First Entered 2010
Races Entered 20
Race Wins 0
Pole Positions 0
Fastest Laps 0
Driver World Championships 0
Constructor World Championships 0

Team Lotus

Tony Fernandes' 1Malaysia F1 team lay claim to one of the most iconic names in F1, Team Lotus. Team Lotus, under the guidance of one of the greatest innovators in F1 Colin Chapman, was in F1 from 1958 to 1994. They took part in 491 Grands Prix, winning 73 races, 7 Constructors Titles, 6 Drivers Championships, 102 poles and 65 fastest laps. During this time some of the greatest F1 drivers drove for Team Lotus including Jim Clark, Stirling Moss, Ayrton Senna, Graham Hill, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jochen Rindt and Nigel Mansell.

2010 Team Lotus

With the support of the Malaysian government via Proton cars and two Malaysian Companies, Tune and Naza Groups, Tony Fernandes entered F1 under the Team Lotus name. Using Cosworth engines and Xtrac gearboxes Lotus signed up experienced drivers for their first season in F1 with Heikki Kovaleinen and Jarno Trulli.

The cars proved reasonably reliable although not quick enough to threaten the mid-field teams. Kovaleinen managed Lotus’ best finish with a 12th place in Japan and the team, based on count back of non-points scoring finishes, were placed 10th in the Constructors Championship – the best of the new teams for 2010.

Lotus announced during 2010 that they would switch to Renault engines for 2011 along with Red Bull gearbox and hydraulic technology. The same driver line up is retained and they will use the T128 chassis.

Whether the team continue to use the Lotus name will be decided in the British High Court. Proton, owners of the Group Lotus name, have moved their allegiance to the former Renault team although ownership of the Team Lotus name is in dispute as this was owned by David Hunt, brother of 1976 World Champion James and sold to Fernandes.

well 3 years now and still they have not scored any points and I do begin to wonder if Tony Fernandes realises the initial hype and flirt with F1 has gone as he wants to succeed with QPR

I would have thought they would have been closer to STR by now but still no points

Heikki is wasted at the team and deserves better

Not sure if the team are as optimistic as they once were when they had the Lotus name

Don't expect Caterham to be moving any further up the grid next season, as according to Kovalainen they'll be using their 2012 chassis again next year.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/caterham-to-use-2012-chassis-next-year-kovalainen/

Asked by the Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat how he expects Caterham to go next season, Kovalainen said: "It's hard to say.
"But when the team has decided to continue with the same chassis for the new car, it may not be a good sign,"
Most teams sign off on their next season's monocoque design by June/July, so it's something Kovalainen would know. Presumably the team are trying to seriously reduce next season's costs without the WCC money this year after falling below Marussia.

Is their line up for next year finalised now?

They signed Pic this morning, has Petrov already been confirmed?

Edit: Just seen Viscount's post above, so it will be all change then.

I think the other seat is between Bruno Senna and Van Der Garde. Unless they land 10th at the weekend I think Kovi has gone too.

I think Bruno will get the seat because of sponsorship money. I believe Tony Fernandes is more interested in the premiership football with QPR who sacked Mark Hughes today and spending his resources there so Caterham need new investment and I can;t see them moving up fast

The premiership is more financially rewarding given the investment compared to Caterham racing at the moment

I've got a feeling we may see Petrov back in a Caterham next year, he rescued them that 10th position in the championship. Plus Vitaly has more than match Kovalainen throughout the season.

Vitaly needs to gather together some more Roubles to keep his drive for next year doesn't he? Now that his mate is back in charge of Russia will he get some cash?

It looks as if Caterham are all set to confirm Petrov in their second seat next year which is a shocker. Apparently they are just waiting for his funds to clear.

I'd have prefered Razia but at least its not Bruno. Apparently he got the nod due to experience as well as funds.

Funds have to clear in the account yet Ninja but yes it is good news because it would have been a shame for him to go after a pretty good season.

Can't help but feel a bit bad for Kovi though and I do hope Razia gets his chance eventually.

Yep. It is sad for Kovi, but he has been around a while now and proved to be nothing more than a fairly solid driver. I think Kovi's time has come, TBH. That is not to say that I don't think that he deserves his seat over some of the others on individual merit, though.

RasputinLives

Like I already said no GP2 champion and runner up on the grid next season ! on another post

I think with Petrov its purely marketing and hoping to get more funds from him being Russia's only F1 driver and the Grand Prix around next year

RasputinLives ExtremeNinja

Heiki got badly treated by Briatore in being manouvred for Alonso in 2008. The Mclaren drive did not work out as he seems to get more bad luck with tyres and pit stop problems. 2009 he was soundly thrashed it has to be said
He's done well in keeping the team spirit up for Caterham as team leader..it is very unfortunate he finds himself in such a situation

He probably did suit a midfield team better than a front running team being a solid driver and not quite world class driver as promised

Il_leone I think your wrong about Petrov. He matched Kovi all season and pulled the drive out of the bag when they needed him in Brazil. I think they needed a driver with funds but were keen to plump for Petrov when he came up with them because they know what there getting and he knows the team. We all know his funding is limited and he's had to scrabble round for this seasons so it would have been much easier fir them to plump for Senna with all the cash behind him.

Lets give credit where credit is due.

RasputinLives

I think Caterham are going to do some aggressive Russian marketing right up to the grand prix and use Petrov as the leverage

Petrov has some ability but I do feel Heikki deserves better

I did a little digging (you made me curious), and a poster on f1technical.net said it's going to be used for a roadcar made by Caterham and Alpine Renault. It's said here as well.

Back
Top Bottom