Poll DRS - Your opinions on it now

Do you like DRS now?

• Total voters
Today saw even more ridiculous use of the DRS than usual.

Alonso had already passed the guy he had been chasing down but because he was within 1 second as they passed the detection point, he was still able to use DRS, despite already being past.

How ****ing ridiculous! :rolleyes:

And then there's the matter of being able to use it when passing back-markers.

:rolleyes:

Yeah and what about early on when Hamilton was leading, it allowed both Alonso in second and Massa in third to pass him, all on the same straight. Hamilton was a sitting duck, he went from first to third in one straight one DRS zone without doing anything wrong. He was penalised for being ahead almost giving a free pass to the Ferraris. That just cant be fair. I could understand if he’d mucked up the exit of the last corner but I don’t recall him doing so.

And speaking of mucking up the last corner. Alonso was setting up a move on someone later in the race (cant remember who now) but he mucked up the exit a little, ran a bit wide, bit of over steer etc and lost the run on the car in front. So normally he wouldn’t have been close enough to make a move that time and would have needed to wait and use the next lap to get back close enough and have another ago. But he had DRS, allowing him to immediately drive back up to the car in front using the speed advantage and even overtake! despite the mistake.

Its crazy, the car in front can make no mistakes but the cars behind can easily drive past, even with a mistake. The cars in front are defenceless… and often don’t even bother trying to defend anymore.

I know its worse at some tracks than others, but it’s not racing!

The big problem for me is that there seems to be no happy medium at pretty much any of the tracks, the zones either have no difference on overtaking, or make it way too easy

There's no need for two zones.

Infact, there's no need for DRS when we have tyres like this. The best overtakes are out of the DRS zones, and in this race it was Vettel passing Massa.

They brought in too many changes in one season to create what we have now. DRS, KERS and Pirelli tyres? A bit too much.

Tone it down by getting rid of DRS.

OK, I've only read the first two pages of comments before starting to type this - life really is too short.
My feelings about DRS were fairly positive when it was first brought in, and in the early stages of its usage.
The free-for-all usage in quali was way too much, so that abandonment is a good move.

My current thought about it is a bit like putting sugar in my tea.

When I were a lad my mum made my tea and, to get me to drink it, she added increasing amounts of sugar and milk because tea made her way was very strong, well past the boundary of bitterness, and very hot due to being boiled rather than allowed to brew.

In later years I didn't feel the need to scald the inside of my mouth by gulping down my tea, so the milk was dispensed with. This, in turn, allowed me to discover that the taste of tea is, in fact, really rather pleasant if brewed using the water's residual heat. From this point I rather quickly weaned myself off the over-usage of sugar - and found that my visits to the dentist were also more pleasant!

Now I drink tea more than ever, no milk or sugar, and savour the real taste - but I do still add a small spoonful to my black coffee.

So, to translate; DRS made F1 palatable to the chattering classes who needed more continuous thrill-fixes for when they weren't watching WWE wrestling, However, we'd be better off with less of it, or none at all, if the racing itself can be re-brewed into a more exciting sport without it. Failing any foolproof (or Newey-proof) way of doing that it should used more sparingly.

Odd numbered laps only :thinking: , maybe, no usage allowed for 3 laps after new tyres fitted :thinking: - and no multi-zone races at all.

Or to continue the football analogy, what if every time you got close to the oppositions net you could press a button that would make the net temporally much bigger giving the attacker a huge advantage making goal scoring much easier, almost certain. You may end up with 50, 60, 70 goals per game… would this be better?

BREAKING NEWS - Your idea has just been added to the next committee meeting of the MLS. ROFL

DRS has made overtaking much more important than it ever has been.

If you don't get the job done in 1 or 2 cracks then you're gonna lose mountains of time to the guys who did pass quickly and you're also gonna run your tires off quicker as you're stuck behind someone.

And before we completely lose our minds about DRS, why don't we just wait for some of the more traditional circuits where the usage is more moderate.

Personally, I don't have an issue with DRS.

My only gripe is that I am not really sure that anyone really knows what the problem was that it was put in to adress.

It creates more overtaking, yes. So do the Pirelli tyres, more so than the move to no refuelling. But deep down, I do not fully understand which bits of F1 are seen as broken, and in need of fixing by those who are in a positio to affect that change.

The people who watch f1 are an extremely diverse bunch, who all get something different out of it. You cannot ask all of them what they want, and the surveys I have seen are very leading in their questions. Also, it is important to understand which group is the most important to the sport, casual fans, die hards, which group drives the revenue, and sustains the sport most? Personally, I can't help thinking the attitude seems to be to appeal to the casual, as the die hards will always watch regardless.

This approach, seemingly without a coherent road map, nor a specified end state is what gets me, not the things which have been implemented to get "there" wherever that may be.

Its crazy, the car in front can make no mistakes but the cars behind can easily drive past, even with a mistake. The cars in front are defenceless… and often don’t even bother trying to defend anymore.

Vettel has historically tended to manage to stay out in front, somehow. Hamilton's problem was that his car was slower than the Ferrari - this is always liable to result in him being overtaken. If he'd had more than 1s lead...etc. etc.

Vettel historically tended to qualify on pole and then pull away out of DRS range in the first couple of laps before DRS was allowed to be used.

And Hamilton wasn’t so slow that both 2nd and 3rd placed cars could both drive past him on the same straight at the same time on the same lap without the DRS advantage. Yes he was slower and likely to be overtaken eventually, but without DRS we might have had a battle for the lead and a race for a few laps.

According to the speed trap figures for the weekend the Mercedes appeared to have a 5 or 6kph advantage over the Ferrari. The problem for Hamilton was that the Ferrari appeared to faster through the corners thus Alonso was able to keep him in DRS range for the pass. Massa benefited as well since he was able to stick with the pair and use his DRS to hustle through. The Lotus's performance characteristics appeared very close to the Mercedes so Kimi didn't have the same advantage.

The Ferrari looked solid all weekend so it was no surprise that once out front Alonso and Massa pulled away. What was a surprise was Massa falling back. I still wonder why that was because I missed seeing the reason for it. I can only surmise that Alonso failed to share his epiphany with regard to how to use the DRS for escape instead of attack.:)

Vettel has historically tended to manage to stay out in front, somehow. Hamilton's problem was that his car was slower than the Ferrari - this is always liable to result in him being overtaken. If he'd had more than 1s lead...etc. etc.

I completely agree but...

DRS is preventing us from seeing those epic battles we used to of supreme defending and supreme overtaking, pushing into mistakes, stalking to learn behaviour then striking. It's too easy and the battle element on too many occasions is getting wiped out.

Back
Top Bottom