First Entered 2010
Races Entered 20
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Team Lotus

Tony Fernandes' 1Malaysia F1 team lay claim to one of the most iconic names in F1, Team Lotus. Team Lotus, under the guidance of one of the greatest innovators in F1 Colin Chapman, was in F1 from 1958 to 1994. They took part in 491 Grands Prix, winning 73 races, 7 Constructors Titles, 6 Drivers Championships, 102 poles and 65 fastest laps. During this time some of the greatest F1 drivers drove for Team Lotus including Jim Clark, Stirling Moss, Ayrton Senna, Graham Hill, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jochen Rindt and Nigel Mansell.

2010 Team Lotus

With the support of the Malaysian government via Proton cars and two Malaysian Companies, Tune and Naza Groups, Tony Fernandes entered F1 under the Team Lotus name. Using Cosworth engines and Xtrac gearboxes Lotus signed up experienced drivers for their first season in F1 with Heikki Kovaleinen and Jarno Trulli.

The cars proved reasonably reliable although not quick enough to threaten the mid-field teams. Kovaleinen managed Lotus’ best finish with a 12th place in Japan and the team, based on count back of non-points scoring finishes, were placed 10th in the Constructors Championship – the best of the new teams for 2010.

Lotus announced during 2010 that they would switch to Renault engines for 2011 along with Red Bull gearbox and hydraulic technology. The same driver line up is retained and they will use the T128 chassis.

Whether the team continue to use the Lotus name will be decided in the British High Court. Proton, owners of the Group Lotus name, have moved their allegiance to the former Renault team although ownership of the Team Lotus name is in dispute as this was owned by David Hunt, brother of 1976 World Champion James and sold to Fernandes.

Both Pic and van der Garde dropped it on inters, but don't forget Giedo was 17th on the wets.
In the race it turned out his left rear tire was slowly leaking air. Until then, he was ahead. We'll have to wait for Malaysia to (hopefully) see the first real balance.

Second stint, when Pic passed him.
Aside from that second stint and a few spikes, there was very little in between their lap times.

Just checked and Chilton did better lap times than Pic as well for the majority of the race. I guess an extra pit stop cost him.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...am-following-Bernie-Ecclestone-s-merger-claim

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere (apologies if someone has posted this already). Seems like it's tough times for Caterham; Marrusia have caught up, if not passed them, and if/when QPR get relegated Tony Fernandes is going to have to decide if he can afford to keep throwing cash at Caterham F1, AirAsia and QPR. With Caterham F1 being the only one of the three which Fernandes more-or-less funds himself I wouldn't be surprised if Caterham weren't on the grid next year.

There was a rumour that Heiki will be driving the Friday session in Bahrain in order for Caterham to get the opinion of an 'experienced' driver to belp with upgrades and to help improve the car (it was mentioned on Sky during first practice) and Fernadez had brought Heiki into the garage in Malaysia so this is completely unexpected.

A little bit of a slap in the face for the new guys. Charles Pic was under ten seconds behind Bianchi and under twenty seconds behind the srcond Williams at the end of China though with GVD over two thirds of a lap behind him so if this is about pushing the team forward then it is clear who SHOULD make way but it doesn't always work like that.

I think we'll see him in thw race sooner rather than later which will finally give us something to gage the new king of the back runners Jules Bianchi against.

Although I'll be glad to see both guys in the car, wouldn't it make sense to have one of your regular drivers in the same session as Kovalainen or Rossi. Then you would have a perfect comparison as to where they stand. By putting two guys into the car for the first time, at the same time, you may have trouble comparing relative pace to the regular drivers. Oh well, can't wait!

KekeTheKing - Yeah, they need to run Kovalainen off against Pic to really find out where they are. Unless Van Der Garde has Albers syndrome with non-paying Dutch sponsors and it is a play-off for the second seat on the quiet.

I think Kovi and Rossi may be the race line up by the time we get to Texas.

Kovi is supposedly in to run upgrades and help them sort the car so they won't be looking at comparrisons. I do agree its odd.

teabagyokel - Van der Garde's father-in-law is the owner of McGregor (who are his main sponsor) so I don't think he has to worry about non-paying sponsors (unfortunately).

Back
Top Bottom