How many stops in Canada?

How many stops will the winner in Canada make?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hell everbody expected tyres to wear soo fast before Monaco, but yet it looked like the winner might of won with only 1 stop. Hence we will never know because of the Red Flag (WTF was going on there, Petriov?) It could easily be one 1 or 5 i think and anywhere inbetween.

I think the mean over the season is about 3 right. So if i add a little mathematics to it 3 stops will mean that roughly 23/24 (two stints of 23 one stint of 24 laps) if it was split evenly take into consideration of the wear rate of the Prime and Option, Then 3 looks like the most obivous. If the Option (Soft) lasts just 12 laps then two stinits on the Prime (Hard) Could be possible with 29 laps needed to be run on both tyres, If theres a big performance differnce between Prime and Option, then it could possibly be four stinits, also if the Hard tyres do not strech to far. Even with the unusual amount of wear at Canada 5 stops looks a little OTT. that would be about 14 laps per stop. It would take some huge wear rates on the tyres for the tyres to stuggle with that, even if being cautious on them So it looks like 3/4 stops is most likely.

Therefore obiviuosly im putting a tenner on down the betting shops on there being 7 stops! :)

Ray - I really don't want to wind you up, but you asked...

Where did I say that? Show me a post of mine that says Alonso was on Super-Softs before the red flag came out?

Here are quotes from two...

Alonso was also using up his tyres...and they were softer than Vettel's...and would have been degrading at a higher rate than Vettel's harder compound..

Alonso actually did three stints (before the Red Flag).

He boxed twice (before the race was suspended).

Alonso stops were:

Lap 17 (he changed to Softs - the slower tyre, to get them out of the way)

Lap 34 (he changed to Super-Softs - the faster tyre; known to go at least 40 laps, even more on lessening fuel loads)

So, he was closing in on Vettel during his third stint...on the faster Super-Softs.

They then all changed on the Red Flag Grid.

Cheers.

Sorry mate. I saw that when you first wrote it last week and decided to let it go at the time, although the difference was important. I didn't feel that I could this time.

My instinct says 3 stops in Canada, but the various arguments put forward for 2 stops have made very entertaining reading this morning, even if the points were a little laboured towards the end.LOL

Of course, the strategists will be on alert to make adjustments based, not least, on how often Lewis crashes into other cars.:whistle:

I've stuck my neck on the line here and think that the majority off the runners in Canada will only stop twice weather permitting.

But TBH i reckon 3 stops could be correct but went with 2 stopper.

Short pitlane + risk of Safety car + strong possibility of lots of overtaking = 4+ stops

I think the winner is going to take 3 stops. I think 2 stops might be the next best choice (unless there are any 1 stoppers to wreck their party). Four and five stops means too few laps on the option tyres (two or three stints on primes...), which wont degrade quickly enough (8-9 laps) to make that necessary.

Why do I say this...? I built a spreadsheet and guessed at some variables for Canada...

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/pitstop-spreadsheet.2893/

What is it they say about assumptions...?:thinking:

According to James Allen on the strategy site above, the difference between Supersoft and Soft at Montreal is only 0.5s (I don't know how its dropped from the 1.5s), which would push things towards fewer stops, using the 'Soft' as the optimal race tyre.
But then I thought this would be the case in Monaco and it didn't really work that way.

What's truly amusing is that, having looked at the poll, there are 2 voters who said 6-stops-or-more! ROFL

6 stops implies 7 sets of tyres! ROFL!!! :snigger:

5 stops implies using ALL 6 sets like some did in Spain.

If the time differential is only 0.5 seconds, then that plays into my 2-Stop scenario. Every extra stop increases the possiblility of time lost due to pit crew/driver error in the box and having to over-take...and as Alonso illustrated last year when he got out-gunned by Hamilton and then Button, over-taking people in Montreal is not a no-brainer.

You mean like Donnington in 1993? I think Prost had 7 pitstops, possibly one too many. Senna stopped 6 times, right?

So, I suppose in an outrageous scenario, they could have 6 stops if you take into account Inters, Full Wets, Softs and Super-Softs.

Just so that I know what the colours are when i'm at the cicuit, what colour is the P Zero Inters...and what colour is the Full Wet?

http://www.attwilliams.com/news/view/1822 RACE
Number of Laps: 70
Lap Distance: 4.361km
Race Distance: 305km
Circuit Direction: Clockwise

FUEL
Fuel Consumption:
2.3kg / lap
Fuel Laptime Penalty: 0.2s / 10kg

CIRCUIT
Top Speed: 318kph
Average Speed: 205kph
Average Corner Speed: 106kph
Longest Straight: 1010 metres

WEATHER
Air Temperature: 27C
Track Temperature: 40C
Air Pressure: 1014 mbar
Humidity: 52%
Altitude: 10 metres above sea level

TYRES
Prime Tyre (spec / colour): Soft / Yellow
Option Tyre (spec / colour): Super Soft / Red

STRATEGY
Safety Cars: 1.5 average per race
Pit Loss: 16 seconds
Pitlane Length: 400 metres

ENGINE

Power Loss: 5%
Full Throttle: 59% of lap

AERO
Downforce Level:
Medium (Low to Maximum)
Cooling Requirement: Medium (Low to High)

CHASSIS
Set-up Priority:
Braking Stability
Brake Severity: Very High (Low to Very High)

Back
Top Bottom