Ask The Apex

Maldonado got a three place penalty for impeding Hulkenberg, but I thought the only options open to the stewards were five or ten place grid drops. Am I wrong and have there been other examples of grid drops other than 5 or 10 (or to the back)?

I haven't seen the incident but raises an issue that could represent a bit of a loophole.
I don't know if that's what the stewards based their judgement on but if a driver is neither on an in nor an out-lap, and if he aborts a lap after a mistake, gearing up for antother go, does he still have to give way to fa faster car behind? Or is entitled to drive his own lap even though he has no chance of posting a competitive time?

Maldonado got a three place penalty for impeding Hulkenberg, but I thought the only options open to the stewards were five or ten place grid drops. Am I wrong and have there been other examples of grid drops other than 5 or 10 (or to the back)?
Lewis Hamilton and Sergio Perez were given 3 place grid drops for ignoring double waved yellows in FP1 at the Indian GP in 2011.

The FIA document in this case states: The driver of Car 18 was warned by his team not to "hold up" Car 12 which was behind him, yet he clearly did impede Car 12. However as Car 12 continued into Q2 a more severe penalty was not considered appropriate.

True - but Schumacher's ban was issued at the British GP (And subsequently increased). - Hakkinen's was given at the next race (Hockenheim)....

I'm sure there MUST be someone else who has had a 1 race ban since then.....

Josh

I always thought the BAR ban was an odd one back in 2005...

The punishment actually didn't seem to be because of the cars running underweight, but instead because the team mis-led the stewards... Or at least, one of the truckies mis-lead the stewards, when asked whether the car was emptied of fuel, the truckie said yes!.... This wasn't quite as egregious a case of cheating as Tyrrell back in 1984 (And probably not even as bad as Benetton in 1994), but it does always ask some questions!

The Artist..... I thought the ban was because they were using fuel as ballast. They accepted that fact that at no time was the car ever underweight but it was using the fuel in the second fuel tank to be the correct weight that was the issue.

RasputinLives - As far as I remember, they were disqualified from the San Marino race for using fuel as ballast, but, their subsequent 2 race ban was for deceiving the stewards....

FIA president Max Mosley said: "The facts in this case are very clear.
"The team was asked to pump the fuel out of their car. They left 15 litres in the tank and told us it was empty.
"Under the circumstances, we feel they have been treated rather leniently."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4514569.stm

Back
Top Bottom