CTA Race of the Year 2013

The way people vote for races, I believe that the present system doesn't accurately reflect the race rankings. This is because (based on the comments) too many people seem to base their single vote on factors such as whether or not their favorite driver won, or the race venue.

While these factors should play a part, IMO, these shouldn't be the primary concerns. Hence, I think the voting could be better of we could have a weighted average of 3-4 factors such as race excitement, venue, driver, x factor (race's setting wrt the championship etc etc).

This would mean that a race like Brazil '12 would still be right up there, but a race like Hungary '13 may not be as high, both of which would seem fair to me.

I don't know how this would work with the site's voting functionalities, but I for 1 would like something of this sort to make the voting more fair.

And Hungary was bound to win even though it was completely shit...
According to your votes Meph, they were all shit though!

Of the 41 people who voted on both races, 16 preferred Hungary, 10 Bahrain and 15 marked them the same.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people saying "I liked it more because my favourite driver won"

Rachit Bedi I started off wanting to be able to remove the extreme views or bias that you talk about but in the end I changed my mind and I just don't see what you gain by trying to do that any more. This is a poll that shows the feelings and emotions of the CTA members about the races immediately after each event. As long as people are being truthful and voting based on their own enjoyment of the race I really don't care what criteria they are using.

I'm sure with a lot of work it would be possible to calculate a theoretical best race best on things like the number of overtakes etc., but you'll just end up with something that's completely devoid of emotion and just as "wrong" as what you started with. In fact, it's already been shown that there is pretty much no correlation between the number of overtakes and the race scores. There is also the point that if you make this more complicated less people will take part.

I understand people's reasons for wanting what you ask for, but for these reasons I won't be doing it myself.

Rachit Bedi you'll just end up with something that's completely devoid of emotion and just as "wrong" as what you started with.

What I'm trying to say is that an ideal situation for me is a vote which gives due weightage to emotions (favorite driver, favorite venue, viewer's home race etc), but is not driven purely by emotions. For example, I rated the Bahrain GP quite low because of Alonso's position in the race - something I was entitled to do but a decision that, in retrospect, was driven only by the position of my favorite driver and ignored the otherwise action packed racing all around. Under my proposal, I would still rate it low, but not as low as what I would have done otherwise.

And I agree with you that overtakes don't necessarily make good races, so I would like to restrict the criteria to just 3-4 which would not be based on any number crunching or data analysis, but of a viewer's assessment of the specific criteria.

Finally, agree fully with your point on the voting if the system becomes more complex. I am a financial analyst, so I did fail to take this into account:)

We could have multiple polls for multiple criteria but that would get messy and you risk missing certain factors that people may want to take in to account in their scores. It sounds like you have changed your criteria over the course of the season by thinking about what you're using to decide your scores, and maybe other people will do that as time goes on? You might find that the polls drift towards what you want anyway but I'm very reluctant to quadruple the voting work load as we were barely making it above 30 votes by the end of the season anyway.

no teabagyokel 16 members preferred Hungary, 10 Bahrain and 15 marked them the same. Those that liked Hungary generally liked it by more than those who preferred Bahrain.

Back
Top Bottom