics

Dartman

Pole Sitter
F1 has been ruined over the years with the advent of aero, for at least the last three decades, OK it started in the 70's but into the 80's there were many attempts to get one over the rivals, but the FIA rightly or wrongly banned various innovations only for aero to be the unchallenged result. Millions are now spent to gain less than a tenth of a second, so is it time for a rethink, it is said or was that F1 develop road cars, but we are never going to see the plethora of wings and winglets on a road car, engines and gearboxes, yes.
Do you think it is time to revert to basics, an engine and fuel formula, I.E max CC and choice of boost with a maximum of fossil fuel power limited to 50% of overall power, with single plane aero on front and rear wings with a fixed ground clearance, this will revert to driver skill reduce cost. this will bring back driver skill, improve sustainable power units that will become the future in a road car.
They say a war increases development of science, so will an open competition bring a leap forward in power unit design providing it is not stifled by over regulation, the present regulations help nothing for anything except kudos for a few companies having a huge marketing budget to promote their wares

You missed a trick, scrap wings and go back to mechanical grip.

Generally I agree in principle but the genie is out of the bottle.

i would like to see a move to synthetic fuels, less batteries & get the weight down to 600kg like it was just at the start of Hamilton career, because these cars are too heavy now. we are going the right way with ground effect downforce to kerb dirty air issue, but i would like less downforce on the wings

i would like to see a move to synthetic fuels, less batteries & get the weight down to 600kg like it was just at the start of Hamilton career, because these cars are too heavy now. we are going the right way with ground effect downforce to kerb dirty air issue, but i would like less downforce on the wings
Oh how about hydrogen fuels, created by electrolysis of water via solar, or wind power, at the circuit. Synthetic (or even fuels made from extracting CO2 into the atmosphere always have the same problem, in that they still release CO2)...

If F1 wants to be genuinely clean, it needs to:
1. Extract CO2 from the atmosphere to counteract the footprint from the freight journeys.
2. Move to a fuel that doesn't have any CO2 footprint for racing

The Artist..... i like hydrogen, i remember watching top gear with james may feature in 2009/2010. im amazed it hasnt taken off before now. as it is magic bullet. no recharging, no weight or national grid issues. as thats the issues with a batteries its well known that in the uk the national grid have to prepare in case a major england game goes to penalties to so the system doesnt crash when everyone puts the kettle on. so how is it going to cope when everyone is charging their car overnight

Synethic fuels is a great stepping stone its better than we have now, at least we arent making the problem any worse. that can only be a good thing. until hydrogen is available

It may be possible to produce hydrogen by solar or wind power and store it for the next GP but it takes a lot of energy so therefore it may take considerable time on available green power capability. the amount of hydrogen produced would depend on the country the GP is held in, northern European country's will have difficulties with solar, unfortunately the only reliable way to produce hydrogen in quantity and reliably is a nuclear power station. I don't know the figures but to produce oxygen for a crew of about 160 on a two month patrol on a nuclear submarine, wouldn't produce enough hydrogen to drive 50 miles, about 1.5 cu3m at atmospheric pressure.

Thing in today's paper (Guardian I think) that hydrogen buses are 2 1/2 times more expensive to operate than battery buses.

A lot of that is because of the huge amount of electricity required to make hydrogen.

Then there are the arguments about electric heat pumps v hydrogen gas boilers. Basically every research paper puts hydrogen as massively more expensive to use because of the costs of production.

Like it or not, electric is the future for transport and racing.

Back
Top Bottom