Ask The Apex

These questions may be impossible to answer, but if there is anywhere to ask them, it's CTA.

On how many occasions was the Pole Position time set on a Friday/First Qualifying Session?

How many races have started without the Pole Position car? (Either stalled/spun on formation lap or stalled at race start)

How many GP have been shortened due to extra formation laps (stalled cars) or Re-starts due to pileup crashes?

2001 at Spa Montoya was on pole with Ralf Schumacher qualifying second.

Montoya had his engine blow on the second lap, de la Rosa had a big accident on the same lap. F1.com says : "Race stopped after four laps because of accident." I can't remember why they didn't stop it earlier. Anyway they had a restart, Ralf Schumacher's car was still did not have it's wheels on in time for the restart so Michael Schumacher started from pole the second time around.

Thanks tooncheese , but it was another shortened race that really got me thinking about this the other day. The 2001 Belgian GP was run over just 36 Laps after a total of 3 formation laps and a red flag on lap 5. So it was 44 minus 8.

And no Mephistopheles, Belgium 98 was restarted and ran 44 laps

edit - You just beat me Bill, but it was Burti's accident on Lap 5 that stopped the race with M. Schumacher leading.

2001 at Spa Montoya was on pole with Ralf Schumacher qualifying second.

Montoya had his engine blow on the second lap, de la Rosa had a big accident on the same lap. F1.com says : "Race stopped after four laps because of accident." I can't remember why they didn't stop it earlier. Anyway they had a restart, Ralf Schumacher's car was still did not have it's wheels on in time for the restart so Michael Schumacher started from pole the second time around.

It's all in the 2001 Belgium Highlight video I made for the Highlight thread

Last edited:
Now I am totally confused about Spa 2001, maybe being there did not help! According to http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2001/47/ :

Race stopped after four laps because of accident. Race restarted for 36 of original 44 laps.

Ret 8 Jenson Button Benetton-Renault 17 Spun off 15

Ret 6 Juan Pablo Montoya Williams-BMW 1 Engine 1
Ret 19 Pedro de la Rosa Jaguar-Cosworth 1 Collision 10
Ret 16 Nick Heidfeld Sauber-Petronas 0 Collision 14
Ret 17 Kimi Räikkönen Sauber-Petronas 0 Transmission 12
Ret 18 Eddie Irvine Jaguar-Cosworth 0 Collision 17
Ret 23 Luciano Burti Prost-Acer 0 Collision 18
Ret 21 Fernando Alonso Minardi-European 0 Gearbox 20

Add Australia 1993, and Japan 1998 to the list, each with two restarts.

Also Belgium 1998 was restarted over the original distance.

I wasn't looking for races that were restarted due to a non -first lap incident (ie Japan 1994), so I may have missed some.

Back
Top Bottom