Poll DRS - Your opinions on it now

Do you like DRS now?

• Total voters
The wing/spoiler in high downforce trim would give better grip (and hence safety) in corners and/or wet weather, and in the low downforce position would give reduced drag (and hence better economy) when the grip is not required.

Anyway, on the evidence of today's race and Silverstone it seems like GP3 needs DRS or something to improve the overtaking possibilities. :whistle:

At anything lower that Autobahn speeds, the vestigial wings on most production cars (particularly those without a distinguished sporting pedigree) produce relatively insignificant levels of downforce.

The Lotus Exige probably is the highest downforce car that costs less than a 2-bedroom flat in Kensington. It creates a measly 42 kilos/92 lbs downforce at 160 kph/100 mph, front splitter and rear wing combined. But even that mild amount of downforce costs it several kph in top speed, as well as several % in fuel economy (mostly at higher speeds).

Not to mention all wings (and wing actuation/adjustment mechanisms) add weight, which reduces both acceleration and fuel economy when driving at "around town" speeds, far too slow for those same wings to provide any function other than looking ace.

Which is why production cars without a decided sporting bent (and six-figure price tag) rely almost exclusively on mechanical grip.

Yes but the two-bedroom flat in Kensington generates even more downforce than the Lotus, and it does so without even having to move forward. :twisted:

Can someone tell me if the driver controlled front wings were ever used (c2010)?
There were supposed to be no restrictions on them and I never understood why the same couldn't be done at the back with DRS.

Yes, drivers could manipulate small winglets on the front wing from the cockpit in 2009 and I believe 2010 as well. They weren't changed very often however. Teams usually found an ideal setup and infrequently requested changes on the radio. I think the biggest issue was that they just weren't very powerful tools and in no way facilitated overtaking.

Thanks Keke, that pretty much confirms my sketchy recollection but I thought it was a larger foil on the front wing.
I guess it couldn't be too much or you'd risk massive understeer... probably more dangerous than reduced downforce at the back.

I still want unrestricted DRS though... (love being in the mionority on this).

The wing adjustments in 2009/2010 were only allowed twice during a lap, and a maximum movement of 6 degrees.

That said, there was no mention of only being allowed to use it in dry conditions when you were less than a second behind someone.

It's the last line that is fundamental to the arguement.
No one told the turbo boys when they could / couldn't press the fast button either and they seemed to amnge OK.
Exactly the same effect with a different tool... and exactly the same risks.

Andyoak I have no objection to DRS if anyone can use it whenever/wherever they want. Where I have difficulty with it is when a defending driver cannot use it just to improve the overtaking stats. I am a bit surprised that it is not used more by team mates as a leapfrog device.

I still want DRS to go and am open to expanding options with KERS. I am also still enamoured with my "russian roulette" option with DRS where there's a risk at each press of MORE wing being deployed. Mouahahaha. LOL

Or alternatively they could simply design extra-wide extentions to the track limits on the entry to tight corners. So that the normal racing line and fastest way round the corner would be to turn very wide on the outside during the braking zone and driving across a larger width of track to reach the corner's apex. That would leave a bigger gap on the inside for anyone trying to overtake.
Anybody trying to defend on the inside would find it more difficult to apply the power on corner exit as the line would tighten and having to defend again at the following corner and that's how you get a prolonged battle, and all of this be would entirely natural rather than artificial racing. At most modern tracks all that would involve would simply consist of painting the while lines further on the outside to create extra wide corner entries.

Last edited:
There is also the probable consequence of resulting inability for the driver to sit down properly for 4 or five months afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom