Horner Defends & Explains RBR's Team Orders During The British Grand Prix

I have watched the race a fair few times, and yes they may have needed to save fuel, but not by much, Hamilton yes as he was constantly harrying the Red Bull's and keeping them honest, while Button was pacing himself like he normally does.

If it was obvious, then Webber after his pitstop repairs would have closed in "at a rate of knots" (another Brundle quote), which he didn't do so.

Why are we still talking about this? THis thread is about the team order RBR applied at the 2011 British GP.

We don't need a big chat about it and enough has been said but how do you know if coffee is good or bad if it's the only coffee you've ever had? It is perfectly reasonable to draw parallels and make comparisons. What this weekend raises again is the question of when team orders are reasonable and when they are not. So we look to recent times and we evaluate situations against each other. Examining incidents in complete isolation can lead to some very skewed conclusions.

Why are we still talking about this? THis thread is about the team order RBR applied at the 2011 British GP.

I find it relevant, although I have taken it a off-topic - which I do apologise for- my point is that other teams have used team orders at that stage of a grand prix, and that I find the criticism towards Red Bull on this matter rather harsh, it's not as if they did a Ferrari in Hockenheim 2010.

Can I just say hats of to Mr Webber for completely ignoring the order? went up on my estimation with that one. Lets hope its got him so angry that he's woke up and stops walking round the paddock like a beaten man all the time.

I cant help thinking that it cannot all be a big coincidence that Webber is suddenly as close to Seb as he was the most of last year.

Won't get into this one again as we had that (rather heated) debate before but you should take into account that Silverstone, just like Barcelona is one of the tracks that even Vettel admits Webber is usually quicker than him round so that could explain why he was closer than usual and got the pole - Just like in Spain

Another reason why Vettel lost time to both Alonso and Webber in the final stint is because he didn't optimize his wing angle adjustment at the pit stop following the his third stint (the stint where he was stuck behind Hamilton). He told AUTO MOTOR und SPORT that changing wing angle during pitstops can be "useful at Silverstone"...but that he didn't get a "feel" for how much to go on the adjustment because he was stuck behind Hamilton on that stint, which also happened to be the "first dry stint" of the race. Given the change in road conditions from the previous stint and given the fact that he was directly behind Hamilton on the 'first dry' stint, his 'feeling' wasn't quite up to what it might have been...and so the wing adjustment wasn't perfect in retrospect. That is one main reason why Alonso pulled away and Webber closed in. It wasn't as if Vettel suddenly forgot how to drive quickly.

Anyway, futher confirmation from Vettel on his mindset, on his view of a resurgent Ferrari and on why he simply wasn't going to let Webber have his 3 extra points:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula_one/14122264.stm

I was gonna put "like this" at Irish's comment but as it ends with "puke" I thought it would have made me look as though I've got some very unappealing eating habits.

Horner was one of Ferrari's biggest critics last year (yes,I know they are legal this year) he was so outspoken what he came out with at the weekend makes me want to puke.

Puke, eh? Hehe :D

Well, Ferrari did indeed break the rules last year...and they were sent off to a WMSC hearing at the FIA for it. When something's illegal, you're perfectly entitled to speak out against it. Much of the world did. Horner certainly wasn't alone. Cheers, Irish. :)

But where else is there to go?

Webber's got 2 Poles this year. What other team has 2 Poles to their name? McLaren are keeping their drivers and even if Massa goes, could Webber do any better at Ferrari and against Alonso?

Anyone that goes to Ferrari in place of Massa is a no2 pure and simple.
If people can't see that,their nuts.IMHO.

Right. So, as I said, where is Webber going to go? McLaren? :snigger:

Seriously, RBR give him equal equipment, a chance to take Poles and a chance to convert Poles into Wins.

Mercedes won't offer him that opportunity...nor will Williams or Renault or anyone else.

I keep mentioning that Adrian Newey actually likes Mark...and he provides Mark with a potentially winning car regularly.

So it's either RBR with another $10 Million in his pocket...or Australia. ;)

The problem is, he has Barrichello syndrome, he can either be number 2 and pick up podiums with the occasional win at Red Bull, or drop down the field and be the team leader but never challenge the top 8.

Back
Top Bottom