Bahrain GP Debate

Hmmm whats this then.
bahr-20122-886x570.jpg

I honestly don't know what to believe any more sportsman

So many vested interests and everyone playing the media like a fiddle. In truth though, that could be a scene from my University window (Leeds 1993-96) where there were cars set on fire in the next door field almost every night.

I prefer to believe BBC24 - although one could claim bias as they lost F1 broadcasting rights - and where were these guys when Force India and Sauber(?) had their moments?

Edit - BBC24 covered various 'demonstrations' - sorry, should have made that a bit clearer.

jenov2003
I believe this.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/apr/23/channel-4-journalists-arrested-bahrain
A group of Channel 4 News journalists, including foreign affairs correspondent Jonathan Miller, has been deported from Bahrain after they were arrested while covering the controversial Formula One grand prix.
Miller, his cameraman, a producer, their driver and a prominent human rights campaigner were arrested by Bahrain authorities while filming a demonstration in the Gulf city on Sunday.
In an audio dispatch from the back of a police car, Miller said the police were very aggressive and violently attacked the group's driver.
The three Channel 4 News journalists were released from detention after nearly six hours and deported to the UK late on Sunday. The driver, named Ali, and human rights activist, Dr Ala'a Shehabi, were released later.

I believe that too. There is clearly an amount of police brutality which is totally unacceptable. But I also believe the reports which have described the vast majority of the country as peaceful.

I have read the reports of police beatings and can believe that the police have killed and/or tortured demonstrators. I have also seen pictures of not-so-peaceful demonstrators with their petrol bombs and burning tyre barricades. This is so different from the human chain you described in one or your earlier posts sportsman or people standing in front of tanks as they roll in.

Does the opposition represent the majority or a tiny minority? Does it represent even the majority of Shias? I just don't know... Are they extremists or is it the government that are the extremists? Have the majority of good people just been scared witless so they daren't protest or do they think that their noble cause has been hijacked by troublemakers?

All of which can only be revealed by a democracy. Obviously there are at least some (very) bad elements of the regime and police force, but the same question goes. Are these on the loony fringe or are they in charge of the asylum? I don't know. I want to know the truth so all these contradictions are just so confusing.

I just don't want to come down on either side of this until we know the truth. Right now it looks to me most like two wrongs not making a right.

sportsman I don't remember any buildings or roads like that in Headingley. The smoke could be, but you'd have to go back a few years to when there was real engineering in Leeds.

KekeTheKing Hi Keke. There's a very different article about Bahrain on the Autosport Plus website written by Dieter Rencken. He's a very good journalist/photographer with much experience in other motorsport related areas. It just goes to show, two people in the same place at the same time viewed things completely differently. It's impossible to say whether anyone is right, or whether anyone came away from Bahrain untouched.

jez101 - Jez I don't know whose reports you've been reading regarding the vast majority of the country as peaceful, but they're absolutely absurd.
The word vast can't and shouldn't be used in describing Bahrain. The entire country has a land area of only 741 sq km's and half of that in the south is unpopulated desert, or sparsely populated at best. When trouble breaks out in such a tiny island nation there is nowhere to run and hide. It affects everyone, unless your one of the elite or are locked away in a comfortable hotel. Even then these people know when to stay off the streets for the sake of their own safety
It's worth remembering if one reporter with his own agenda makes one inaccurate statement and enough repeat it, people believe it's fact...... It's not.

Oh but the BBC would never go against her majesty. The Guardian has not even mentioned it. It's not like the royal family is condoning this behaviour by inviting him to this dinner while this sporting event should have been kept out of the political sphere.

The hypocrisy of this place sickens me.

Back
Top Bottom