How do we deal with driver names?

How do we deal with driver names?

• Allow all names no matter how offensive; e.g. Loony, Shamilton, Banana Face

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Brogan said:
Threads are only ever moderated if they breach the rules and the reason is always given so I don't think anyone is ever left in the dark as to why action was taken or the issue is being dealt with behind closed doors :dunno:

That was in regard to the point about the Autosport BB. I realise reasons are posted on CTA.

Brogan said:
Threads are only ever moderated if they breach the rules and the reason is always given on the thread so I don't think anyone is ever left in the dark as to why action was taken or the issue is being dealt with behind closed doors :dunno:

Absolutely, I always give a reason for any edits I make. If the poster wants to query it, then the option to send me a PM is there.

Sorry Enja, I thought you meant the same policy was in effect here.

Yes, I can imagine that approach is extremely annoying as it benefits no-one and results in repeat instances as everyone is none the wiser.

So, are we any closer to resolving this driver name issue? :D

So using Shoemaker is OK? Cobbler could be inferred from that, but then that's maybe just the way my mind works..

How about Nando? Are people saying he's a bit like a chicken?

It all comes down to interpretation in the end. I personally don't see much difference between Nando and Loony, but then that's maybe just me. What if someone writes the following sentence? "Off the Button"? Is that any different to using a nickname? Is it covered under the forum rules?

cider_and_toast said:
I'd just like to remind everyone that you never can tell who is reading this board and just how much trouble what you write could get you in if you are not careful.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=715&start=10

This was a post started by a member which was pretty inflammatory towards former England Rugby international and journalist Brian Moore. The member bcm666 is actually Brian Moore (confirmed and verified) responding to that post and lets make no bones about it, he's was pretty un-happy. Some of the more inflammatory comments such as, if I remember correctly, Mr Moore was described as an idiot in one of the earlier posts, were edited out.
I actually saw this thread and thought Brian should have a thicker skin. If he feels the need to get offended by something written due to his journalism, he has moved to the wrong profession. I would expect an rugby player to have thicker skin, let alone a journalist.

You'll notice I only posted once on that thread as I kind of agreed with what Brian was saying, even though not the way it was said.

The point is, that thread had nothing to do with nicknames. Nicknames are something everyone uses and i'm sure we all have at least one, so why get offended by them?

Enja said:
Sorry but who the hell is 'Banana Face' :unsure:
That was a term recently used for Schumacher in a post.

You can see why I would be extremely reluctant to allow any and all terms, especially insulting ones such as that.

I hope everyone can see we're not doing this to be deliberately difficult?
We're just trying to reach a happy medium which allows people to post freely without offending others.

Brogan said:
I hope everyone can see we're not doing this to be deliberately difficult?
We're just trying to reach a happy medium which allows people to post freely without offending others.

No worries Brogan, I don't see you as being facetious on this one, it's all good :thumbsup:

Bullfrog said:
He has a curvy, concave face, it seemed the natural thing to use.

Suffice to say he's not the first person I though of, it was actually Kubica.

The point is, that thread had nothing to do with nicknames. Nicknames are something everyone uses and i'm sure we all have at least one, so why get offended by them?

I was making the point that you never know who is reading the words that you've written.

So using Shoemaker is OK? Cobbler could be inferred from that, but then that's maybe just the way my mind works..

It all comes down to interpretation in the end. I personally don't see much difference between Nando and Loony, but then that's maybe just me. What if someone writes the following sentence? "Off the Button"? Is that any different to using a nickname? Is it covered under the forum rules?

As for your other comments Rick, You yourself posted an article entitled "On the Button" last April and there wasn't an issue with that then so why should there be now?

There has to be a line and I'm sure you must accept that. We aren't going to play a word association game with every single name posted but its down to the common sense of the poster. Take a name like Robert for example, that could be posted as Rob, Robbie, Bob, Bert, Bertie or Robert. This is the case in which we abbreviate Fernando to Nando. To infer any other interpretation to that suggests a poster is deliberately looking to find offence when none is intended.

Here's the dictionary definition of Loony

–adjective
1. lunatic; insane.
2. extremely or senselessly foolish.

I'm sorry but could you explain how calling a driver that is the same as shortening his name by 3 letters??

For some people 'insane' can be a great word.

"Wow, did you see that move!? That was insane!"

- Doesn't mean they're loony though.

It's difficult, very very difficult.

RickD said:
As has been mentioned, Shoemaker is an Anglicised version of Schumacher, just as Johnson is of Johansen.
I can't see how this could be seen as being insulting but I'm willing to be told differently.
In all my years I have never seen anyone associate cobbler with Schumacher/Shoemaker in this context.

Nando is a contraction of (Fer)nando, surely you knew that?
Again, I have never seen the nickname Nando, which incidentally is usually used by his most ardent fans, associated with chicken.

It all comes down to interpretation in the end. I personally don't see much difference between Nando and Loony, but then that's maybe just me.
Loony is a derivative of lunatic and can only be meant in a derogatory way.
Nando as explained above is a contraction of the driver's real name.
I really am struggling to see how you can compare the two :s

What if someone writes the following sentence? "Off the Button"? Is that any different to using a nickname? Is it covered under the forum rules?
It doesn't need to be covered under the rules.
You're using the driver's name in a sentence, in the same way as you would with "Push the Button".
Again I am struggling to see why you would think that would be an issue?
That is standard practice when writing headlines or articles, it is just word play.

Enja said:
For some people 'insane' can be a great word.

"Wow, did you see that move!? That was insane!"

- Doesn't mean they're loony though.

It's difficult, very very difficult.

Enja, I'm sorry but I'm fed up arguing semantics. You must be aware that that is not how the term Loony is being used.

Rather than get into specifics, I would like to try and reach a consensus as all we seem to be doing is going round in circles.

I've put a poll on the thread so let's see how the votes turn out for what are in reality the only 3 options.

Brogan said:
Nando is a contraction of (Fer)nando, surely you knew that?
Again, I have never seen the nickname Nando, which incidentally is usually used by his most ardent fans, associated with chicken.
Sorry, don't mean to be pedantic, but have you never been to a Nando's?

I am quite happy to use the term and I smile to myself every time I see it written.. :D

cider_and_toast said:
As for your other comments Rick, You yourself posted an article entitled "On the Button" last April and there wasn't an issue with that then so why should there be now?
On the Button and Off are two entirely different meanings, one is written to suggest he is, as it were, "On the Button", the other is used in an offensive manner, so your explanation does not make sense?!?

I accept there needs to be a line, but it seems rather faded and worn out from where I am standing. It also seems to be favouring certain drivers due to the audience you want to attract, such as Nando (see what I did there.. ;)).

RickD said:
cider_and_toast said:
On the Button and Off are two entirely different meanings, one is written to suggest he is, as it were, "On the Button", the other is used in an offensive manner, so your explanation does not make sense?!?
OK, now I'm really confused.
Can you explain why "Off the Button" is offensive? :s

It also seems to be favouring certain drivers due to the audience you want to attract, such as Nando (see what I did there.. ;)).
Now that I do take offence to.
Nothing could be further from the truth and my comments all along have made that abundantly clear, not to mention the rules which apply equally to all drivers, teams, etc.
Please provide evidence as to why you think we are trying to attract a certain audience and who this audience is?

Hi guys, for my two cents, I think it is unrealistic to use the swear filter to ban specific nick names. Nicknames are one things, and I believe should be allowed, people use them both as a means of shortening a drivers name and showing affection to a certain degree.

It differs slightly with names such as Shamilton etc. which could be considered defamatory, but I don't think there is anyway to go about banning them.

I'd advocate the use of nicknames, and for users to use their own common sense into what is acceptable or not. If a certain user does not like a certain post, then they should PM one of the mods, who will then be able to edit accordingly. I think the bunch that you have got moderating the site Brogan, are a competent and intelligent lot and should be able to make a decision without offending too many people :D

Repeat offenders? Bye Bye.

Could I just add that for the record, Wet Towel is a genius nickname, and is so vague that it could not possibly be considered as defamatory content. I think we need to keep some humour :D

Brogan said:
OK, now I'm really confused.
Can you explain why "Off the Button" is offensive? :s
It is intended to be derogatory due to the coined phrase 'On the Button', I think that is one of the more obvious inflammatory comments on forums in relation to Button..

Brogan said:
It also seems to be favouring certain drivers due to the audience you want to attract, such as Nando (see what I did there.. ;)).

Now that I do take offence to.
Nothing could be further from the truth and my comments all along have made that abundantly clear, not to mention the rules which apply equally to all drivers, teams, etc.
Please provide evidence as to why you think we are trying to attract a certain audience and who this audience is?
I thought you meant Nanado at first, then saw what you meant, I'm not going to post your PM on the Forum, but the thing that was said about Alonso fans not feeling wanted..

MajorDanby said:
Could I just add that for the record, Wet Towel is a genius nickname, and is so vague that it could not possibly be considered as defamatory content. I think we need to keep some humour :D
I'm trying to keep some humour with the Loony thing, which I think is genius, especially with the way he is acting this year, so good luck to you dear sir..

Below the belt Rick and totally uncalled for.
You have taken my private comments completely out of context.

Still waiting to hear why a title such as "Off the Button" is derogatory if it's in relation to a driver's performance.
You do understand the difference between comment/opinion and insult don't you?

So far you seem to be the only person pushing for being allowed to insult drivers, particularly Alonso which you have done several times.

You know what, I sometimes wonder why I bother

Back
Top Bottom