Formula One races are too long

Brogan

Legend
Staff Member
So says Luca di Montezemolo.
There are several articles on the usual sites about di Montezemelo's meeting with Todt and Ecclestone.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102372
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19532651

I somewhat agree with his comments on the cost of running a team and testing time - I think this will be the main stumbling block for new teams trying to break into F1.
I also agree that the timing of races could be better - 1pm (2pm on the continent) is about the worst time it could be if you want to do anything else as it is right in the middle of the day.
Early morning or evening would be much better, allowing people to go out for the day if they wish, either before or after the race.

However, I vehemently disagree with splitting a single 90 minute (ish) race into two races, as they do with GP2.
That for me would ruin F1 for good.

There were a couple of other interesting comments, such as the jibe directed at Red Bull about breaking the RRA.

Agree with moving the races to in the morning/evening and that races shouldn't be split. It would take away from what a Grand Prix is and has always been. It would also screw with statistics more than the 25 point system ever has.

I wish di Montezemolo would just piss off and run the Italian government, what does he actually do other than make (change for the sake of change) comments every few months.

I remember a couple of years ago, when the FOTA were trying to make up their own rules this was touted. I saw it as saliva in the eyes of the fans then and I do now.

We get less than 20 races a year. If F1 is your main sporting interest - which it probably is for many here - then 20 in a year really isn't that many. I've been watching F1 for years and I never think after a race that's half decent, "Oh man I'm glad that's over. I can't stand this F1 stuff..." I know new fans of varying ages and they all have the attention span to pay attention to an F1 race, it's downright condescending to imply otherwise. I agree costs should be lowered, but to do it by purposefully giving the fans less racing to see each year is quite cynical.

It's not young people that want shorter races, it the casual fans. Clearly F1 will never fully appeal to them, unless it changes. However F1 would be less 'Formula 1ish' then as most open wheel races in Europe are considerably shorter than a Grand Prix.

Absurd idea.

In the 50s, the races were 3 hours or so, and much greater distances than today (the added time wasn't because of the difference in speeds). I agree the timing is bad,although here in the U.S., early morning races mean EARLY morning (however, there are usually rebroadcasts later in the day).

I also agree that the timing of races could be better - 1pm (2pm on the continent) is about the worst time it could be if you want to do anything else as it is right in the middle of the day.

This is true for everyone except those lucky ones who actually buy a ticket and watch the race live from the side of the track, with petrol fumes in the nose and deaf ears. If you're travelling to/from another country, the timing is then probably about as convenient as it could be.

So says Luca di Montezemolo.
There are several articles on the usual sites about di Montezemelo's meeting with Todt and Ecclestone.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102372
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19532651
However, I vehemently disagree with splitting a single 90 minute (ish) race into two races, as they do with GP2.
That for me would ruin F1 for good.
Couldn't agree more on this point. Two 45 minute races would kill it for me. I also wish F1 was more mechanical, less aero which most fans could relate to and would make the sport more relevant.

Early morning or evening would be much better, allowing people to go out for the day if they wish, either before or after the race.

They need to fit in other time-zones for other continents too, it's the best compromise.

Back
Top Bottom