Ask The Apex

Depends on your definition of furthest away (points, places, percentage of points). There have been some huge differences, the biggest I know are:
1963 Clark 54, Taylor 1. Teammate 15th, 53 points difference, Clark scored actually 73 points, but only 6 results counted, so you could say difference is 72. I'm not sure if Taylor was really Clarks teammate though.
1981 Piquet 50, Rebaque 11. Teammate 10th place, 39 points difference.
1982 Rosberg 44, Daly 8. Teammate 13th place, 36 points difference. Daly didn't do all the races though. Reutemann scored 6 points in 2 races (16th), Andretti no points in one race (funny one, actually a former WDC that didn't score while his teammate went on to win the WDC. He only drove one race for Williams that year, later he drove two for Ferrari, in one of which he scored 4 points, so I wouldn't take this one too seriously).
1983 Piquet 59, Patrese 13 (including a gifted win, Piquet was leading, but dropped to 3th, because that was enough for the WDC). Teammate 9th place, 46 points difference.
1985 Prost 73, Lauda 14. Teammate 10th place, 59 points difference. A (reigning!) WDC thoroughly beaten by his teammate.

It also depends on your definition of teammate: must he race the whole year for the team, or are a few races (or even one) enough. And what if they have a customer car?
There's probably somewhere a teammate that scored no points while his teamleader got crowned WDC (I already mentioned Andrette above). In 1970 Rindt had several teammates. I'm not sure who they were and if they scored points while racing with Rindt. Fittipaldi scored 13 points, but won after Rindt had died, so during Rindts 'races he only scored 4 points (in his first race, he raced two races while Rindt was living, not counting Italy). Wisell also drove for Lotus that year, but scored 4 points after Rindt died, not sure if he drove for Lotus while Rindt was living. And Miles drove a Lotus and scored 2 points in the first race of that year. I'm too lazy to look up the details.

Which was the last team to enter F1 as a completely new team (not taking over and rebranding an old team like Brawn or Red Bull, but starting from scratch or moving to F1 from another series) and win the driver's championship?

Also, which was the last new team to enter F1 and win a race?

"Also, which was the last new team to enter F1 and win a race?"

In the same season? don't think The Walter Wolf entry counts,

Otherwise Stewart GP, started in 97 first and only win under the same name Luxemburg GP 99 with Johnny Herbert

Sorry to Double post but i Have two questions.

Why did Brabham switch back and forth between BMW and Ford engines in 81'?
And was there ever any plans to extend Doningtons place on the calendar in 1993 or was it always just going to be an one off event?

Thats on the new points scoring system Josh

The correct answer is Schumacher 92 Verstappen 10.

and before the argument of Jos not being in all season is presented I'll point out he did 12 races that season and due to Schumi's ban and DQ he only did 13!

No, but 134 points on the new system is the equivalent of just over 50 points on the old system, so that makes the 82 point gap a much larger difference.

Which was the last team to enter F1 as a completely new team (not taking over and rebranding an old team like Brawn or Red Bull, but starting from scratch or moving to F1 from another series) and win the driver's championship?

That definition would exclude Red Bull, Brawn, Renault and Benetton, so the answer is Williams, since Ferrari and McLaren are both older.

Of course, the former incarnations of Red Bull (Stewart), Brawn (BAR), Renault and Benetton (Toleman) were all founded after Williams.

Sorry to Double post but i Have two questions.

Why did Brabham switch back and forth between BMW and Ford engines in 81'?
And was there ever any plans to extend Doningtons place on the calendar in 1993 or was it always just going to be an one off event?
1982 was the first year of the BMW turbo and at the start it was very unreliable, just as the early Renault and Ferrari turbos had been. As the defending champions Brabham didn't want to waste the season so switched back to the reliable but less powerful Cosworth for several races while the issues with the BMW were fixed. As it turned out the whole episode cost them too much time and momentum for a title challenge to be possible.

Donington was a one-off to replace a race that had been taken off the calendar at short notice. I can't remember which, maybe Mexico?

Having scouted around on the internet, apparently Bernie had planned a race in Asia to replace Mexico (maybe Aida ultimately fulfilled that role?) but couldn't sort it out in time, hence Donington.

Back
Top Bottom