First Entered 2010
Races Entered 20
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Team Lotus

Tony Fernandes' 1Malaysia F1 team lay claim to one of the most iconic names in F1, Team Lotus. Team Lotus, under the guidance of one of the greatest innovators in F1 Colin Chapman, was in F1 from 1958 to 1994. They took part in 491 Grands Prix, winning 73 races, 7 Constructors Titles, 6 Drivers Championships, 102 poles and 65 fastest laps. During this time some of the greatest F1 drivers drove for Team Lotus including Jim Clark, Stirling Moss, Ayrton Senna, Graham Hill, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jochen Rindt and Nigel Mansell.

2010 Team Lotus

With the support of the Malaysian government via Proton cars and two Malaysian Companies, Tune and Naza Groups, Tony Fernandes entered F1 under the Team Lotus name. Using Cosworth engines and Xtrac gearboxes Lotus signed up experienced drivers for their first season in F1 with Heikki Kovaleinen and Jarno Trulli.

The cars proved reasonably reliable although not quick enough to threaten the mid-field teams. Kovaleinen managed Lotus’ best finish with a 12th place in Japan and the team, based on count back of non-points scoring finishes, were placed 10th in the Constructors Championship – the best of the new teams for 2010.

Lotus announced during 2010 that they would switch to Renault engines for 2011 along with Red Bull gearbox and hydraulic technology. The same driver line up is retained and they will use the T128 chassis.

Whether the team continue to use the Lotus name will be decided in the British High Court. Proton, owners of the Group Lotus name, have moved their allegiance to the former Renault team although ownership of the Team Lotus name is in dispute as this was owned by David Hunt, brother of 1976 World Champion James and sold to Fernandes.

I was going to say the CT02 was off somewhere with the two seconds a lap they keep promising.

Interestingly I read this morning that Caterham are looking for a driver who not only has funds but the experience to lead the team hence why it seemed like Petrov was going to resign however it didn't happen which makes me think Petrov is going to Marussia. Could leave the way open for Kobi if they stick to their guns. He's done a decent job of leading Sauber for last two years.

This is slightly off topic but didn't Ligier always designate their F1 cars with odd numbers. Never quite sure why although they made (some pretty crappy) road cars as well.

edit: The even numbers were for their sportscars

When Adolf Hitler joined the Nazi Party (simply the D.A.P. back then) he was given membership number 555. He was the 55th member of said party, but counting started at 501 to make a small insignificant party seem bigger and more impressive.

Maybe the teams are making themselves look older by boosting their numbers like the D.A.P. did.

Tony Fernandes says he may leave QPR now that his investment is going south into the championship from the PL

Would that help Caterham or not?

It seems like ever since they gave up the Lotus name his passion has gone

Van Der Garde is the worst of the pay drivers in my opinion. Got well beat by his team mate in GP2 who was also a Caterham test driver so putting him in the seat can only be about funds.

Yet he won Renault 3.5 series a few years ago, So there must be some ability there even if his carrer has stalled a little. I think this "there all just bloody pay drivers" has gone a bit OTT in my opinion

Are there any sources to find out the times he did in Free practice last season? It would be interesting to find out how he compared to his teammate.

van der Garde's test were not for lap time.
Even in Abu Dhabi YDT, he was doing performance tests rather than having a fast set-up.

He won World Series in 2008 and he has always been near the top in GP2. He was challenging (leading) for the '11 title until Bianchi became attracted to him. Of course he's not going to reach the level of Webber/Button/Massa, but for the backmarker teams, I think he's quite a decent driver.

He won his first GP2 race just last season.

I don't usually shout 'pay driver' but with the choice between VDG and Razia I don't know how the landed on VDG unless it was money based

Thanks to the magic of Wikipedia:

CTA.png

Still not impressed. Who has feeder team in GP2 and then takes on the driver who finishs 6th in the championship rather than 2nd?

"Sir Fernando Alonso is at the door. He says he'd like to drive for us next year"
"Alonso? Sod that bugger we're giving the seat to Mark Webber"

HIs first season in GP2 seemed really good, the rest of the results don't seem that good.

Everyone in that finished in the top 5 of GP2 got a seat, apart from the winner, puzzling that.

I would have taken Valsecchi, over the rest, apart from Razia, he seems to have peaked.

I think he's saying he doesn't understand why they're taking the guy who finished 6th (van der Garde) rather than the guy who finished 2nd (Razia, who is not in F1 this season).

Razia was part of the Caterham F1 team. He was their reserve driver in 2011 and did Friday sessions. He drove for them at the young driver test this year. So as they were part of the same team they are team mates. So when you commend them for 'promoting' their test driver remember they promoted their test driver who paid 7 Million dollers to be it and not the guy who got it on talent. My facts may be off but
my point remains

(Razia is in at Marussia we think)

Back
Top Bottom