Ask The Apex

"The Corner is called 'Mouse Trap' on the new track Blister Berg in Germany. Mouse trap is unbelievably steep into a very tight left hander and the rest of the lap is a real roller coaster ride - very challenging. Designed by a Mr Tilke no less. The venue is very, very well presented, absolutely immaculate. http://www.bilster-berg.de"

That track looks quality, I'd love to see a F1 car around it at full chat, but there's certinally not enough run off.

It's nice to see that tilke can design a good track when he's not constrained by silly rules.

I know the answer to this but I wonder if anyone else does so:

Who is the only non racing driver to die driving a formula one car at a circuit?

I say at a circuit because years ago sometimes the mechanics would drive the cars home after a race or testing and some may have died in that way I don't know...

Last edited:
I've not heard of an F1 car running out of air before like what happened to Grosjean yesterday. Is this air injected in to the cylinders as part of the fuel/air mix for combustion or something else? Is it pure Oxygen or really just "normal" air? How do road cars get their air?

So many probably obvious questions...

The compressed air is used to lift the valves amongst other mechanical things. It is not fed into the engine as the amount of air needed would mean a huge tank and extra weight, but it is the best way to control certain processes within the engine during normal running.

It sounded like there was a leak in the system for Grosjean yesterday as even after filling up he ran out again which is no normal for this type of engine as is proven by all the other cars not having his issue.

sushifiesta

Pneumatic valves in F1 engines are fed in a closed system. I think they actually use nitrogen to pressurise a chamber in each valve housing. When a valve is opened by the action of the cam, the pressure in the chamber is increased and acts like a spring to return the valve to the closed position.

There are several advantages over using coiled valve springs (as found in one's family car engine). Coiled springs are unable to cope with the high rev's of the modern F1 engine, but a very useful bonus with pneumatic valves is that the valve timing can be varied. By changing the pressure in the system, valve response can be modified to advance or retard the timing. That is controlled by the ECU and is how engineers were able to develop and use Hot Blown EBD's. Varying the valve timing enabled them to inject fuel and burn it during the exhaust stroke to cause the hotter exhaust blowing to the diffuser.

Knowing your interest in things scientific, our old mate Scarb's describes it here: http://scarbsf1.com/valves.html and you might like this page: http://xorl.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/valve-timing-and-variable-valve-timing/

Last edited:
Fenderman I did more or less remember that Renault introduced the technology in the 1985-86 period. There was that story at the time that that the system meant Lotus were able to remove the "wastegate" (device used to prevent turbo boost from rocketing up out of control) during qualifying laps.
There was that anecdote that Prost in 1986 has somehow gotten wind of what Lotus were doing. Now Porsche, unlike Honda, Renault or BMW, had never designed a special "qualifying specs" for its TAG turbo. So Alain, keen on better qualifying laps kept requesting Ron Dennis to allow for McLaren mechanics to do likewise and remove the wastegate devices. Ron eventually relented and Prost got his wish before one of the qualifying sessions that year, with one proviso, in the words of Ron: "OK have it your way, but if the engine breaks apart you will pay it to Porsche out of your own pocket. I will take the cost off your salary!"
So Alain began the qualifying session with confidence at the wheel of his newly super-boosted McLaren-TAG... for about 40 seconds. He hadn't even finished exiting the pits before the engine exploded in a very expensive cloud of blue smoke....

Whatever shortcomings the Renault'sV6 turbo had in terms of fuel consumption, its ability to withstand very high levels of boost in the 1,200-plus bhp era certainly was right up there with the best in quali!

How many drivers have won the championship in a car that didn't win the constuctors championship?

Of the top of my head I can name Hamilton and Hakkinen and I think Schumacher and Prost also managed it?

You could also add these drivers to that list.

Alberto Ascari
Jack Brabham
Juan Manuel Fangio
Nino Farina

I'm being a bit naughty or stretching the point a little.;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom