Poll DRS - Your opinions on it now

Do you like DRS now?

• Total voters
Building a load of new circuits is very very very expensive and other series have perfectly good racing on the existing circuits. It is the nature of the cars that is the root problem and not the nature of the circuits. Hence, I think that the solution is to change the nature of the cars and to do so without devolving technology. That is exactly what they have done and have been refining and it's working. There i now great racing in F1 between the teams and the drivers.

2009 v 2013 shows that DRS is needed because the track isn't condusive to non-DRS racing. Aren't people always complaining that Tilke tracks are rubbish for the very reason that they don't encourage overtaking? There is at least some skill in using KERS as it's limited to the time you can use it per lap, not only in prescribed areas (look how vettel used it to pass Rosberg). The tyres are a complete contrivance.
In 2014 i'm hoping drivers will have the option of a manual boost control - they can turn the boost up to overtake whilst mindful they don't run out of fuel, much like in the last turbo era - again an element of skill. I don't see where the skill is in pressing a button which not only makes you easily pass the guy in front, but where the guy being passed can do nothing about it. At least with boost control (hopefully) the guy in front can choose how he defends.

edit: ExtremeNinja - totally agree the cars surely have to be addressed - they tried it with the moveable front wing, then KERS, and now DRS. From my point of view the solution has to be to find a way of allowing cars to follow more closely through corners.
Not really a great deal can be done about the circuits, apart from making sure that future circuits are built to a spec that encourages overtaking in more than 1 or 2 places on the track.

People have complained about Tilke tracks in the past but changing the cars and the formula has proven us all wrong about that. It wasn't the tracks that were the problem at all, as it turns out. The fact is that a solution has been introduced and the results are inline with the aims. We now have a great racing series where drivers can race.

Kamui-FastestChefInTheWorld - I don't :) That job falls within the remit of the Overtaking Working Group, or whatever they're called. There's at least some skill to making your tyres last, as opposed to opening a flap which allows you to blast past the car in front without him being able to retaliate.

Hmmm. That's not what we saw today, though. There were close battles that went on for over 5 laps all the way up and down the field. Perez hardly breezed past Button. Most of the overtakes were on turn 4, too.

I believe the OWG looked at the Handford device, a device used in Indycar which fitted on the rear wing and stalled the air making it less efficient, which in turn made it easier for following cars to slipstream. Of course the problem of cars being able to follow one another in Indycar was never as much of an issue an in F1 due to F1 cars having flat floors and relying on the wings for the majority of downforce. GP2 cars don't seem to have the problem to the same extent as F1, and I believe they don't have flat floors? Perhaps one possible solution would be to give back some 'ground effect' downforce while still maintaining the minimum ride height regulation for safety reasons? :dunno:

edit: please bear in mind i'm not looking for a spec series. But it would be nice to see regs which both encouraged racing and overtaking whilst at the same time putting more emphasis on driver skill. I genuinely don't think that's asking a great deal.

Just the Pirellis probably would work but still not perfect as it doesn't allow flat-out racing. You're right though, it would place the emphasis more on driver skill, although it would still be as contrived as DRS. All purely in my opinion of course, others may disagree - I don't claim to have all the answers :)

Turn 4? Tell me, was there DRS going into Turn 4? :whistle:And the 'close battles' were DRS passing and re-passing, not staying behind looking for an opportunity.

I thought you meant easy overtaking in the DRS zone. Not passing by using the opposite line technique through a sequence of corners, which is what I saw happening. The more experienced and skilled drivers were also doing it to better effect.

[Edit]. When I say turn 4, I mean the sequence of turns 4 and 5.

As I have mentioned previous, I don't think the FIA or Bernie have any interest in the quality of the racing, they only care about the P&L sheet. Bernie can't be bothered to worry about whether actual racing takes place so long as he can siphon enough money off the sport that his daughters can afford to give Lamborghini Aventadors to their boyfriends.

One reason the changes ExtremeNinja and I support are so unpalatable to the powers that be is the trickle-down that would follow. F1 cars are so fast precisely because of this over-dependence on wing-generated downforce, so stepping away from so much aero undoubtedly will make the cars slower, at least initially. And this change must needs cascade down through the ranks, lest F1's brand prestige be damaged because its feeder series' cars are faster than its own. But imagine the gnashing of teeth among GP2 and GP3 teams, who aren't growing so fat off satellite TV revenues, over the prospect of having to spend so much money to create totally new cars because F1 want so go slower.

The easiest point to address to increase close racing, IMHO, would be the potential for catastrophic damage from light contact. Narrower and less fragile front wings are a good start. At the very least, teams should be prohibited using a front wing that can cause punctures to cars that weren't party to the collision. If that proves unsolvable while continuing to use carbonfibre, so be it.

There also needs to be renewed research into ground effects because it largely is unaffected by turbulence. It was outlawed out of safety concerns, not the least of which was its sensitivity to ride height. Ayrton Senna died because his car bottomed out and lost all ground effect downforce at the entry to a corner. That isn't an easy thing to get past but it is time for the sport to turn the page. But the teams need to know they can invest in the research to that end without the fear that the FIA will dismiss it out of hand.

The EBD was a step in the right direction but the FIA spit the mickey and banned it because they weren't clever enough to devise a means to regulate use of exhaust overrun. And they couldn't tolerate exhaust overrun because that was prima facie evidence the teams had out-clevered their ban on movable aerodynamic devices (which at best was a tortured interpretation of the TR). So they threw the baby out with the bathwater, despite EBDs having been in use since 1989.

There is no material reason movable aero should be limited. DRS was the camel's nose under the tent, the FIA's admission that it can be implemented safely in F1 (as if every aeroplane, helicopter, gyrocopter and airship on earth wasn't already proof of concept). And the adoption of DRS drove a stake through the heart of claims there was something un-sporting about it. A combination of smaller, simpler (single element, constant cross-section) but movable (at will) wings #1) would be cheaper to implement, and #2) could be at least a partial answer to the overtaking dilemma because a car's draught would be less turbulent when in low drag/ low downforce mode, hence it would be more over-takeable on straightaways. Then kick up the wing to a high angle of attack for cornering. Chaparral were building successful race cars in the 1960s using this same scheme of manoeuver. Fifty years on, I fail to see why it could not be adapted to F1.

You know in Wacky Races where Professor Pat Pending's car changes shape to overtake the cars in front? That in a nutshell is what DRS is.....

And you know when Dick Dastardly moves off into the lead and drops tin tacks all over the road to puncture the other racers tyres? That in a nutshell is what Pirelli tyres are about..

Yep we now have real life Wacky Races...

DRS is the main reason why I watch F1 less and less (and as a result I am hardly ever seen interwebbing about it here). My main qualm is that a man in a slower car virtually loses his right to stay ahead of a faster car. Would Gilles Villeneuve have won at Jarama in 1981 with the DRS around? No. Laffite, Watson, Reutemann and de Angelis would have been past him like a shot. Would Senna have defended from Mansell at Jerez (he nearly didn't anyway, but Mansell would have comfortably been through earlier and stopped the photo-finish), de Angelis from Rosberg at the Osterreichring. No, we would have been deprived of some of the greatest race finishes in the sport because the faster driver/car would have been given a clear way past an opponent. The skill of defending your position is now nigh on impossible, and the skill of attacking a driver and overtaking him is in danger of being lost, with the prevailing attitude of 'let the DRS do the work'.

Currently, my passion for F1 is rooted in the years before DRS and these bloody Pirelli tyres (What we needed, in my opinion, is a genuinely marginal choice between using one set of tyres to gain track position and defend a lead, or have a stop and use fresh tyres to create a 'chase' situation at the end. It's no surprise that from the mid eighties until the reintroduction of refuelling is a period which many fans get dewy-eyed about even now.)

Back
Top Bottom