Fernando in Turkey

MrBigBoss

Banned
Various sources have reported that Ferrari are bringing a lot of updates to Turkey - this includes a flexible front wing, changes to the rear suspension, a new diffuser, exhaust and other aero parts. There are also reports that Ferrari are now using the Toyota wind tunnel for now and these updates will make the car one second faster.

The new flexible front wing should ensure that lack of front downforce is no longer a problem. One second a lap faster means:

- In qualifying, close to Red Bull
- In the race, the fastest

Istanbul Park may be Massa's favourite track, but Fernando's 108 point domination over Massa last year proves that Massa is no threat. Forza Fernando! Forza Ferrari!

Your thoughts?

To put my honest opinion to the subject of the thread:

Last year's Turkish GP was Alonso's worst weekend for a long time; he qualified 12th and finished 8th - but a collision he had with Petrov and the RBR crash vaulted him from 10th. It was Ferrari's worst moment of last year in general.

Massa loves this track and is currently confident; if Alonso beats him here then it is goodnight Vienna!

I doubt McLaren and Red Bull will be standing still either, however (although maybe McLaren would be better off if they did). I wouldn't decorate him with the garlands either.

Why use a toyota windtunnel when Ferrari have their own??? Doesnt make sense

There's a limit to the total number of windtunnel hours teams can now run during the season. If they want to get a lot of work done in a hurry, and they've only got one tunnel of their own, they can use somebody else's at the same time.

Ferrari mentioned when the car was unveiled that they planned to do some work at the Toyota windtunnel, so it's not a sudden decision (though they may have changed their schedule).

I do expect Ferrari to get closer to the front over the next few races. Whether it happens for Turkey, we'll see. They seem to be very sensitive to tyre temperature (again) so it might depend on the weather as much as anything.

I haven't let him off - just seeing if he can abide by simple instructions ;)

Sorry, I'll delete that! And I doubt it!

There's a limit to the total number of windtunnel hours teams can now run during the season. If they want to get a lot of work done in a hurry, and they've only got one tunnel of their own, they can use somebody else's at the same time.

Ferrari mentioned when the car was unveiled that they planned to do some work at the Toyota windtunnel, so it's not a sudden decision (though they may have changed their schedule).

Scuderia Loophole strike again! Do Ferrari have exclusive use of the Toyota windtunnel or is it a commitee thing?

Scuderia Loophole strike again! Do Ferrari have exclusive use of the Toyota windtunnel or is it a commitee thing?

Sorry, thinking about it I didn't word that very well - it's nothing to do with the restriction really. If Ferrari ran their own and Toyota's windtunnel for a whole day, they would count 48 hours to their total, so it's no advantage.

Sorry, thinking about it I didn't word that very well - it's nothing to do with the restriction really. If Ferrari ran their own and Toyota's windtunnel for a whole day, they would count 48 hours to their total, so it's no advantage.

Well, in that case what strategic advantage to Ferrari get?

Well, in that case what strategic advantage to Ferrari get?

They get to do double the amount of aero work than they would if they only used their windtunnel - potentially accelerating the rate of development. It offsets from the amount they'll able to do later in the season, but probably they think they need to make a big push now (and I'd agree).

I think its more about understanding why they're slow, because it doesn't seem that they know why the blue and silver cars are going away from them.

Given the problems of wind tunnel 'calibration' that others have suffered from, the big advantage to Ferrari now, as far as I can see, is in corroborating (or otherwise) the results from their own earlier tests by comparing data from two different wind tunnels.

Given the problems of wind tunnel 'calibration' that others have suffered from, the big advantage to Ferrari now, as far as I can see, is in corroborating (or otherwise) the results from their own earlier tests by comparing data from two different wind tunnels.

The problem, of course, being if the two sets of data do not corroborate, which do they trust? Its not like Toyota ever came up with a half-decent solution, is it?

No matter how many wind tunells you have the RRA restricts you to wind tunnel hours.So Ferrari cannot have gained any extra wind tunnell data by running two wind tunells.No matter how you slice the cake.The RRA states how many hours per month each team have in wind tunnell hours.

The problem, of course, being if the two sets of data do not corroborate, which do they trust? Its not like Toyota ever came up with a half-decent solution, is it?

True, but if their own results have already not been borne out on the track then at least they would have an alternative set of data to check them against and run some development parts on.

Back
Top Bottom